JILL BARNHOLTZ-SLOAN, PH.D.
Professor and Associate Director for Translational Informatics
Dr. Barnholtz-Sloan is multi-disciplinary researcher trained in biostatistics, population genetics and human genetics. Her role in team science has been essential for multiple, successful multi-disciplinary research projects. She is the PI of the Ohio Brain Tumor Study (OBTS), which has served as a multi-site tissue source site for The Cancer Genome Atlas (TCGA), and she is the scientific PI of the Central Brain Tumor Registry for the United States (CBTRUS). She has extensive experience with multi-site, brain tumor, patient recruitment and bio specimen collection, storage, and clinical annotation.
She is the Associate Director for Translational Informatics for the Cleveland Institute of Computational Biology and Associate Director for Bioinformatics at the Case Comprehensive Cancer Center, both administratively housed at Case Western Reserve University (CWRU) School of Medicine, where she is responsible for managing bioinformatics analysis of high throughput "omics" data and implementing and maintaining a translational informatics solution for research.
In addition, she is the Director for Research Health Analytics and Informatics at University Hospitals Health System (UHHS), a teaching affiliate of CWRU School of Medicine. There she helps facilitate access to and analysis of UHHS data for population health. She also serves as Director of the Cleveland Center for Health Outcomes Research (CCHOR) with a primary objective of optimizing "big data" for clinical outcomes modeling, including individualized patient predictions that would drive operational and clinical decision making.
All of this work draws on her extensive experience in hypothesis development, study design and statistical analysis for studies of various phenotypes in humans and animals and analysis of all types of high throughput "omics" data and clinical outcomes.
Molecular Profiling Reveals Biologically Discrete Subsets and Pathways of Progression in Diffuse Glioma.
Ceccarelli M, Barthel FP, Malta TM, Sabedot TS, Salama SR, Murray BA, Morozova O, Newton Y, Radenbaugh A, Pagnotta SM, Anjum S, Wang J, Manyam G, Zoppoli P, Ling S, Rao AA, Grifford M, Cherniack AD, Zhang H, Poisson L, Carlotti CG, Tirapelli DP, Rao A, Mikkelsen T, Lau CC, Yung WK, Rabadan R, Huse […]
American Brain Tumor Association Adolescent and Young Adult Primary Brain and Central Nervous System Tumors Diagnosed in the United States in 2008-2012.
Ostrom QT, Gittleman H, de Blank PM, Finlay JL, Gurney JG, McKean-Cowdin R, Stearns DS, Wolff JE, Liu M, Wolinsky Y, Kruchko C, Barnholtz-Sloan JS,.
, Brat DJ, Verhaak RG, Aldape KD, Yung WK, Salama SR, Cooper LA, Rheinbay E, Miller CR, Vitucci M, Morozova O, Robertson AG, Noushmehr H, Laird PW, Cherniack AD, Akbani R, Huse JT, Ciriello G, Poisson LM, Barnholtz-Sloan JS, Berger MS, Brennan C, Colen RR, Colman H, Flanders AE, Giannini C, Grifford M, Iavarone A, […]
Alex’s Lemonade Stand Foundation Infant and Childhood Primary Brain and Central Nervous System Tumors Diagnosed in the United States in 2007-2011.
Ostrom QT, de Blank PM, Kruchko C, Petersen CM, Liao P, Finlay JL, Stearns DS, Wolff JE, Wolinsky Y, Letterio JJ, Barnholtz-Sloan JS,. The CBTRUS Statistical Report: Alex’s Lemonade Stand Foundation Infant and Childhood Primary Brain and Central Nervous System Tumors Diagnosed in the United States in 2007–2011 comprehensively describes the current population-based incidence of […]
Brennan CW, Verhaak RG, McKenna A, Campos B, Noushmehr H, Salama SR, Zheng S, Chakravarty D, Sanborn JZ, Berman SH, Beroukhim R, Bernard B, Wu CJ, Genovese G, Shmulevich I, Barnholtz-Sloan J, Zou L, Vegesna R, Shukla SA, Ciriello G, Yung WK, Zhang W, Sougnez C, Mikkelsen T, Aldape K, Bigner DD, Van Meir EG, […]
- Barnholtz-Sloan, JS. Brain and central nervous system tumor statistics: access to accurate data for all countries is critical! Neuro-oncology 2019; : . PubMed PMID:30649531 .
