JILL BARNHOLTZ-SLOAN, PH.D.
Associate Director for Clinical Informatics
Dr. Jill Barnholtz-Sloan, Ph.D., is the Sally S. Morley Designated Professor in Brain Tumor Research in the Case Comprehensive Cancer Center. Her research focuses on genetic/molecular epidemiology of complex diseases, with a particular focus on cancer. She is multi-disciplinary trained in biostatistics, population genetics, and human genetics, and has rich experience in multi-center cancer studies. The main thrust of her research is two-fold: (1) as an integral biostatistical/epidemiological co-investigator on multiple externally funded studies (i.e. “team science”) and (2) as an independent brain tumor researcher and collaborator. She is the Associate Director for Bioinformatics for the Case Comprehensive Cancer Center and the Associate Director for Clinical Informatics for the Institute for Computational Biology.
In her role as a team scientist, Dr. Barnholtz-Sloan is sought for her biostatistical/bioinformatics expertise and collaborate on studies as the expert in these disciplines. She assists investigators with robust study design, data analysis and interpretation of results. At the core of her independent research efforts is her work on utilizing genomic information on brain tumors to better sub-classify these tumors and associate this information with clinical outcomes. Because brain tumors are a rare cancer (representing only 1-2% of all adult cancers), multi-center projects are necessary in order to have the samples size needed for appropriate statistical power. Since coming to CWRU, she has successfully established a multi-center biorepository network within Ohio, the Ohio Brain Tumor Study (OBTS), which has served as a multi-site tissue source site for The Cancer Genome Atlas and currently serves as a multi-site therapeutic clinical trial network for the Governor’s Ohio Clinical Trials Collaborative.
Molecular Profiling Reveals Biologically Discrete Subsets and Pathways of Progression in Diffuse Glioma.
Ceccarelli M, Barthel FP, Malta TM, Sabedot TS, Salama SR, Murray BA, Morozova O, Newton Y, Radenbaugh A, Pagnotta SM, Anjum S, Wang J, Manyam G, Zoppoli P, Ling S, Rao AA, Grifford M, Cherniack AD, Zhang H, Poisson L, Carlotti CG, Tirapelli DP, Rao A, Mikkelsen T, Lau CC, Yung WK, Rabadan R, Huse […]
American Brain Tumor Association Adolescent and Young Adult Primary Brain and Central Nervous System Tumors Diagnosed in the United States in 2008-2012.
Ostrom QT, Gittleman H, de Blank PM, Finlay JL, Gurney JG, McKean-Cowdin R, Stearns DS, Wolff JE, Liu M, Wolinsky Y, Kruchko C, Barnholtz-Sloan JS,.
, Brat DJ, Verhaak RG, Aldape KD, Yung WK, Salama SR, Cooper LA, Rheinbay E, Miller CR, Vitucci M, Morozova O, Robertson AG, Noushmehr H, Laird PW, Cherniack AD, Akbani R, Huse JT, Ciriello G, Poisson LM, Barnholtz-Sloan JS, Berger MS, Brennan C, Colen RR, Colman H, Flanders AE, Giannini C, Grifford M, Iavarone A, […]
Alex’s Lemonade Stand Foundation Infant and Childhood Primary Brain and Central Nervous System Tumors Diagnosed in the United States in 2007-2011.
