JILL BARNHOLTZ-SLOAN, PH.D.
Associate Director for Clinical Informatics
Dr. Jill Barnholtz-Sloan, Ph.D., is the Sally S. Morley Designated Professor in Brain Tumor Research in the Case Comprehensive Cancer Center. Her research focuses on genetic/molecular epidemiology of complex diseases, with a particular focus on cancer. She is multi-disciplinary trained in biostatistics, population genetics, and human genetics, and has rich experience in multi-center cancer studies. The main thrust of her research is two-fold: (1) as an integral biostatistical/epidemiological co-investigator on multiple externally funded studies (i.e. “team science”) and (2) as an independent brain tumor researcher and collaborator. She is the Associate Director for Bioinformatics for the Case Comprehensive Cancer Center and the Associate Director for Clinical Informatics for the Institute for Computational Biology.
In her role as a team scientist, Dr. Barnholtz-Sloan is sought for her biostatistical/bioinformatics expertise and collaborate on studies as the expert in these disciplines. She assists investigators with robust study design, data analysis and interpretation of results. At the core of her independent research efforts is her work on utilizing genomic information on brain tumors to better sub-classify these tumors and associate this information with clinical outcomes. Because brain tumors are a rare cancer (representing only 1-2% of all adult cancers), multi-center projects are necessary in order to have the samples size needed for appropriate statistical power. Since coming to CWRU, she has successfully established a multi-center biorepository network within Ohio, the Ohio Brain Tumor Study (OBTS), which has served as a multi-site tissue source site for The Cancer Genome Atlas and currently serves as a multi-site therapeutic clinical trial network for the Governor’s Ohio Clinical Trials Collaborative.
Molecular Profiling Reveals Biologically Discrete Subsets and Pathways of Progression in Diffuse Glioma.
Ceccarelli M, Barthel FP, Malta TM, Sabedot TS, Salama SR, Murray BA, Morozova O, Newton Y, Radenbaugh A, Pagnotta SM, Anjum S, Wang J, Manyam G, Zoppoli P, Ling S, Rao AA, Grifford M, Cherniack AD, Zhang H, Poisson L, Carlotti CG, Tirapelli DP, Rao A, Mikkelsen T, Lau CC, Yung WK, Rabadan R, Huse […]
American Brain Tumor Association Adolescent and Young Adult Primary Brain and Central Nervous System Tumors Diagnosed in the United States in 2008-2012.
Ostrom QT, Gittleman H, de Blank PM, Finlay JL, Gurney JG, McKean-Cowdin R, Stearns DS, Wolff JE, Liu M, Wolinsky Y, Kruchko C, Barnholtz-Sloan JS,.
, Brat DJ, Verhaak RG, Aldape KD, Yung WK, Salama SR, Cooper LA, Rheinbay E, Miller CR, Vitucci M, Morozova O, Robertson AG, Noushmehr H, Laird PW, Cherniack AD, Akbani R, Huse JT, Ciriello G, Poisson LM, Barnholtz-Sloan JS, Berger MS, Brennan C, Colen RR, Colman H, Flanders AE, Giannini C, Grifford M, Iavarone A, […]
Alex’s Lemonade Stand Foundation Infant and Childhood Primary Brain and Central Nervous System Tumors Diagnosed in the United States in 2007-2011.
