RICKY CHAN, PH.D.
Director of the Computational Biology Core
E. Ricky Chan, Ph.D. is a Research Scientist and Director of the Computational Biology Core. His focus for the core is to provide a gateway for labs seeking assistance in the field of bioinformatics and computational analysis. This need has grown tremendously as additional research projects are leveraging the use of next-generation sequencing methods but lack the computational expertise to handle large datasets. Dr. Chan received his Ph.D. from Case Western Reserve University under the mentorship of Dr. Mark Adams, mapping ENU-induced mutations in mouse models of blood disorders, uncovering a recessive mutation in the TPO receptor that leads to thrombocytopenia with over-dominance. He continued his training as a post-doctoral fellow with Dr. David Serre at the Cleveland Clinic where his focus was on the genomic characterization of the malarial parasite Plasmodium vivax, revealing a common duplication of the Duffy binding protein in Malagasy individuals which may be involved in the uncanny observation of P. vivax infecting Duffy negative individuals in that region. During his post-doc training Dr. Chan also developed and implemented a novel method and pipeline for the characterization of microbiome data using 16s sequencing in several disease models and studies including colon cancer, metabolic uptake, and restoration of colonization resistance of nosocomial pathogens after antimicrobial treatment. From these highly collaborative experiences Dr. Chan has become an expert in the processing and analysis of next-generation sequencing data. As the director of the Computational Biology core he continues to develop and test new genomic and computational tools to assist in various research studies including but not limited to infectious disease, cancer, metabolism, and the microbiome. Please contact Dr. Chan if you have a project requiring analytical assistance with next-generation sequencing data including whole genome or exome sequencing, RNA-Seq, locus-specific sequencing, SNP and variant detection and comparative genomics.
- Sergeeva, O, Zhang, Y, Kenyon, JD, Miller-Atkins, GA, Wu, C, Iyer, R, Sexton, S, Wojtylak, P, Awadallah, A, Xin, W et al.. PET imaging of hepatocellular carcinoma with anti-1-amino-3-[18F]fluorocyclobutanecarboxylic acid in comparison with L-[S-methyl-11C]methionine. EJNMMI Res 2019; 9 (1): 47. PubMed PMID:31119488 PubMed Central PMC6531569.
- Sarvestani, SK, Signs, SA, Lefebvre, V, Mack, S, Ni, Y, Morton, A, Chan, ER, Li, X, Fox, P, Ting, A et al.. Cancer-predicting transcriptomic and epigenetic signatures revealed for ulcerative colitis in patient-derived epithelial organoids. Oncotarget 2018; 9 (47): 28717-28730. PubMed PMID:29983891 PubMed Central PMC6033374.
- Cannon, MV, Craine, J, Hester, J, Shalkhauser, A, Chan, ER, Logue, K, Small, S, Serre, D. Dynamic microbial populations along the Cuyahoga River. PLoS ONE 2017; 12 (10): e0186290. PubMed PMID:29049324 PubMed Central PMC5648161.
- Howes, RE, Chan, ER, Rakotomanga, TA, Schulte, S, Gibson, J, Zikursh, M, Franchard, T, Ramiranirina, B, Ratsimbasoa, A, Zimmerman, PA et al.. Prevalence and genetic variants of G6PD deficiency among two Malagasy populations living in Plasmodium vivax-endemic areas. Malar. J. 2017; 16 (1): 139. PubMed PMID:28376871 PubMed Central PMC5381087.
- Sangwung, P, Zhou, G, Nayak, L, Chan, ER, Kumar, S, Kang, DW, Zhang, R, Liao, X, Lu, Y, Sugi, K et al.. KLF2 and KLF4 control endothelial identity and vascular integrity. JCI Insight 2017; 2 (4): e91700. PubMed PMID:28239661 PubMed Central PMC5313061.
- Miskimen, KL, Chan, ER, Haines, JL. Assay for Transposase-Accessible Chromatin Using Sequencing (ATAC-seq) Data Analysis. Curr Protoc Hum Genet 2017; 92 : 20.4.1-20.4.13. PubMed PMID:28075484 .
- Hoppe, G, Yoon, S, Gopalan, B, Savage, AR, Brown, R, Case, K, Vasanji, A, Chan, ER, Silver, RB, Sears, JE et al.. Comparative systems pharmacology of HIF stabilization in the prevention of retinopathy of prematurity. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U.S.A. 2016; 113 (18): E2516-25. PubMed PMID:27091985 PubMed Central PMC4983815.
- Cannon, MV, Hester, J, Shalkhauser, A, Chan, ER, Logue, K, Small, ST, Serre, D. In silico assessment of primers for eDNA studies using PrimerTree and application to characterize the biodiversity surrounding the Cuyahoga River. Sci Rep 2016; 6 : 22908. PubMed PMID:26965911 PubMed Central PMC4786790.
- Chan, ER, Barnwell, JW, Zimmerman, PA, Serre, D. Comparative analysis of field-isolate and monkey-adapted Plasmodium vivax genomes. PLoS Negl Trop Dis 2015; 9 (3): e0003566. PubMed PMID:25768941 PubMed Central PMC4358935.
- Logue, K, Small, ST, Chan, ER, Reimer, L, Siba, PM, Zimmerman, PA, Serre, D. Whole-genome sequencing reveals absence of recent gene flow and separate demographic histories for Anopheles punctulatus mosquitoes in Papua New Guinea. Mol. Ecol. 2015; 24 (6): 1263-74. PubMed PMID:25677924 PubMed Central PMC4504211.