JILL BARNHOLTZ-SLOAN, PH.D.
Professor and Associate Director for Translational Informatics
Dr. Barnholtz-Sloan is multi-disciplinary researcher trained in biostatistics, population genetics and human genetics. Her role in team science has been essential for multiple, successful multi-disciplinary research projects. She is the PI of the Ohio Brain Tumor Study (OBTS), which has served as a multi-site tissue source site for The Cancer Genome Atlas (TCGA), and she is the scientific PI of the Central Brain Tumor Registry for the United States (CBTRUS). She has extensive experience with multi-site, brain tumor, patient recruitment and bio specimen collection, storage, and clinical annotation.
She is the Associate Director for Translational Informatics for the Cleveland Institute of Computational Biology and Associate Director for Bioinformatics at the Case Comprehensive Cancer Center, both administratively housed at Case Western Reserve University (CWRU) School of Medicine, where she is responsible for managing bioinformatics analysis of high throughput "omics" data and implementing and maintaining a translational informatics solution for research.
In addition, she is the Director for Research Health Analytics and Informatics at University Hospitals Health System (UHHS), a teaching affiliate of CWRU School of Medicine. There she helps facilitate access to and analysis of UHHS data for population health. She also serves as Director of the Cleveland Center for Health Outcomes Research (CCHOR) with a primary objective of optimizing "big data" for clinical outcomes modeling, including individualized patient predictions that would drive operational and clinical decision making.
All of this work draws on her extensive experience in hypothesis development, study design and statistical analysis for studies of various phenotypes in humans and animals and analysis of all types of high throughput "omics" data and clinical outcomes.
Molecular Profiling Reveals Biologically Discrete Subsets and Pathways of Progression in Diffuse Glioma.
Ceccarelli M, Barthel FP, Malta TM, Sabedot TS, Salama SR, Murray BA, Morozova O, Newton Y, Radenbaugh A, Pagnotta SM, Anjum S, Wang J, Manyam G, Zoppoli P, Ling S, Rao AA, Grifford M, Cherniack AD, Zhang H, Poisson L, Carlotti CG, Tirapelli DP, Rao A, Mikkelsen T, Lau CC, Yung WK, Rabadan R, Huse […]
American Brain Tumor Association Adolescent and Young Adult Primary Brain and Central Nervous System Tumors Diagnosed in the United States in 2008-2012.
Ostrom QT, Gittleman H, de Blank PM, Finlay JL, Gurney JG, McKean-Cowdin R, Stearns DS, Wolff JE, Liu M, Wolinsky Y, Kruchko C, Barnholtz-Sloan JS,.
, Brat DJ, Verhaak RG, Aldape KD, Yung WK, Salama SR, Cooper LA, Rheinbay E, Miller CR, Vitucci M, Morozova O, Robertson AG, Noushmehr H, Laird PW, Cherniack AD, Akbani R, Huse JT, Ciriello G, Poisson LM, Barnholtz-Sloan JS, Berger MS, Brennan C, Colen RR, Colman H, Flanders AE, Giannini C, Grifford M, Iavarone A, […]
Alex’s Lemonade Stand Foundation Infant and Childhood Primary Brain and Central Nervous System Tumors Diagnosed in the United States in 2007-2011.
Ostrom QT, de Blank PM, Kruchko C, Petersen CM, Liao P, Finlay JL, Stearns DS, Wolff JE, Wolinsky Y, Letterio JJ, Barnholtz-Sloan JS,. The CBTRUS Statistical Report: Alex’s Lemonade Stand Foundation Infant and Childhood Primary Brain and Central Nervous System Tumors Diagnosed in the United States in 2007–2011 comprehensively describes the current population-based incidence of […]
Brennan CW, Verhaak RG, McKenna A, Campos B, Noushmehr H, Salama SR, Zheng S, Chakravarty D, Sanborn JZ, Berman SH, Beroukhim R, Bernard B, Wu CJ, Genovese G, Shmulevich I, Barnholtz-Sloan J, Zou L, Vegesna R, Shukla SA, Ciriello G, Yung WK, Zhang W, Sougnez C, Mikkelsen T, Aldape K, Bigner DD, Van Meir EG, […]
- Thiruvengadam, SS, OʼMalley, M, LaGuardia, L, Lopez, R, Wang, Z, Shadrach, BL, Chen, Y, Li, C, Veigl, ML, Barnholtz-Sloan, JS et al.. Gene Expression Changes Accompanying the Duodenal Adenoma-Carcinoma Sequence in Familial Adenomatous Polyposis. Clin Transl Gastroenterol 2019; 10 (6): e00053. PubMed PMID:31211760 .