Ostrom QT, de Blank PM, Kruchko C, Petersen CM, Liao P, Finlay JL, Stearns DS, Wolff JE, Wolinsky Y, Letterio JJ, Barnholtz-Sloan JS,. The CBTRUS Statistical Report: Alex’s Lemonade Stand Foundation Infant and Childhood Primary Brain and Central Nervous System Tumors Diagnosed in the United States in 2007–2011 comprehensively describes the current population-based incidence of […]
Brennan CW, Verhaak RG, McKenna A, Campos B, Noushmehr H, Salama SR, Zheng S, Chakravarty D, Sanborn JZ, Berman SH, Beroukhim R, Bernard B, Wu CJ, Genovese G, Shmulevich I, Barnholtz-Sloan J, Zou L, Vegesna R, Shukla SA, Ciriello G, Yung WK, Zhang W, Sougnez C, Mikkelsen T, Aldape K, Bigner DD, Van Meir EG, […]
- Hashemi-Sadraei, N, Müller-Greven, GM, Abdul-Karim, FW, Ulasov, I, Downs-Kelly, E, Burgett, ME, Lauko, A, Qadan, MA, Weil, RJ, Ahluwalia, MS et al.. Expression of LC3B and FIP200/Atg17 in brain metastases of breast cancer. J. Neurooncol. 2018; : . PubMed PMID:30094720 .
- Barnholtz-Sloan, JS, Ostrom, QT, Cote, D. Epidemiology of Brain Tumors. Neurol Clin 2018; 36 (3): 395-419. PubMed PMID:30072062 .
- Makkar, N, Ostrom, QT, Kruchko, C, Barnholtz-Sloan, JS. A comparison of relative survival and cause-specific survival methods to measure net survival in cancer populations. Cancer Med 2018; : . PubMed PMID:30070069 .
- Smieszek, S, Jia, P, Samuels, DC, Zhao, Z, Barnholtz-Sloan, J, Kaur, H, Letendre, S, Ellis, R, Franklin, DR, Hulgan, T et al.. Nuclear-Mitochondrial interactions influence susceptibility to HIV-associated neurocognitive impairment. Mitochondrion 2018; : . PubMed PMID:30026132 .
- Ostrom, QT, Cote, DJ, Ascha, M, Kruchko, C, Barnholtz-Sloan, JS. Adult Glioma Incidence and Survival by Race or Ethnicity in the United States From 2000 to 2014. JAMA Oncol 2018; : e181789. PubMed PMID:29931168 .
- Gittleman, H, Boscia, A, Ostrom, QT, Truitt, G, Fritz, Y, Kruchko, C, Barnholtz-Sloan, JS. Survivorship in Adults with Malignant Brain and other Central Nervous System Tumor from 2000-2014. Neuro-oncology 2018; : . PubMed PMID:29850889 .
- Puchalski, RB, Shah, N, Miller, J, Dalley, R, Nomura, SR, Yoon, JG, Smith, KA, Lankerovich, M, Bertagnolli, D, Bickley, K et al.. An anatomic transcriptional atlas of human glioblastoma. Science 2018; 360 (6389): 660-663. PubMed PMID:29748285 .
- Ostrom, QT, Kinnersley, B, Wrensch, MR, Eckel-Passow, JE, Armstrong, G, Rice, T, Chen, Y, Wiencke, JK, McCoy, LS, Hansen, HM et al.. Sex-specific glioma genome-wide association study identifies new risk locus at 3p21.31 in females, and finds sex-differences in risk at 8q24.21. Sci Rep 2018; 8 (1): 7352. PubMed PMID:29743610 PubMed Central PMC5943590.
- Ostrom, QT, Devine, K, Fulop, J, Wolinsky, Y, Liao, P, Stetson, L, Couce, M, Sloan, AE, Barnholtz-Sloan, JS. Brain tumor biobanking in the precision medicine era: building a high-quality resource for translational research in neuro-oncology. Neurooncol Pract 2017; 4 (4): 220-228. PubMed PMID:29692920 PubMed Central PMC5909804.
- Berntsson, SG, Merrell, RT, Amirian, ES, Armstrong, GN, Lachance, D, Smits, A, Zhou, R, Jacobs, DI, Wrensch, MR, Olson, SH et al.. Glioma-related seizures in relation to histopathological subtypes: a report from the glioma international case-control study. J. Neurol. 2018; 265 (6): 1432-1442. PubMed PMID:29687214 PubMed Central PMC5990563.