JILL BARNHOLTZ-SLOAN, PH.D.
Associate Director for Clinical Informatics
Dr. Jill Barnholtz-Sloan, Ph.D., is the Sally S. Morley Designated Professor in Brain Tumor Research in the Case Comprehensive Cancer Center. Her research focuses on genetic/molecular epidemiology of complex diseases, with a particular focus on cancer. She is multi-disciplinary trained in biostatistics, population genetics, and human genetics, and has rich experience in multi-center cancer studies. The main thrust of her research is two-fold: (1) as an integral biostatistical/epidemiological co-investigator on multiple externally funded studies (i.e. “team science”) and (2) as an independent brain tumor researcher and collaborator. She is the Associate Director for Bioinformatics for the Case Comprehensive Cancer Center and the Associate Director for Clinical Informatics for the Institute for Computational Biology.
In her role as a team scientist, Dr. Barnholtz-Sloan is sought for her biostatistical/bioinformatics expertise and collaborate on studies as the expert in these disciplines. She assists investigators with robust study design, data analysis and interpretation of results. At the core of her independent research efforts is her work on utilizing genomic information on brain tumors to better sub-classify these tumors and associate this information with clinical outcomes. Because brain tumors are a rare cancer (representing only 1-2% of all adult cancers), multi-center projects are necessary in order to have the samples size needed for appropriate statistical power. Since coming to CWRU, she has successfully established a multi-center biorepository network within Ohio, the Ohio Brain Tumor Study (OBTS), which has served as a multi-site tissue source site for The Cancer Genome Atlas and currently serves as a multi-site therapeutic clinical trial network for the Governor’s Ohio Clinical Trials Collaborative.
Molecular Profiling Reveals Biologically Discrete Subsets and Pathways of Progression in Diffuse Glioma.
Ceccarelli M, Barthel FP, Malta TM, Sabedot TS, Salama SR, Murray BA, Morozova O, Newton Y, Radenbaugh A, Pagnotta SM, Anjum S, Wang J, Manyam G, Zoppoli P, Ling S, Rao AA, Grifford M, Cherniack AD, Zhang H, Poisson L, Carlotti CG, Tirapelli DP, Rao A, Mikkelsen T, Lau CC, Yung WK, Rabadan R, Huse […]
American Brain Tumor Association Adolescent and Young Adult Primary Brain and Central Nervous System Tumors Diagnosed in the United States in 2008-2012.
Ostrom QT, Gittleman H, de Blank PM, Finlay JL, Gurney JG, McKean-Cowdin R, Stearns DS, Wolff JE, Liu M, Wolinsky Y, Kruchko C, Barnholtz-Sloan JS,.
, Brat DJ, Verhaak RG, Aldape KD, Yung WK, Salama SR, Cooper LA, Rheinbay E, Miller CR, Vitucci M, Morozova O, Robertson AG, Noushmehr H, Laird PW, Cherniack AD, Akbani R, Huse JT, Ciriello G, Poisson LM, Barnholtz-Sloan JS, Berger MS, Brennan C, Colen RR, Colman H, Flanders AE, Giannini C, Grifford M, Iavarone A, […]
Alex’s Lemonade Stand Foundation Infant and Childhood Primary Brain and Central Nervous System Tumors Diagnosed in the United States in 2007-2011.
Ostrom QT, de Blank PM, Kruchko C, Petersen CM, Liao P, Finlay JL, Stearns DS, Wolff JE, Wolinsky Y, Letterio JJ, Barnholtz-Sloan JS,. The CBTRUS Statistical Report: Alex’s Lemonade Stand Foundation Infant and Childhood Primary Brain and Central Nervous System Tumors Diagnosed in the United States in 2007–2011 comprehensively describes the current population-based incidence of […]
Brennan CW, Verhaak RG, McKenna A, Campos B, Noushmehr H, Salama SR, Zheng S, Chakravarty D, Sanborn JZ, Berman SH, Beroukhim R, Bernard B, Wu CJ, Genovese G, Shmulevich I, Barnholtz-Sloan J, Zou L, Vegesna R, Shukla SA, Ciriello G, Yung WK, Zhang W, Sougnez C, Mikkelsen T, Aldape K, Bigner DD, Van Meir EG, […]
- Hulgan, T, Kallianpur, AR, Guo, Y, Barnholtz-Sloan, JS, Gittleman, H, Brown, TT, Ellis, R, Letendre, S, Heaton, RK, Samuels, DC et al.. Peripheral blood mitochondrial DNA copy number obtained from genome-wide genotype data is associated with neurocognitive impairment in persons with chronic HIV infection. J. Acquir. Immune Defic. Syndr. 2018; : . PubMed PMID:30531306 .
