WILLIAM S. BUSH, PHD, MS
Associate Director for Bioinformatics Research
William S. Bush, PhD, MS, is Associate Professor in the Department of Population and Quantitative Health Sciences and the Cleveland Institute for Computational Biology at Case Western Reserve University. Dr. Bush received his PhD at Vanderbilt University in Human Genetics in 2008 and then continued as a post-doctoral fellow in the Neurogenomics Training Program at Vanderbilt. Dr. Bush was recently named a Mt. Sinai Health Care Foundation Scholar. As a human geneticist and bioinformatician, Dr. Bush’s research interests include understanding the functional impact of genetic variation, developing statistical and bioinformatics approaches for integrating functional genomics knowledge into genetic analysis, and the use of electronic medical records for translational research.
eMERGE Phenome-Wide Association Study (PheWAS) identifies clinical associations and pleiotropy for stop-gain variants.
Verma A, Verma SS, Pendergrass SA, Crawford DC, Crosslin DR, Kuivaniemi H, Bush WS, Bradford Y, Kullo I, Bielinski SJ, Li R, Denny JC, Peissig P, Hebbring S, De Andrade M, Ritchie MD, Tromp G,. We explored premature stop-gain variants to test the hypothesis that variants, which are likely to have a consequence on protein […]
Bush WS, Crosslin DR, Owusu-Obeng A, Wallace J, Almoguera B, Basford MA, Bielinski SJ, Carrell DS, Connolly JJ, Crawford D, Doheny KF, Gallego CJ, Gordon AS, Keating B, Kirby J, Kitchner T, Manzi S, Mejia AR, Pan V, Perry CL, Peterson JF, Prows CA, Ralston J, Scott SA, Scrol A, Smith M, Stallings SC, Veldhuizen […]
Is Isolated Low High-Density Lipoprotein Cholesterol a Cardiovascular Disease Risk Factor? New Insights From the Framingham Offspring Study.
Bartlett J, Predazzi IM, Williams SM, Bush WS, Kim Y, Havas S, Toth PP, Fazio S, Miller M,. Although the inverse association between high-density lipoprotein cholesterol (HDL-C) and risk of cardiovascular disease (CVD) has been long established, it remains unclear whether low HDL-C remains a CVD risk factor when levels of low-density lipoprotein cholesterol (LDL-C) […]
Simonti CN, Vernot B, Bastarache L, Bottinger E, Carrell DS, Chisholm RL, Crosslin DR, Hebbring SJ, Jarvik GP, Kullo IJ, Li R, Pathak J, Ritchie MD, Roden DM, Verma SS, Tromp G, Prato JD, Bush WS, Akey JM, Denny JC, Capra JA,. Many modern human genomes retain DNA inherited from interbreeding with archaic hominins, such […]
Discovery of gene-gene interactions across multiple independent data sets of late onset Alzheimer disease from the Alzheimer Disease Genetics Consortium.
Hohman TJ, Bush WS, Jiang L, Brown-Gentry KD, Torstenson ES, Dudek SM, Mukherjee S, Naj A, Kunkle BW, Ritchie MD, Martin ER, Schellenberg GD, Mayeux R, Farrer LA, Pericak-Vance MA, Haines JL, Thornton-Wells TA, ,. Late-onset Alzheimer disease (AD) has a complex genetic etiology, involving locus heterogeneity, polygenic inheritance, and gene-gene interactions; however, the investigation […]
- Bush, WS, Wheeler, N, Beaulieu-Jones, B, Darabos, C. Packaging Biocomputing Software to Maximize Distribution and Reuse. Pac Symp Biocomput 2020; 25 : 739-742. PubMed PMID:31797644 .
- Crawford, DC, Lin, J, Cooke Bailey, JN, Kinzy, T, Sedor, JR, O'Toole, JF, Bush, WS. Frequency of ClinVar Pathogenic Variants in Chronic Kidney Disease Patients Surveyed for Return of Research Results at a Cleveland Public Hospital. Pac Symp Biocomput 2020; 25 : 575-586. PubMed PMID:31797629 PubMed Central PMC6931908.
- Wheeler, NR, Benchek, P, Kunkle, BW, Hamilton-Nelson, KL, Warfe, M, Fondran, JR, Haines, JL, Bush, WS. Hadoop and PySpark for reproducibility and scalability of genomic sequencing studies. Pac Symp Biocomput 2020; 25 : 523-534. PubMed PMID:31797624 PubMed Central PMC6956992.
- Bis, JC, Jian, X, Kunkle, BW, Chen, Y, Hamilton-Nelson, KL, Bush, WS, Salerno, WJ, Lancour, D, Ma, Y, Renton, AE et al.. Correction: Whole exome sequencing study identifies novel rare and common Alzheimer's-Associated variants involved in immune response and transcriptional regulation. Mol. Psychiatry 2019; : . PubMed PMID:31636380 .
- Dumitrescu, L, Barnes, LL, Thambisetty, M, Beecham, G, Kunkle, B, Bush, WS, Gifford, KA, Chibnik, LB, Mukherjee, S, De Jager, PL et al.. Sex differences in the genetic predictors of Alzheimer's pathology. Brain 2019; 142 (9): 2581-2589. PubMed PMID:31497858 PubMed Central PMC6736148.
- Bush, WS, Cooke Bailey, JN, Beno, MF, Crawford, DC. Bridging the Gaps in Personalized Medicine Value Assessment: A Review of the Need for Outcome Metrics across Stakeholders and Scientific Disciplines. Public Health Genomics 2019; 22 (1-2): 16-24. PubMed PMID:31454805 PubMed Central PMC6752968.
- Kunkle, BW, Grenier-Boley, B, Sims, R, Bis, JC, Damotte, V, Naj, AC, Boland, A, Vronskaya, M, van der Lee, SJ, Amlie-Wolf, A et al.. Author Correction: Genetic meta-analysis of diagnosed Alzheimer's disease identifies new risk loci and implicates Aβ, tau, immunity and lipid processing. Nat. Genet. 2019; 51 (9): 1423-1424. PubMed PMID:31417202 .
- Gardner, OK, Wang, L, Van Booven, D, Whitehead, PL, Hamilton-Nelson, KL, Adams, LD, Starks, TD, Hofmann, NK, Vance, JM, Cuccaro, ML et al.. RNA editing alterations in a multi-ethnic Alzheimer disease cohort converge on immune and endocytic molecular pathways. Hum. Mol. Genet. 2019; 28 (18): 3053-3061. PubMed PMID:31162550 PubMed Central PMC6737295.
- Li, Y, Xiao, X, Bossé, Y, Gorlova, O, Gorlov, I, Han, Y, Byun, J, Leighl, N, Johansen, JS, Barnett, M et al.. Genetic interaction analysis among oncogenesis-related genes revealed novel genes and networks in lung cancer development. Oncotarget 2019; 10 (19): 1760-1774. PubMed PMID:30956756 PubMed Central PMC6442994.
- Kunkle, BW, Grenier-Boley, B, Sims, R, Bis, JC, Damotte, V, Naj, AC, Boland, A, Vronskaya, M, van der Lee, SJ, Amlie-Wolf, A et al.. Genetic meta-analysis of diagnosed Alzheimer's disease identifies new risk loci and implicates Aβ, tau, immunity and lipid processing. Nat. Genet. 2019; 51 (3): 414-430. PubMed PMID:30820047 PubMed Central PMC6463297.