Ostrom QT, de Blank PM, Kruchko C, Petersen CM, Liao P, Finlay JL, Stearns DS, Wolff JE, Wolinsky Y, Letterio JJ, Barnholtz-Sloan JS,. The CBTRUS Statistical Report: Alex’s Lemonade Stand Foundation Infant and Childhood Primary Brain and Central Nervous System Tumors Diagnosed in the United States in 2007–2011 comprehensively describes the current population-based incidence of […]
Brennan CW, Verhaak RG, McKenna A, Campos B, Noushmehr H, Salama SR, Zheng S, Chakravarty D, Sanborn JZ, Berman SH, Beroukhim R, Bernard B, Wu CJ, Genovese G, Shmulevich I, Barnholtz-Sloan J, Zou L, Vegesna R, Shukla SA, Ciriello G, Yung WK, Zhang W, Sougnez C, Mikkelsen T, Aldape K, Bigner DD, Van Meir EG, […]
- Peres, LC, Risch, H, Terry, KL, Webb, PM, Goodman, MT, Wu, AH, Alberg, AJ, Bandera, EV, Barnholtz-Sloan, J, Bondy, ML et al.. Racial/ethnic differences in the epidemiology of ovarian cancer: a pooled analysis of 12 case-control studies. Int J Epidemiol 2017; : . PubMed PMID:29211900 .
- Abbott, SE, Camacho, F, Peres, LC, Alberg, AJ, Bandera, EV, Bondy, M, Cote, ML, Funkhouser, E, Moorman, PG, Peters, ES et al.. Recreational physical activity and survival in African-American women with ovarian cancer. Cancer Causes Control 2017; : . PubMed PMID:29188593 .
- Yin, A, Etcheverry, A, He, Y, Aubry, M, Barnholtz-Sloan, J, Zhang, L, Mao, X, Chen, W, Liu, B, Zhang, W et al.. Integrative analysis of novel hypomethylation and gene expression signatures in glioblastomas. Oncotarget 2017; 8 (52): 89607-89619. PubMed PMID:29163774 PubMed Central PMC5685695.
- Kooistra, L, Chiang, K, Dawes, S, Gittleman, H, Barnholtz-Sloan, J, Bordeaux, J. Racial disparities and insurance status: an epidemiologic analysis of Ohio melanoma patients. J. Am. Acad. Dermatol. 2017; : . PubMed PMID:29138060 .
- Ostrom, QT, Gittleman, H, Liao, P, Vecchione-Koval, T, Wolinsky, Y, Kruchko, C, Barnholtz-Sloan, JS. CBTRUS Statistical Report: Primary brain and other central nervous system tumors diagnosed in the United States in 2010-2014. Neuro-oncology 2017; 19 (suppl_5): v1-v88. PubMed PMID:29117289 .
- Mendez, JS, Ostrom, QT, Gittleman, H, Kruchko, C, DeAngelis, LM, Barnholtz-Sloan, JS, Grommes, C. The Elderly Left Behind - Changes in Survival Trends of Primary Central Nervous System Lymphoma Over The Past Four Decades. Neuro-oncology 2017; : . PubMed PMID:29036697 .
- Jin, X, Kim, LJY, Wu, Q, Wallace, LC, Prager, BC, Sanvoranart, T, Gimple, RC, Wang, X, Mack, SC, Miller, TE et al.. Targeting glioma stem cells through combined BMI1 and EZH2 inhibition. Nat. Med. 2017; 23 (11): 1352-1361. PubMed PMID:29035367 PubMed Central PMC5679732.
- Cummings, LC, Thota, PN, Willis, JE, Chen, Y, Cooper, GS, Furey, N, Bednarchik, B, Alashkar, BM, Dumot, J, Faulx, AL et al.. A nonrandomized trial of vitamin D supplementation for Barrett's esophagus. PLoS ONE 2017; 12 (9): e0184928. PubMed PMID:28922414 PubMed Central PMC5602627.
- Seth, D, Gittleman, H, Barnholtz-Sloan, J, Bordeaux, JS. Association of Socioeconomic and Geographic Factors With Google Trends for Tanning and Sunscreen. Dermatol Surg 2017; : . PubMed PMID:28902024 .
- McNamara, C, Abbott, SE, Bandera, EV, Qin, B, Peres, LC, Camacho, F, Moorman, PG, Alberg, AJ, Barnholtz-Sloan, JS, Bondy, M et al.. Tubal ligation and ovarian cancer risk in African American women. Cancer Causes Control 2017; 28 (10): 1033-1041. PubMed PMID:28871344 .