- Iorgulescu, JB, Torre, M, Harary, M, Smith, TR, Aizer, AA, Reardon, DA, Barnholtz-Sloan, JS, Perry, A. The Misclassification of Diffuse Gliomas: Rates and Outcomes. Clin. Cancer Res. 2019; : . PubMed PMID:30635340 .
- Yang, W, Warrington, NM, Taylor, SJ, Whitmire, P, Carrasco, E, Singleton, KW, Wu, N, Lathia, JD, Berens, ME, Kim, AH et al.. Sex differences in GBM revealed by analysis of patient imaging, transcriptome, and survival data. Sci Transl Med 2019; 11 (473): . PubMed PMID:30602536 .
- Cui, T, Bell, EH, McElroy, J, Becker, AP, Gulati, PM, Geurts, M, Mladkova, N, Gray, A, Liu, K, Yang, L et al.. miR-4516 predicts poor prognosis and functions as a novel oncogene via targeting PTPN14 in human glioblastoma. Oncogene 2018; : . PubMed PMID:30559405 .
- Ostrom, QT, Gittleman, H, Kruchko, C, Barnholtz-Sloan, JS. Primary brain and other central nervous system tumors in Appalachia: regional differences in incidence, mortality, and survival. J. Neurooncol. 2018; : . PubMed PMID:30543034 .
- Hulgan, T, Kallianpur, AR, Guo, Y, Barnholtz-Sloan, JS, Gittleman, H, Brown, TT, Ellis, R, Letendre, S, Heaton, RK, Samuels, DC et al.. Peripheral blood mitochondrial DNA copy number obtained from genome-wide genotype data is associated with neurocognitive impairment in persons with chronic HIV infection. J. Acquir. Immune Defic. Syndr. 2018; : . PubMed PMID:30531306 .
- Amirian, ES, Ostrom, QT, Armstrong, GN, Lai, RK, Gu, X, Jacobs, DI, Jalali, A, Claus, EB, Barnholtz-Sloan, JS, Il'yasova, D et al.. Aspirin, Non-Steroidal Anti-Inflammatory Drugs (NSAIDs), and Glioma Risk: Original Data from the Glioma International Case-Control Study and a Meta-Analysis. Cancer Epidemiol. Biomarkers Prev. 2018; : . PubMed PMID:30482874 .
- Moorman, PG, Barrett, NJ, Wang, F, Alberg, JA, Bandera, EV, Barnholtz-Sloan, JB, Bondy, M, Cote, ML, Funkhouser, E, Kelemen, LE et al.. Effect of Cultural, Folk, and Religious Beliefs and Practices on Delays in Diagnosis of Ovarian Cancer in African American Women. J Womens Health (Larchmt) 2018; : . PubMed PMID:30481095 .
- Ostrom, QT, Gittleman, H, Truitt, G, Boscia, A, Kruchko, C, Barnholtz-Sloan, JS. CBTRUS Statistical Report: Primary Brain and Other Central Nervous System Tumors Diagnosed in the United States in 2011-2015. Neuro-oncology 2018; 20 (suppl_4): iv1-iv86. PubMed PMID:30445539 PubMed Central PMC6129949.
- Mester, JL, Ghosh, R, Pesaran, T, Huether, R, Karam, R, Hruska, KS, Costa, HA, Lachlan, K, Ngeow, J, Barnholtz-Sloan, J et al.. Gene-specific criteria for PTEN variant curation: Recommendations from the ClinGen PTEN Expert Panel. Hum. Mutat. 2018; 39 (11): 1581-1592. PubMed PMID:30311380 PubMed Central PMC6329583.