JILL BARNHOLTZ-SLOAN, PH.D.
Associate Director for Clinical Informatics
Dr. Jill Barnholtz-Sloan, Ph.D., is the Sally S. Morley Designated Professor in Brain Tumor Research in the Case Comprehensive Cancer Center. Her research focuses on genetic/molecular epidemiology of complex diseases, with a particular focus on cancer. She is multi-disciplinary trained in biostatistics, population genetics, and human genetics, and has rich experience in multi-center cancer studies. The main thrust of her research is two-fold: (1) as an integral biostatistical/epidemiological co-investigator on multiple externally funded studies (i.e. “team science”) and (2) as an independent brain tumor researcher and collaborator. She is the Associate Director for Bioinformatics for the Case Comprehensive Cancer Center and the Associate Director for Clinical Informatics for the Institute for Computational Biology.
In her role as a team scientist, Dr. Barnholtz-Sloan is sought for her biostatistical/bioinformatics expertise and collaborate on studies as the expert in these disciplines. She assists investigators with robust study design, data analysis and interpretation of results. At the core of her independent research efforts is her work on utilizing genomic information on brain tumors to better sub-classify these tumors and associate this information with clinical outcomes. Because brain tumors are a rare cancer (representing only 1-2% of all adult cancers), multi-center projects are necessary in order to have the samples size needed for appropriate statistical power. Since coming to CWRU, she has successfully established a multi-center biorepository network within Ohio, the Ohio Brain Tumor Study (OBTS), which has served as a multi-site tissue source site for The Cancer Genome Atlas and currently serves as a multi-site therapeutic clinical trial network for the Governor’s Ohio Clinical Trials Collaborative.
Molecular Profiling Reveals Biologically Discrete Subsets and Pathways of Progression in Diffuse Glioma.
Ceccarelli M, Barthel FP, Malta TM, Sabedot TS, Salama SR, Murray BA, Morozova O, Newton Y, Radenbaugh A, Pagnotta SM, Anjum S, Wang J, Manyam G, Zoppoli P, Ling S, Rao AA, Grifford M, Cherniack AD, Zhang H, Poisson L, Carlotti CG, Tirapelli DP, Rao A, Mikkelsen T, Lau CC, Yung WK, Rabadan R, Huse […]
American Brain Tumor Association Adolescent and Young Adult Primary Brain and Central Nervous System Tumors Diagnosed in the United States in 2008-2012.
Ostrom QT, Gittleman H, de Blank PM, Finlay JL, Gurney JG, McKean-Cowdin R, Stearns DS, Wolff JE, Liu M, Wolinsky Y, Kruchko C, Barnholtz-Sloan JS,.
, Brat DJ, Verhaak RG, Aldape KD, Yung WK, Salama SR, Cooper LA, Rheinbay E, Miller CR, Vitucci M, Morozova O, Robertson AG, Noushmehr H, Laird PW, Cherniack AD, Akbani R, Huse JT, Ciriello G, Poisson LM, Barnholtz-Sloan JS, Berger MS, Brennan C, Colen RR, Colman H, Flanders AE, Giannini C, Grifford M, Iavarone A, […]
Alex’s Lemonade Stand Foundation Infant and Childhood Primary Brain and Central Nervous System Tumors Diagnosed in the United States in 2007-2011.
Ostrom QT, de Blank PM, Kruchko C, Petersen CM, Liao P, Finlay JL, Stearns DS, Wolff JE, Wolinsky Y, Letterio JJ, Barnholtz-Sloan JS,. The CBTRUS Statistical Report: Alex’s Lemonade Stand Foundation Infant and Childhood Primary Brain and Central Nervous System Tumors Diagnosed in the United States in 2007–2011 comprehensively describes the current population-based incidence of […]
Brennan CW, Verhaak RG, McKenna A, Campos B, Noushmehr H, Salama SR, Zheng S, Chakravarty D, Sanborn JZ, Berman SH, Beroukhim R, Bernard B, Wu CJ, Genovese G, Shmulevich I, Barnholtz-Sloan J, Zou L, Vegesna R, Shukla SA, Ciriello G, Yung WK, Zhang W, Sougnez C, Mikkelsen T, Aldape K, Bigner DD, Van Meir EG, […]
- Azzam, S, Schlatzer, D, Maxwell, S, Li, X, Bazdar, D, Chen, Y, Asaad, R, Barnholtz-Sloan, J, Chance, MR, Sieg, SF et al.. Proteome and Protein Network Analyses of Memory T Cells Find Altered Translation and Cell Stress Signaling in Treated Human Immunodeficiency Virus Patients Exhibiting Poor CD4 Recovery. Open Forum Infect Dis 2016; 3 (2): ofw037. PubMed PMID:28293663 PubMed Central PMC4866573.
