RICKY CHAN, PHD
Director of the Computational Biology Core
E. Ricky Chan, PhD, is a Research Scientist and Director of the Computational Biology Core. His focus for the core is to provide a gateway for labs seeking assistance in the field of bioinformatics and computational analysis. This need has grown tremendously as additional research projects are leveraging the use of next-generation sequencing methods but lack the computational expertise to handle large datasets. Dr. Chan received his Ph.D. from Case Western Reserve University under the mentorship of Dr. Mark Adams, mapping ENU-induced mutations in mouse models of blood disorders, uncovering a recessive mutation in the TPO receptor that leads to thrombocytopenia with over-dominance. He continued his training as a post-doctoral fellow with Dr. David Serre at the Cleveland Clinic where his focus was on the genomic characterization of the malarial parasite Plasmodium vivax, revealing a common duplication of the Duffy binding protein in Malagasy individuals which may be involved in the uncanny observation of P. vivax infecting Duffy negative individuals in that region. During his post-doc training Dr. Chan also developed and implemented a novel method and pipeline for the characterization of microbiome data using 16s sequencing in several disease models and studies including colon cancer, metabolic uptake, and restoration of colonization resistance of nosocomial pathogens after antimicrobial treatment. From these highly collaborative experiences Dr. Chan has become an expert in the processing and analysis of next-generation sequencing data. As the director of the Computational Biology core he continues to develop and test new genomic and computational tools to assist in various research studies including but not limited to infectious disease, cancer, metabolism, and the microbiome. Please contact Dr. Chan if you have a project requiring analytical assistance with next-generation sequencing data including whole genome or exome sequencing, RNA-Seq, locus-specific sequencing, SNP and variant detection and comparative genomics.
- Zafar, A, Ng, HP, Kim, GD, Chan, ER, Mahabeleshwar, GH. BHLHE40 promotes macrophage pro-inflammatory gene expression and functions. FASEB J 2021; 35 (10): e21940. PubMed PMID:34551158 .
- Benchek, P, Igo, RP Jr, Voss-Hoynes, H, Wren, Y, Miller, G, Truitt, B, Zhang, W, Osterman, M, Freebairn, L, Tag, J et al.. Association between genes regulating neural pathways for quantitative traits of speech and language disorders. NPJ Genom Med 2021; 6 (1): 64. PubMed PMID:34315907 PubMed Central PMC8316336.
- Chan, ER, Jones, LD, Redmond, SN, Navas, ME, Kachaluba, NM, Zabarsky, TF, Bhullar, D, Cadnum, JL, Zimmerman, PA, Donskey, CJ et al.. Use of whole-genome sequencing to investigate a cluster of severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2) infections in emergency department personnel. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 2021; : 1-3. PubMed PMID:33941299 PubMed Central PMC8144813.
- Jones, LD, Chan, ER, Zabarsky, TF, Cadnum, JL, Navas, ME, Redmond, SN, Kovach, JD, Linger, M, Rutala, WA, Zimmerman, PA et al.. Transmission of SARS-CoV-2 on a Patient Transport Van. Clin Infect Dis 2021; : . PubMed PMID:33893474 PubMed Central PMC8135457.
- Kim, GD, Ng, HP, Chan, ER, Mahabeleshwar, GH. Macrophage-Hypoxia-Inducible Factor-1α Signaling in Carotid Artery Stenosis. Am J Pathol 2021; 191 (6): 1118-1134. PubMed PMID:33753024 PubMed Central PMC8176143.
- Fan, L, Sweet, DR, Prosdocimo, DA, Vinayachandran, V, Chan, ER, Zhang, R, Ilkayeva, O, Lu, Y, Keerthy, KS, Booth, CE et al.. Muscle Krüppel-like factor 15 regulates lipid flux and systemic metabolic homeostasis. J Clin Invest 2021; 131 (4): . PubMed PMID:33586679 PubMed Central PMC7880311.
- Wang, L, Yu, S, Chan, ER, Chen, KY, Liu, C, Che, D, Awadallah, A, Myers, J, Askew, D, Huang, AY et al.. Notch-Regulated Dendritic Cells Restrain Inflammation-Associated Colorectal Carcinogenesis. Cancer Immunol Res 2021; 9 (3): 348-361. PubMed PMID:33441309 PubMed Central PMC7925430.
- Yu, WY, Hill, ST, Chan, ER, Pink, JJ, Cooper, K, Leachman, S, Lund, AW, Kulkarni, R, Bordeaux, JS. Computational Drug Repositioning Identifies Statins as Modifiers of Prognostic Genetic Expression Signatures and Metastatic Behavior in Melanoma. J Invest Dermatol 2021; 141 (7): 1802-1809. PubMed PMID:33417917 PubMed Central PMC8238797.
- Verma, S, Shankar, E, Kalayci, FNC, Mukunda, A, Alassfar, M, Singh, V, Chan, ER, MacLennan, GT, Gupta, S. Androgen Deprivation Induces Transcriptional Reprogramming in Prostate Cancer Cells to Develop Stem Cell-Like Characteristics. Int J Mol Sci 2020; 21 (24): . PubMed PMID:33339129 PubMed Central PMC7765584.
- Zhang, X, Wang, R, Hu, D, Sun, X, Fujioka, H, Lundberg, K, Chan, ER, Wang, Q, Xu, R, Flanagan, ME et al.. Oligodendroglial glycolytic stress triggers inflammasome activation and neuropathology in Alzheimer's disease. Sci Adv 2020; 6 (49): . PubMed PMID:33277246 PubMed Central PMC7717916.