JILL BARNHOLTZ-SLOAN, PHD
Professor and Associate Director for Translational Informatics
Dr. Barnholtz-Sloan is multi-disciplinary researcher trained in biostatistics, population genetics, and human genetics. Her role in team science has been essential for multiple, successful multi-disciplinary research projects. She is the PI of the Ohio Brain Tumor Study (OBTS), which has served as a multi-site tissue source site for The Cancer Genome Atlas (TCGA). She is also the scientific PI of the Central Brain Tumor Registry for the United States (CBTRUS). She has extensive experience with multi-site, brain tumor, patient recruitment and bio specimen collection, storage, and clinical annotation. She has multiple roles in the Case Western (CWRU) School of Medicine and the University Hospitals Health System (UHHS), which all focus on optimizing the use of data and analytics to advance health care.
At CWRU she is the Associate Director for Data Sciences at the Case Comprehensive Cancer Center and the Associate Director for Translational Informatics for the Cleveland Institute of Computational Biology. In these roles, she advances research endeavors by advocating for and assisting researchers in obtaining access to and using large health datasets (publicly available or controlled access) to answer research questions. Dr. Barnholtz-Sloan also aids investigators in the use of secure database infrastructure needed for human subjects’ research, the implementation of robust study designs, as well as the interpretation of results. These efforts aim to reduce the burden and barriers researchers may encounter in gaining access to and analyzing “big data”, enabling them to think about and perform research that has previously not been pursued.
As the Director for Research Health Analytics and Informatics at UHHS, she facilitates access to and analysis of UHHS data. Dr. Barnholtz-Sloan’s efforts focus on aiding clinicians in utilizing “big data” to impact clinical outcomes modeling that can drive both health operations and clinical decision making.
Dr. Barnholtz-Sloan is also Director of the Cleveland Center for Health Outcomes Research (CCHOR), which was established in the summer of 2018. The goal of the CCHOR is to integrate, innovate, and optimize the use of “big data”. CCHOR facilitates access to datasets and helps support analysis to test hypotheses and drive discoveries, facilitating understanding and impact on health.
Together, all of these roles draw upon her extensive experience in hypothesis development, study design and statistical analysis for studies of various phenotypes in humans and animals, and analysis of all types of high throughput “omics” and clinical outcomes data.
Molecular Profiling Reveals Biologically Discrete Subsets and Pathways of Progression in Diffuse Glioma.
Ceccarelli M, Barthel FP, Malta TM, Sabedot TS, Salama SR, Murray BA, Morozova O, Newton Y, Radenbaugh A, Pagnotta SM, Anjum S, Wang J, Manyam G, Zoppoli P, Ling S, Rao AA, Grifford M, Cherniack AD, Zhang H, Poisson L, Carlotti CG, Tirapelli DP, Rao A, Mikkelsen T, Lau CC, Yung WK, Rabadan R, Huse […]
American Brain Tumor Association Adolescent and Young Adult Primary Brain and Central Nervous System Tumors Diagnosed in the United States in 2008-2012.
Ostrom QT, Gittleman H, de Blank PM, Finlay JL, Gurney JG, McKean-Cowdin R, Stearns DS, Wolff JE, Liu M, Wolinsky Y, Kruchko C, Barnholtz-Sloan JS,.
, Brat DJ, Verhaak RG, Aldape KD, Yung WK, Salama SR, Cooper LA, Rheinbay E, Miller CR, Vitucci M, Morozova O, Robertson AG, Noushmehr H, Laird PW, Cherniack AD, Akbani R, Huse JT, Ciriello G, Poisson LM, Barnholtz-Sloan JS, Berger MS, Brennan C, Colen RR, Colman H, Flanders AE, Giannini C, Grifford M, Iavarone A, […]
Alex’s Lemonade Stand Foundation Infant and Childhood Primary Brain and Central Nervous System Tumors Diagnosed in the United States in 2007-2011.