- Amirian, ES, Ostrom, QT, Armstrong, GN, Lai, RK, Gu, X, Jacobs, DI, Jalali, A, Claus, EB, Barnholtz-Sloan, JS, Il'yasova, D et al.. Aspirin, Non-Steroidal Anti-Inflammatory Drugs (NSAIDs), and Glioma Risk: Original Data from the Glioma International Case-Control Study and a Meta-Analysis. Cancer Epidemiol. Biomarkers Prev. 2018; : . PubMed PMID:30482874 .
- Moorman, PG, Barrett, NJ, Wang, F, Alberg, JA, Bandera, EV, Barnholtz-Sloan, JB, Bondy, M, Cote, ML, Funkhouser, E, Kelemen, LE et al.. Effect of Cultural, Folk, and Religious Beliefs and Practices on Delays in Diagnosis of Ovarian Cancer in African American Women. J Womens Health (Larchmt) 2018; : . PubMed PMID:30481095 .
- Ostrom, QT, Gittleman, H, Truitt, G, Boscia, A, Kruchko, C, Barnholtz-Sloan, JS. CBTRUS Statistical Report: Primary Brain and Other Central Nervous System Tumors Diagnosed in the United States in 2011-2015. Neuro-oncology 2018; 20 (suppl_4): iv1-iv86. PubMed PMID:30445539 PubMed Central PMC6129949.
- Mester, JL, Ghosh, R, Pesaran, T, Huether, R, Karam, R, Hruska, KS, Costa, HA, Lachlan, K, Ngeow, J, Barnholtz-Sloan, J et al.. Gene-specific criteria for PTEN variant curation: Recommendations from the ClinGen PTEN Expert Panel. Hum. Mutat. 2018; 39 (11): 1581-1592. PubMed PMID:30311380 .
- Anderson, RT, Peres, LC, Camacho, F, Bandera, EV, Funkhouser, E, Moorman, PG, Paddock, LE, Peters, ES, Abbott, SE, Alberg, AJ et al.. Individual, Social, and Societal Correlates of Health-Related Quality of Life Among African American Survivors of Ovarian Cancer: Results from the African American Cancer Epidemiology Study. J Womens Health (Larchmt) 2018; : . PubMed PMID:30307782 .
- Achey, RL, Gittleman, H, Schroer, J, Khanna, V, Kruchko, C, Barnholtz-Sloan, JS. Non-malignant and malignant meningioma incidence and survival in the elderly from 2005-2015 using the Central Brain Tumor Registry of the United States. Neuro-oncology 2018; : . PubMed PMID:30295804 .
- Park, HK, Schildkraut, JM, Alberg, AJ, Bandera, EV, Barnholtz-Sloan, JS, Bondy, M, Crankshaw, S, Funkhouser, E, Moorman, PG, Peters, ES et al.. Benign gynecologic conditions are associated with ovarian cancer risk in African-American women: a case-control study. Cancer Causes Control 2018; 29 (11): 1081-1091. PubMed PMID:30269307 PubMed Central PMC6230481.
- Kallianpur, AR, Gittleman, H, Letendre, S, Ellis, R, Barnholtz-Sloan, JS, Bush, WS, Heaton, R, Samuels, DC, Franklin, DR Jr, Rosario-Cookson, D et al.. Cerebrospinal Fluid Ceruloplasmin, Haptoglobin, and Vascular Endothelial Growth Factor Are Associated with Neurocognitive Impairment in Adults with HIV Infection. Mol. Neurobiol. 2018; : . PubMed PMID:30209774 .
- Ostrom, QT, Kinnersley, B, Armstrong, G, Rice, T, Chen, Y, Wiencke, JK, McCoy, LS, Hansen, HM, Amos, CI, Bernstein, JL et al.. Age-specific genome-wide association study in glioblastoma identifies increased proportion of 'lower grade glioma'-like features associated with younger age. Int. J. Cancer 2018; 143 (10): 2359-2366. PubMed PMID:30152087 PubMed Central PMC6205887.