- Peres, LC, Moorman, PG, Alberg, AJ, Bandera, EV, Barnholtz-Sloan, J, Bondy, M, Cote, ML, Funkhouser, E, Peters, ES, Schwartz, AG et al.. Lifetime number of ovulatory cycles and epithelial ovarian cancer risk in African American women. Cancer Causes Control 2017; : . PubMed PMID:28251458 .
- Terry, PD, Qin, B, Camacho, F, Moorman, PG, Alberg, AJ, Barnholtz-Sloan, JS, Bondy, M, Cote, ML, Funkhouser, E, Guertin, KA et al.. Supplemental Selenium May Decrease Ovarian Cancer Risk in African-American Women. J. Nutr. 2017; : . PubMed PMID:28202637 .
- Bell, EH, Pugh, SL, McElroy, JP, Gilbert, MR, Mehta, M, Klimowicz, AC, Magliocco, A, Bredel, M, Robe, P, Grosu, AL et al.. Molecular-Based Recursive Partitioning Analysis Model for Glioblastoma in the Temozolomide Era: A Correlative Analysis Based on NRG Oncology RTOG 0525. JAMA Oncol 2017; : . PubMed PMID:28097324 .
- Zhang, AS, Ostrom, QT, Kruchko, C, Rogers, L, Peereboom, DM, Barnholtz-Sloan, JS. Complete prevalence of malignant primary brain tumors registry data in the United States compared with other common cancers, 2010. Neuro-oncology 2016; : . PubMed PMID:28039365 .
- Peng, S, Dhurv, H, Armstrong, B, Salhia, B, Legendre, C, Kiefer, J, Parks, J, Virk, S, Sloan, AE, Ostrom, QT et al.. Integrated genomic analysis of survival outliers in glioblastoma. Neuro-oncology 2016; : . PubMed PMID:27932423 .
- Ahluwalia, MS, Bou-Anak, S, Burgett, ME, Sarmey, N, Khosla, D, Dahiya, S, Weil, RJ, Bae, E, Huang, P, McGraw, M et al.. Correlation of higher levels of soluble TNF-R1 with a shorter survival, independent of age, in recurrent glioblastoma. J. Neurooncol. 2017; 131 (3): 449-458. PubMed PMID:27858267 PubMed Central PMC5352462.
- Qin, B, Moorman, PG, Alberg, AJ, Barnholtz-Sloan, JS, Bondy, M, Cote, ML, Funkhouser, E, Peters, ES, Schwartz, AG, Terry, P et al.. Dairy, calcium, vitamin D and ovarian cancer risk in African-American women. Br. J. Cancer 2016; 115 (9): 1122-1130. PubMed PMID:27632371 PubMed Central PMC5117784.
- Jia, L, Couce, M, Barnholtz-Sloan, JS, Cohen, ML. Is all inflammation within temporal artery biopsies temporal arteritis? Hum. Pathol. 2016; 57 : 17-21. PubMed PMID:27445262 .
- Ostrom, QT, Gittleman, H, Kruchko, C, Louis, DN, Brat, DJ, Gilbert, MR, Petkov, VI, Barnholtz-Sloan, JS. Completeness of required site-specific factors for brain and CNS tumors in the Surveillance, Epidemiology and End Results (SEER) 18 database (2004-2012, varying). J. Neurooncol. 2016; 130 (1): 31-42. PubMed PMID:27418206 PubMed Central PMC5071143.