Ostrom QT, de Blank PM, Kruchko C, Petersen CM, Liao P, Finlay JL, Stearns DS, Wolff JE, Wolinsky Y, Letterio JJ, Barnholtz-Sloan JS,. The CBTRUS Statistical Report: Alex’s Lemonade Stand Foundation Infant and Childhood Primary Brain and Central Nervous System Tumors Diagnosed in the United States in 2007–2011 comprehensively describes the current population-based incidence of […]
Brennan CW, Verhaak RG, McKenna A, Campos B, Noushmehr H, Salama SR, Zheng S, Chakravarty D, Sanborn JZ, Berman SH, Beroukhim R, Bernard B, Wu CJ, Genovese G, Shmulevich I, Barnholtz-Sloan J, Zou L, Vegesna R, Shukla SA, Ciriello G, Yung WK, Zhang W, Sougnez C, Mikkelsen T, Aldape K, Bigner DD, Van Meir EG, […]
- Turaga, SM, Silver, DJ, Bayik, D, Paouri, E, Peng, S, Lauko, A, Alban, TJ, Borjini, N, Stanko, S, Naik, U et al.. JAM-A functions as a female microglial tumor suppressor in glioblastoma. Neuro-oncology 2020; : . PubMed PMID:32592484 .
- Ostrom, QT, Truitt, G, Gittleman, H, Brat, DJ, Kruchko, C, Wilson, R, Barnholtz-Sloan, JS. Relative survival after diagnosis with a primary brain or other central nervous system tumor in the National Program of Cancer Registries, 2004 to 2014. Neurooncol Pract 2020; 7 (3): 306-312. PubMed PMID:32537180 PubMed Central PMC7274192.
- Cioffi, G, Cote, DJ, Ostrom, QT, Kruchko, C, Barnholtz-Sloan, JS. Association between urbanicity and surgical treatment among patients with primary glioblastoma in the United States. Neurooncol Pract 2020; 7 (3): 299-305. PubMed PMID:32537179 PubMed Central PMC7274182.
- Ponnapalli, SP, Bradley, MW, Devine, K, Bowen, J, Coppens, SE, Leraas, KM, Milash, BA, Li, F, Luo, H, Qiu, S et al.. Retrospective clinical trial experimentally validates glioblastoma genome-wide pattern of DNA copy-number alterations predictor of survival. APL Bioeng 2020; 4 (2): 026106. PubMed PMID:32478280 PubMed Central PMC7229984.
- Hanauer, DA, Barnholtz-Sloan, JS, Beno, MF, Del Fiol, G, Durbin, EB, Gologorskaya, O, Harris, D, Harnett, B, Kawamoto, K, May, B et al.. Electronic Medical Record Search Engine (EMERSE): An Information Retrieval Tool for Supporting Cancer Research. JCO Clin Cancer Inform 2020; 4 : 454-463. PubMed PMID:32412846 PubMed Central PMC7265780.
- Staples, JN, Peres, LC, Camacho, F, Alberg, AJ, Bandera, EV, Barnholtz-Sloan, J, Bondy, ML, Cote, ML, Funkhouser, E, Moorman, PG et al.. Cardiometabolic comorbidities and epithelial ovarian cancer risk among African-American women in the African-American Cancer Epidemiology Study (AACES). Gynecol. Oncol. 2020; 158 (1): 123-129. PubMed PMID:32362566 .
- Dong, M, Cioffi, G, Wang, J, Waite, KA, Ostrom, QT, Kruchko, C, Lathia, JD, Rubin, JB, Berens, ME, Connor, J et al.. Sex Differences in Cancer Incidence and Survival: a Pan-Cancer Analysis. Cancer Epidemiol. Biomarkers Prev. 2020; : . PubMed PMID:32349967 .
- Das, P, Soni, P, Jones, J, Habboub, G, Barnholtz-Sloan, JS, Recinos, PF, Kshettry, VR. Descriptive epidemiology of chordomas in the United States. J. Neurooncol. 2020; 148 (1): 173-178. PubMed PMID:32342333 .
- Wen, PY, Weller, M, Lee, EQ, Alexander, BA, Barnholtz-Sloan, JS, Barthel, FP, Batchelor, TT, Bindra, RS, Chang, SM, Chiocca, EA et al.. Glioblastoma in Adults: A Society for Neuro-Oncology (SNO) and European Society of Neuro-Oncology (EANO) Consensus Review on Current Management and Future Directions. Neuro-oncology 2020; : . PubMed PMID:32328653 .
- Touat, M, Li, YY, Boynton, AN, Spurr, LF, Iorgulescu, JB, Bohrson, CL, Cortes-Ciriano, I, Birzu, C, Geduldig, JE, Pelton, K et al.. Mechanisms and therapeutic implications of hypermutation in gliomas. Nature 2020; 580 (7804): 517-523. PubMed PMID:32322066 .