AARON GOLDENBERG, PHD, MA, MPH
Aaron Goldenberg, PhD, MA, MPH, is Associate Professor in the Department of Bioethics at Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine. He is also the Director of Research for the Department and the Associate Director of the Center for Genetic Research Ethics and Law, a NIH Center of Excellence in Ethical, Legal, and Social Implications Research for the National Human Genome Research Institute. He earned his PhD in Bioethics at Case Western Reserve University. Since joining the faculty at Case Western Reserve University, Dr. Goldenberg’s work has focused on the ethical, legal, and social implications of genetics and genomics in clinical and public health settings. His research program has been grounded by a number of major project areas, including: 1) ethical implications of expanding newborn screening programs; 2) storage and use of perinatal and pediatric biological specimens for future research; 3) implications of genetics and gene-environment interactions for racial/ethnic minorities and other communities experiencing health disparities. Dr. Goldenberg is currently the Co-PI of a project funded by the Health Resources and Services Administration (HRSA) to explore the ethical and programmatic challenges of integrating genomic technology into Newborn Screening Programs. He is also the Principal Investigator on a project funded by the NIH National Human Genome Research Institute to examine parental attitudes regarding the research use of biospecimens collected from newborns. He is also leading a project to assess how genomic advances may impact medically-underserved communities, and how clinicians and public health agencies could better assess biological and social determinants to account for gene-environment interactions. In addition to these scholarly initiatives, Dr. Goldenberg Director for Ethics, Policy and Practice for the National Newborn Screening Clearinghouse, also known as Baby’s First Test. He is a member of the Ethics and Legal Workgroup for the Newborn Screening Translational Research Network and the Legal and Legislative Workgroup for the American Public Health Laboratory Association. He is a member of the Pediatric Task Team for the Global Alliance for Genomics and Health.
- Halley, MC, Smith, HS, Ashley, EA, Goldenberg, AJ, Tabor, HK. A call for an integrated approach to improve efficiency, equity and sustainability in rare disease research in the United States. Nat Genet 2022; 54 (3): 219-222. PubMed PMID:35256804 PubMed Central PMC9016354.
- Goldenberg, AJ, Ponsaran, R, Gaviglio, A, Simancek, D, Tarini, BA. Genomics and Newborn Screening: Perspectives of Public Health Programs. Int J Neonatal Screen 2022; 8 (1): . PubMed PMID:35225933 PubMed Central PMC8883997.
- Brothers, KB, Goldenberg, AJ, Cadigan, RJ. "If It's Ethical During a Pandemic…": Lessons from COVID-19 for Post-Pandemic Biobanking. Am J Bioeth 2021; 21 (12): 34-36. PubMed PMID:34806961 .
- Miller, BC, Goldenberg, AJ, Bonhomme, NF. Digital peer-to-peer information seeking and sharing: Opportunities for education and collaboration in newborn screening. Am J Med Genet C Semin Med Genet 2021; 187 (1): 64-69. PubMed PMID:33502079 .
- Halley, MC, Stanley, T, Maturi, J, Goldenberg, AJ, Bernstein, JA, Wheeler, MT, Tabor, HK. "It seems like COVID-19 now is the only disease present on Earth": living with a rare or undiagnosed disease during the COVID-19 pandemic. Genet Med 2021; 23 (5): 837-844. PubMed PMID:33420343 PubMed Central PMC7792915.
- Lynch, JA, Goldenberg, AJ, Garrison, NA, Brothers, KB. Analogies in Genomics Policymaking: Debates and Drawbacks. Am J Hum Genet 2020; 107 (5): 797-801. PubMed PMID:33157006 PubMed Central PMC7674995.
- Riches, NO, Johnson, EP, Frost, CJ, Goldenberg, AJ, Rothwell, E. The limited use of US residual newborn screening dried bloodspots for health disparity research. Genet Med 2020; 22 (10): 1723-1726. PubMed PMID:32533133 PubMed Central PMC7529877.
- Brothers, KB, Clayton, EW, Goldenberg, AJ. Online Pediatric Research: Addressing Consent, Assent, and Parental Permission. J Law Med Ethics 2020; 48 (1_suppl): 129-137. PubMed PMID:32342755 .
- Goldenberg, AJ. Considering Equity in Assessing Familial Benefit From the Return of Genomic Research Results. Pediatrics 2019; 144 (6): . PubMed PMID:31719122 .
- Evans, A, LeBlanc, K, Bonhomme, N, Shone, SM, Gaviglio, A, Freedenberg, D, Penn, J, Johnson, C, Vogel, B, Dolan, SM et al.. A Newborn Screening Education Best Practices Framework: Development and Adoption. Int J Neonatal Screen 2019; 5 (2): 22. PubMed PMID:33072981 PubMed Central PMC7510220.