WILLIAM S. BUSH, PHD, MS
Associate Director for Bioinformatics Research
William S. Bush, PhD, MS, is Associate Professor in the Department of Population and Quantitative Health Sciences and the Cleveland Institute for Computational Biology at Case Western Reserve University. Dr. Bush received his PhD at Vanderbilt University in Human Genetics in 2008 and then continued as a post-doctoral fellow in the Neurogenomics Training Program at Vanderbilt. Dr. Bush was recently named a Mt. Sinai Health Care Foundation Scholar. As a human geneticist and bioinformatician, Dr. Bush’s research interests include understanding the functional impact of genetic variation, developing statistical and bioinformatics approaches for integrating functional genomics knowledge into genetic analysis, and the use of electronic medical records for translational research.
eMERGE Phenome-Wide Association Study (PheWAS) identifies clinical associations and pleiotropy for stop-gain variants.
Verma A, Verma SS, Pendergrass SA, Crawford DC, Crosslin DR, Kuivaniemi H, Bush WS, Bradford Y, Kullo I, Bielinski SJ, Li R, Denny JC, Peissig P, Hebbring S, De Andrade M, Ritchie MD, Tromp G,. We explored premature stop-gain variants to test the hypothesis that variants, which are likely to have a consequence on protein […]
Bush WS, Crosslin DR, Owusu-Obeng A, Wallace J, Almoguera B, Basford MA, Bielinski SJ, Carrell DS, Connolly JJ, Crawford D, Doheny KF, Gallego CJ, Gordon AS, Keating B, Kirby J, Kitchner T, Manzi S, Mejia AR, Pan V, Perry CL, Peterson JF, Prows CA, Ralston J, Scott SA, Scrol A, Smith M, Stallings SC, Veldhuizen […]
Is Isolated Low High-Density Lipoprotein Cholesterol a Cardiovascular Disease Risk Factor? New Insights From the Framingham Offspring Study.
Bartlett J, Predazzi IM, Williams SM, Bush WS, Kim Y, Havas S, Toth PP, Fazio S, Miller M,. Although the inverse association between high-density lipoprotein cholesterol (HDL-C) and risk of cardiovascular disease (CVD) has been long established, it remains unclear whether low HDL-C remains a CVD risk factor when levels of low-density lipoprotein cholesterol (LDL-C) […]
Simonti CN, Vernot B, Bastarache L, Bottinger E, Carrell DS, Chisholm RL, Crosslin DR, Hebbring SJ, Jarvik GP, Kullo IJ, Li R, Pathak J, Ritchie MD, Roden DM, Verma SS, Tromp G, Prato JD, Bush WS, Akey JM, Denny JC, Capra JA,. Many modern human genomes retain DNA inherited from interbreeding with archaic hominins, such […]
Discovery of gene-gene interactions across multiple independent data sets of late onset Alzheimer disease from the Alzheimer Disease Genetics Consortium.
Hohman TJ, Bush WS, Jiang L, Brown-Gentry KD, Torstenson ES, Dudek SM, Mukherjee S, Naj A, Kunkle BW, Ritchie MD, Martin ER, Schellenberg GD, Mayeux R, Farrer LA, Pericak-Vance MA, Haines JL, Thornton-Wells TA, ,. Late-onset Alzheimer disease (AD) has a complex genetic etiology, involving locus heterogeneity, polygenic inheritance, and gene-gene interactions; however, the investigation […]
- Karunamuni, RA, Huynh-Le, MP, Fan, CC, Thompson, W, Eeles, RA, Kote-Jarai, Z, Muir, K, UKGPCS collaborators, Lophatananon, A, Tangen, CM et al.. African-specific improvement of a polygenic hazard score for age at diagnosis of prostate cancer. Int. J. Cancer 2020; : . PubMed PMID:32930425 .
- Tang, ZZ, Sliwoski, GR, Chen, G, Jin, B, Bush, WS, Li, B, Capra, JA. PSCAN: Spatial scan tests guided by protein structures improve complex disease gene discovery and signal variant detection. Genome Biol. 2020; 21 (1): 217. PubMed PMID:32847609 PubMed Central PMC7448521.
- Dumitrescu, L, Mahoney, ER, Mukherjee, S, Lee, ML, Bush, WS, Engelman, CD, Lu, Q, Fardo, DW, Trittschuh, EH, Mez, J et al.. Genetic variants and functional pathways associated with resilience to Alzheimer's disease. Brain 2020; 143 (8): 2561-2575. PubMed PMID:32844198 PubMed Central PMC7447518.
- Griswold, AJ, Sivasankaran, SK, Van Booven, D, Gardner, OK, Rajabli, F, Whitehead, PL, Hamilton-Nelson, KL, Adams, LD, Scott, AM, Hofmann, NK et al.. Immune and Inflammatory Pathways Implicated by Whole Blood Transcriptomic Analysis in a Diverse Ancestry Alzheimer's Disease Cohort. J. Alzheimers Dis. 2020; 76 (3): 1047-1060. PubMed PMID:32597797 .
- Darst, BF, Wan, P, Sheng, X, Bensen, JT, Ingles, SA, Rybicki, BA, Nemesure, B, John, EM, Fowke, JH, Stevens, VL et al.. A Germline Variant at 8q24 Contributes to Familial Clustering of Prostate Cancer in Men of African Ancestry. Eur. Urol. 2020; 78 (3): 316-320. PubMed PMID:32409115 .
- Ji, X, Mukherjee, S, Landi, MT, Bosse, Y, Joubert, P, Zhu, D, Gorlov, I, Xiao, X, Han, Y, Gorlova, O et al.. Protein-altering germline mutations implicate novel genes related to lung cancer development. Nat Commun 2020; 11 (1): 2220. PubMed PMID:32393777 PubMed Central PMC7214407.
- Bush, WS, Wheeler, N, Beaulieu-Jones, B, Darabos, C. Packaging Biocomputing Software to Maximize Distribution and Reuse. Pac Symp Biocomput 2020; 25 : 739-742. PubMed PMID:31797644 .
- Crawford, DC, Lin, J, Cooke Bailey, JN, Kinzy, T, Sedor, JR, O'Toole, JF, Bush, WS. Frequency of ClinVar Pathogenic Variants in Chronic Kidney Disease Patients Surveyed for Return of Research Results at a Cleveland Public Hospital. Pac Symp Biocomput 2020; 25 : 575-586. PubMed PMID:31797629 PubMed Central PMC6931908.
- Wheeler, NR, Benchek, P, Kunkle, BW, Hamilton-Nelson, KL, Warfe, M, Fondran, JR, Haines, JL, Bush, WS. Hadoop and PySpark for reproducibility and scalability of genomic sequencing studies. Pac Symp Biocomput 2020; 25 : 523-534. PubMed PMID:31797624 PubMed Central PMC6956992.
- Bis, JC, Jian, X, Kunkle, BW, Chen, Y, Hamilton-Nelson, KL, Bush, WS, Salerno, WJ, Lancour, D, Ma, Y, Renton, AE et al.. Correction: Whole exome sequencing study identifies novel rare and common Alzheimer's-Associated variants involved in immune response and transcriptional regulation. Mol. Psychiatry 2020; 25 (8): 1901-1903. PubMed PMID:31636380 PubMed Central PMC7387240.