WILLIAM S. BUSH, PHD, MS
Associate Director for Bioinformatics Research
William S. Bush, PhD, MS, is Associate Professor in the Department of Population and Quantitative Health Sciences and the Cleveland Institute for Computational Biology at Case Western Reserve University. Dr. Bush received his PhD at Vanderbilt University in Human Genetics in 2008 and then continued as a post-doctoral fellow in the Neurogenomics Training Program at Vanderbilt. Dr. Bush was recently named a Mt. Sinai Health Care Foundation Scholar. As a human geneticist and bioinformatician, Dr. Bush’s research interests include understanding the functional impact of genetic variation, developing statistical and bioinformatics approaches for integrating functional genomics knowledge into genetic analysis, and the use of electronic medical records for translational research.
eMERGE Phenome-Wide Association Study (PheWAS) identifies clinical associations and pleiotropy for stop-gain variants.
Verma A, Verma SS, Pendergrass SA, Crawford DC, Crosslin DR, Kuivaniemi H, Bush WS, Bradford Y, Kullo I, Bielinski SJ, Li R, Denny JC, Peissig P, Hebbring S, De Andrade M, Ritchie MD, Tromp G,. We explored premature stop-gain variants to test the hypothesis that variants, which are likely to have a consequence on protein […]
Bush WS, Crosslin DR, Owusu-Obeng A, Wallace J, Almoguera B, Basford MA, Bielinski SJ, Carrell DS, Connolly JJ, Crawford D, Doheny KF, Gallego CJ, Gordon AS, Keating B, Kirby J, Kitchner T, Manzi S, Mejia AR, Pan V, Perry CL, Peterson JF, Prows CA, Ralston J, Scott SA, Scrol A, Smith M, Stallings SC, Veldhuizen […]
Is Isolated Low High-Density Lipoprotein Cholesterol a Cardiovascular Disease Risk Factor? New Insights From the Framingham Offspring Study.
Bartlett J, Predazzi IM, Williams SM, Bush WS, Kim Y, Havas S, Toth PP, Fazio S, Miller M,. Although the inverse association between high-density lipoprotein cholesterol (HDL-C) and risk of cardiovascular disease (CVD) has been long established, it remains unclear whether low HDL-C remains a CVD risk factor when levels of low-density lipoprotein cholesterol (LDL-C) […]
Simonti CN, Vernot B, Bastarache L, Bottinger E, Carrell DS, Chisholm RL, Crosslin DR, Hebbring SJ, Jarvik GP, Kullo IJ, Li R, Pathak J, Ritchie MD, Roden DM, Verma SS, Tromp G, Prato JD, Bush WS, Akey JM, Denny JC, Capra JA,. Many modern human genomes retain DNA inherited from interbreeding with archaic hominins, such […]
Discovery of gene-gene interactions across multiple independent data sets of late onset Alzheimer disease from the Alzheimer Disease Genetics Consortium.
Hohman TJ, Bush WS, Jiang L, Brown-Gentry KD, Torstenson ES, Dudek SM, Mukherjee S, Naj A, Kunkle BW, Ritchie MD, Martin ER, Schellenberg GD, Mayeux R, Farrer LA, Pericak-Vance MA, Haines JL, Thornton-Wells TA, ,. Late-onset Alzheimer disease (AD) has a complex genetic etiology, involving locus heterogeneity, polygenic inheritance, and gene-gene interactions; however, the investigation […]
- McHenry, ML, Wampande, EM, Joloba, ML, Malone, LL, Mayanja-Kizza, H, Bush, WS, Boom, WH, Williams, SM, Stein, CM. Interaction between M. tuberculosis Lineage and Human Genetic Variants Reveals Novel Pathway Associations with Severity of TB. Pathogens 2021; 10 (11): . PubMed PMID:34832643 .
- Kaur, H, Crawford, DC, Liang, J, Benchek, P, COGENT BP Consortium, Zhu, X, Kallianpur, AR, Bush, WS. Replication of European hypertension associations in a case-control study of 9,534 African Americans. PLoS One 2021; 16 (11): e0259962. PubMed PMID:34793544 PubMed Central PMC8601554.
- Kaur, H, Bush, WS, Letendre, SL, Ellis, RJ, Heaton, RK, Patton, SM, Connor, JR, Samuels, DC, Franklin, DR, Hulgan, T et al.. Higher CSF Ferritin Heavy-Chain (Fth1) and Transferrin Predict Better Neurocognitive Performance in People with HIV. Mol Neurobiol 2021; 58 (10): 4842-4855. PubMed PMID:34195939 .
- Karunamuni, RA, Huynh-Le, MP, Fan, CC, Thompson, W, Lui, A, Martinez, ME, Rose, BS, Mahal, B, Eeles, RA, Kote-Jarai, Z et al.. Performance of African-ancestry-specific polygenic hazard score varies according to local ancestry in 8q24. Prostate Cancer Prostatic Dis 2021; : . PubMed PMID:34127801 .
- Patel, N, Bush, WS. Modeling transcriptional regulation using gene regulatory networks based on multi-omics data sources. BMC Bioinformatics 2021; 22 (1): 200. PubMed PMID:33874910 PubMed Central PMC8056605.
- Pillai, JA, Bebek, G, Khrestian, M, Bena, J, Bergmann, CC, Bush, WS, Leverenz, JB, Bekris, LM. TNFRSF1B Gene Variants and Related Soluble TNFR2 Levels Impact Resilience in Alzheimer's Disease. Front Aging Neurosci 2021; 13 : 638922. PubMed PMID:33716716 PubMed Central PMC7947258.
- Huynh-Le, MP, Fan, CC, Karunamuni, R, Thompson, WK, Martinez, ME, Eeles, RA, Kote-Jarai, Z, Muir, K, Schleutker, J, Pashayan, N et al.. Polygenic hazard score is associated with prostate cancer in multi-ethnic populations. Nat Commun 2021; 12 (1): 1236. PubMed PMID:33623038 PubMed Central PMC7902617.
- Conti, DV, Darst, BF, Moss, LC, Saunders, EJ, Sheng, X, Chou, A, Schumacher, FR, Olama, AAA, Benlloch, S, Dadaev, T et al.. Publisher Correction: Trans-ancestry genome-wide association meta-analysis of prostate cancer identifies new susceptibility loci and informs genetic risk prediction. Nat Genet 2021; 53 (3): 413. PubMed PMID:33473200 .
- Stein, CM, Benchek, P, Bartlett, J, Igo, RP, Sobota, RS, Chervenak, K, Mayanja-Kizza, H, von Reyn, CF, Lahey, T, Bush, WS et al.. Methylome-wide Analysis Reveals Epigenetic Marks Associated With Resistance to Tuberculosis in Human Immunodeficiency Virus-Infected Individuals From East Africa. J Infect Dis 2021; 224 (4): 695-704. PubMed PMID:33400784 PubMed Central PMC8366433.
- Conti, DV, Darst, BF, Moss, LC, Saunders, EJ, Sheng, X, Chou, A, Schumacher, FR, Olama, AAA, Benlloch, S, Dadaev, T et al.. Trans-ancestry genome-wide association meta-analysis of prostate cancer identifies new susceptibility loci and informs genetic risk prediction. Nat Genet 2021; 53 (1): 65-75. PubMed PMID:33398198 PubMed Central PMC8148035.