- Truitt, G, Gittleman, H, Leece, R, Ostrom, QT, Kruchko, C, Armstrong, TS, Gilbert, MR, Barnholtz-Sloan, JS. Partnership for defining the impact of 12 selected rare CNS tumors: a report from the CBTRUS and the NCI-CONNECT. J. Neurooncol. 2019; : . PubMed PMID:31209773 .
- Cote, DJ, Ostrom, QT, Gittleman, H, Duncan, KR, CreveCoeur, TS, Kruchko, C, Smith, TR, Stampfer, MJ, Barnholtz-Sloan, JS. Glioma incidence and survival variations by county-level socioeconomic measures. Cancer 2019; : . PubMed PMID:31206646 .
- Wright, JM, Wright, CH, Cioffi, G, Raghavan, A, Hdeib, A, Kasliwal, MK, Kruchko, C, Barnholtz-Sloan, JS, Sloan, AE. Survival in Patients with High-Grade Spinal Meningioma: An Analysis of the National Cancer Database. World Neurosurg 2019; : . PubMed PMID:31203074 .
- Peres, LC, Hebert, JR, Qin, B, Guertin, KA, Bandera, EV, Shivappa, N, Camacho, TF, Chyn, D, Alberg, AJ, Barnholtz-Sloan, JS et al.. Prediagnostic Proinflammatory Dietary Potential Is Associated with All-Cause Mortality among African-American Women with High-Grade Serous Ovarian Carcinoma. J. Nutr. 2019; : . PubMed PMID:31152675 .
- Takahashi, H, Cornish, AJ, Sud, A, Law, PJ, Kinnersley, B, Ostrom, QT, Labreche, K, Eckel-Passow, JE, Armstrong, GN, Claus, EB et al.. Publisher Correction: Mendelian randomisation study of the relationship between vitamin D and risk of glioma. Sci Rep 2019; 9 (1): 7924. PubMed PMID:31118477 PubMed Central PMC6531429.
- Johansen, ML, Vincent, J, Gittleman, H, Craig, SEL, Couce, M, Sloan, AE, Barnholtz-Sloan, JS, Brady-Kalnay, SM. A PTPmu Biomarker is Associated with Increased Survival in Gliomas. Int J Mol Sci 2019; 20 (10): . PubMed PMID:31091655 PubMed Central PMC6566278.
- Yin, AA, He, YL, Etcheverry, A, Liu, YH, Aubry, M, Barnholtz-Sloan, J, Liu, BL, Mosser, J, Lu, ZF, Zhang, X et al.. Novel predictive epigenetic signature for temozolomide in non-G-CIMP glioblastomas. Clin Epigenetics 2019; 11 (1): 76. PubMed PMID:31088577 PubMed Central PMC6515684.
- Ascha, MS, Ostrom, QT, Wright, J, Kumthekar, P, Bordeaux, JS, Sloan, AE, Schumacher, FR, Kruchko, C, Barnholtz-Sloan, JS. Lifetime Occurrence of Brain Metastases Arising from Lung, Breast, and Skin Cancers in the Elderly: A SEER-Medicare Study. Cancer Epidemiol. Biomarkers Prev. 2019; 28 (5): 917-925. PubMed PMID:31053636 PubMed Central PMC6506177.
- Gittleman, H, Cioffi, G, Vecchione-Koval, T, Ostrom, QT, Kruchko, C, Osorio, DS, Finlay, JL, Barnholtz-Sloan, JS. Descriptive epidemiology of germ cell tumors of the central nervous system diagnosed in the United States from 2006 to 2015. J. Neurooncol. 2019; 143 (2): 251-260. PubMed PMID:31025275 .