JILL BARNHOLTZ-SLOAN, PH.D.
Associate Director for Clinical Informatics
Dr. Jill Barnholtz-Sloan, Ph.D., is the Sally S. Morley Designated Professor in Brain Tumor Research in the Case Comprehensive Cancer Center. Her research focuses on genetic/molecular epidemiology of complex diseases, with a particular focus on cancer. She is multi-disciplinary trained in biostatistics, population genetics, and human genetics, and has rich experience in multi-center cancer studies. The main thrust of her research is two-fold: (1) as an integral biostatistical/epidemiological co-investigator on multiple externally funded studies (i.e. “team science”) and (2) as an independent brain tumor researcher and collaborator. She is the Associate Director for Bioinformatics for the Case Comprehensive Cancer Center and the Associate Director for Clinical Informatics for the Institute for Computational Biology.
In her role as a team scientist, Dr. Barnholtz-Sloan is sought for her biostatistical/bioinformatics expertise and collaborate on studies as the expert in these disciplines. She assists investigators with robust study design, data analysis and interpretation of results. At the core of her independent research efforts is her work on utilizing genomic information on brain tumors to better sub-classify these tumors and associate this information with clinical outcomes. Because brain tumors are a rare cancer (representing only 1-2% of all adult cancers), multi-center projects are necessary in order to have the samples size needed for appropriate statistical power. Since coming to CWRU, she has successfully established a multi-center biorepository network within Ohio, the Ohio Brain Tumor Study (OBTS), which has served as a multi-site tissue source site for The Cancer Genome Atlas and currently serves as a multi-site therapeutic clinical trial network for the Governor’s Ohio Clinical Trials Collaborative.
Molecular Profiling Reveals Biologically Discrete Subsets and Pathways of Progression in Diffuse Glioma.
Ceccarelli M, Barthel FP, Malta TM, Sabedot TS, Salama SR, Murray BA, Morozova O, Newton Y, Radenbaugh A, Pagnotta SM, Anjum S, Wang J, Manyam G, Zoppoli P, Ling S, Rao AA, Grifford M, Cherniack AD, Zhang H, Poisson L, Carlotti CG, Tirapelli DP, Rao A, Mikkelsen T, Lau CC, Yung WK, Rabadan R, Huse […]
American Brain Tumor Association Adolescent and Young Adult Primary Brain and Central Nervous System Tumors Diagnosed in the United States in 2008-2012.
Ostrom QT, Gittleman H, de Blank PM, Finlay JL, Gurney JG, McKean-Cowdin R, Stearns DS, Wolff JE, Liu M, Wolinsky Y, Kruchko C, Barnholtz-Sloan JS,.
, Brat DJ, Verhaak RG, Aldape KD, Yung WK, Salama SR, Cooper LA, Rheinbay E, Miller CR, Vitucci M, Morozova O, Robertson AG, Noushmehr H, Laird PW, Cherniack AD, Akbani R, Huse JT, Ciriello G, Poisson LM, Barnholtz-Sloan JS, Berger MS, Brennan C, Colen RR, Colman H, Flanders AE, Giannini C, Grifford M, Iavarone A, […]
Alex’s Lemonade Stand Foundation Infant and Childhood Primary Brain and Central Nervous System Tumors Diagnosed in the United States in 2007-2011.
Ostrom QT, de Blank PM, Kruchko C, Petersen CM, Liao P, Finlay JL, Stearns DS, Wolff JE, Wolinsky Y, Letterio JJ, Barnholtz-Sloan JS,. The CBTRUS Statistical Report: Alex’s Lemonade Stand Foundation Infant and Childhood Primary Brain and Central Nervous System Tumors Diagnosed in the United States in 2007–2011 comprehensively describes the current population-based incidence of […]
Brennan CW, Verhaak RG, McKenna A, Campos B, Noushmehr H, Salama SR, Zheng S, Chakravarty D, Sanborn JZ, Berman SH, Beroukhim R, Bernard B, Wu CJ, Genovese G, Shmulevich I, Barnholtz-Sloan J, Zou L, Vegesna R, Shukla SA, Ciriello G, Yung WK, Zhang W, Sougnez C, Mikkelsen T, Aldape K, Bigner DD, Van Meir EG, […]
- de Souza, CF, Sabedot, TS, Malta, TM, Stetson, L, Morozova, O, Sokolov, A, Laird, PW, Wiznerowicz, M, Iavarone, A, Snyder, J et al.. A Distinct DNA Methylation Shift in a Subset of Glioma CpG Island Methylator Phenotypes during Tumor Recurrence. Cell Rep 2018; 23 (2): 637-651. PubMed PMID:29642018 .
