WILLIAM S. BUSH, PH.D.
Associate Director for Bioinformatics Research
William S. Bush, Ph.D. is an Assistant Professor in the Department of Epidemiology and Biostatistics and the Institute for Computational Biology at Case Western Reserve University. Dr. Bush received his Ph.D. at Vanderbilt University in Human Genetics in 2008 and then continued as a post-doctoral fellow in the Neurogenomics Training Program at Vanderbilt. Dr. Bush was recently named a Mt. Sinai Health Care Foundation Scholar. As a human geneticist and bioinformatician, Dr. Bush’s research interests include understanding the functional impact of genetic variation, developing statistical and bioinformatics approaches for integrating functional genomics knowledge into genetic analysis, and the use of electronic medical records for translational research.
Bush WS, Crosslin DR, Owusu-Obeng A, Wallace J, Almoguera B, Basford MA, Bielinski SJ, Carrell DS, Connolly JJ, Crawford D, Doheny KF, Gallego CJ, Gordon AS, Keating B, Kirby J, Kitchner T, Manzi S, Mejia AR, Pan V, Perry CL, Peterson JF, Prows CA, Ralston J, Scott SA, Scrol A, Smith M, Stallings SC, Veldhuizen […]
Is Isolated Low High-Density Lipoprotein Cholesterol a Cardiovascular Disease Risk Factor? New Insights From the Framingham Offspring Study.
Bartlett J, Predazzi IM, Williams SM, Bush WS, Kim Y, Havas S, Toth PP, Fazio S, Miller M,. Although the inverse association between high-density lipoprotein cholesterol (HDL-C) and risk of cardiovascular disease (CVD) has been long established, it remains unclear whether low HDL-C remains a CVD risk factor when levels of low-density lipoprotein cholesterol (LDL-C) […]
Simonti CN, Vernot B, Bastarache L, Bottinger E, Carrell DS, Chisholm RL, Crosslin DR, Hebbring SJ, Jarvik GP, Kullo IJ, Li R, Pathak J, Ritchie MD, Roden DM, Verma SS, Tromp G, Prato JD, Bush WS, Akey JM, Denny JC, Capra JA,. Many modern human genomes retain DNA inherited from interbreeding with archaic hominins, such […]
Discovery of gene-gene interactions across multiple independent data sets of late onset Alzheimer disease from the Alzheimer Disease Genetics Consortium.
Hohman TJ, Bush WS, Jiang L, Brown-Gentry KD, Torstenson ES, Dudek SM, Mukherjee S, Naj A, Kunkle BW, Ritchie MD, Martin ER, Schellenberg GD, Mayeux R, Farrer LA, Pericak-Vance MA, Haines JL, Thornton-Wells TA, ,. Late-onset Alzheimer disease (AD) has a complex genetic etiology, involving locus heterogeneity, polygenic inheritance, and gene-gene interactions; however, the investigation […]
Association of Arrhythmia-Related Genetic Variants With Phenotypes Documented in Electronic Medical Records.
Van Driest SL, Wells QS, Stallings S, Bush WS, Gordon A, Nickerson DA, Kim JH, Crosslin DR, Jarvik GP, Carrell DS, Ralston JD, Larson EB, Bielinski SJ, Olson JE, Ye Z, Kullo IJ, Abul-Husn NS, Scott SA, Bottinger E, Almoguera B, Connolly J, Chiavacci R, Hakonarson H, Rasmussen-Torvik LJ, Pan V, Persell SD, Smith M, […]
- Crawford, DC, Bailey, JNC, Miskimen, K, Miron, P, McCauley, JL, Sedor, JR, ƠToole, JF, Bush, WS. Somatic T-cell Receptor Diversity in a Chronic Kidney Disease PatientPopulation Linked to Electronic Health Records. AMIA Jt Summits Transl Sci Proc 2018; 2017 : 63-71. PubMed PMID:29888042 PubMed Central PMC5961818.
- Jones, CC, Mercaldo, SF, Blume, JD, Wenzlaff, AS, Schwartz, AG, Chen, H, Deppen, SA, Bush, WS, Crawford, DC, Chanock, SJ et al.. Racial disparities in lung cancer survival: The contribution of stage, treatment, and ancestry. J Thorac Oncol 2018; : . PubMed PMID:29885480 .
- Naj, AC, Lin, H, Vardarajan, BN, White, S, Lancour, D, Ma, Y, Schmidt, M, Sun, F, Butkiewicz, M, Bush, WS et al.. Quality control and integration of genotypes from two calling pipelines for whole genome sequence data in the Alzheimer's disease sequencing project. Genomics 2018; : . PubMed PMID:29857119 .
- Hohman, TJ, Dumitrescu, L, Barnes, LL, Thambisetty, M, Beecham, G, Kunkle, B, Gifford, KA, Bush, WS, Chibnik, LB, Mukherjee, S et al.. Sex-Specific Association of Apolipoprotein E With Cerebrospinal Fluid Levels of Tau. JAMA Neurol 2018; : . PubMed PMID:29801024 .
- Vardarajan, BN, Barral, S, Jaworski, J, Beecham, GW, Blue, E, Tosto, G, Reyes-Dumeyer, D, Medrano, M, Lantigua, R, Naj, A et al.. Whole genome sequencing of Caribbean Hispanic families with late-onset Alzheimer's disease. Ann Clin Transl Neurol 2018; 5 (4): 406-417. PubMed PMID:29688227 PubMed Central PMC5899906.
- Hart, NJ, Aramandla, R, Poffenberger, G, Fayolle, C, Thames, AH, Bautista, A, Spigelman, AF, Babon, JAB, DeNicola, ME, Dadi, PK et al.. Cystic fibrosis-related diabetes is caused by islet loss and inflammation. JCI Insight 2018; 3 (8): . PubMed PMID:29669939 PubMed Central PMC5931120.
- Butkiewicz, M, Blue, E, Leung, F, Jian, X, Marcora, E, Renton, A, Kuzma, A, Wang, LS, Koboldt, D, Haines, JL et al.. Functional Annotation of genomic variants in studies of Late-Onset Alzheimer's Disease. Bioinformatics 2018; : . PubMed PMID:29590295 .
- Blue, EE, Bis, JC, Dorschner, MO, Tsuang, DW, Barral, SM, Beecham, G, Below, JE, Bush, WS, Butkiewicz, M, Cruchaga, C et al.. Genetic Variation in Genes Underlying Diverse Dementias May Explain a Small Proportion of Cases in the Alzheimer's Disease Sequencing Project. Dement Geriatr Cogn Disord 2018; 45 (1-2): 1-17. PubMed PMID:29486463 PubMed Central PMC5971141.
- Sivley, RM, Dou, X, Meiler, J, Bush, WS, Capra, JA. Comprehensive Analysis of Constraint on the Spatial Distribution of Missense Variants in Human Protein Structures. Am. J. Hum. Genet. 2018; 102 (3): 415-426. PubMed PMID:29455857 PubMed Central PMC5985282.
- Gong, J, Nishimura, KK, Fernandez-Rhodes, L, Haessler, J, Bien, S, Graff, M, Lim, U, Lu, Y, Gross, M, Fornage, M et al.. Trans-ethnic analysis of metabochip data identifies two new loci associated with BMI. Int J Obes (Lond) 2018; 42 (3): 384-390. PubMed PMID:29381148 PubMed Central PMC5876082.