- Peres, LC, Risch, H, Terry, KL, M Webb, P, Goodman, MT, Wu, AH, Alberg, AJ, Bandera, EV, Barnholtz-Sloan, J, Bondy, ML et al.. Racial/ethnic differences in the epidemiology of ovarian cancer: a pooled analysis of 12 case-control studies. Int J Epidemiol 2018; : . PubMed PMID:29584862 .
- Disney-Hogg, L, Cornish, AJ, Sud, A, Law, PJ, Kinnersley, B, Jacobs, DI, Ostrom, QT, Labreche, K, Eckel-Passow, JE, Armstrong, GN et al.. Impact of atopy on risk of glioma: a Mendelian randomisation study. BMC Med 2018; 16 (1): 42. PubMed PMID:29540232 PubMed Central PMC5853158.
- Disney-Hogg, L, Sud, A, Law, PJ, Cornish, AJ, Kinnersley, B, Ostrom, QT, Labreche, K, Eckel-Passow, JE, Armstrong, GN, Claus, EB et al.. Influence of obesity-related risk factors in the aetiology of glioma. Br. J. Cancer 2018; 118 (7): 1020-1027. PubMed PMID:29531326 .
- Mobadersany, P, Yousefi, S, Amgad, M, Gutman, DA, Barnholtz-Sloan, JS, Velázquez Vega, JE, Brat, DJ, Cooper, LAD. Predicting cancer outcomes from histology and genomics using convolutional networks. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U.S.A. 2018; 115 (13): E2970-E2979. PubMed PMID:29531073 PubMed Central PMC5879673.
- Mills, AM, Peres, LC, Meiss, A, Ring, KL, Modesitt, SC, Abbott, SE, Alberg, AJ, Bandera, EV, Barnholtz-Sloan, J, Bondy, ML et al.. Targetable Immune Regulatory Molecule Expression in High-Grade Serous Ovarian Carcinomas in African American Women: A Study of PD-L1 and IDO in 112 Cases From the African American Cancer Epidemiology Study (AACES). Int. J. Gynecol. Pathol. 2018; : . PubMed PMID:29485423 .
- Ostrom, QT, Rubin, JB, Lathia, JD, Berens, ME, Barnholtz-Sloan, JS. Females have the survival advantage in glioblastoma. Neuro-oncology 2018; 20 (4): 576-577. PubMed PMID:29474647 .
- Kruchko, C, Ostrom, QT, Gittleman, H, Barnholtz-Sloan, JS. The CBTRUS story: providing accurate population-based statistics on brain and other central nervous system tumors for everyone. Neuro-oncology 2018; 20 (3): 295-298. PubMed PMID:29471448 PubMed Central PMC5817957.
- Aldape, K, Amin, SB, Ashley, DM, Barnholtz-Sloan, JS, Bates, AJ, Beroukhim, R, Bock, C, Brat, DJ, Claus, EB, Costello, JF et al.. Glioma Through the Looking GLASS: Molecular Evolution of Diffuse Gliomas and the Glioma Longitudinal AnalySiS Consortium. Neuro-oncology 2018; : . PubMed PMID:29432615 .
- Liao, P, Ostrom, QT, Stetson, L, Barnholtz-Sloan, JS. Models of Epigenetic Age Capture Patterns of DNA Methylation in Glioma Associated with Molecular Subtype, Survival, and Recurrence. Neuro-oncology 2018; : . PubMed PMID:29432558 .