Dr. Misa Graff is Research Assistant Professor of Epidemiology at the University of North Carolina Gillings School of Global Public Health. Dr. Graff's research interests focus on the genetics of obesity and cardiovascular disease risk traits, with an overarching goal of integrating understanding of both genetic and environmental risk factors for disease, particularly among minority populations. Dr. Graff's current projects include the genetic epidemiology of weight gain across adolescence into young adulthood; gene-environment interactions across multiple large cohorts; the genetic architecture of adiposity in African Americans and Hispanics; and examination of genetic effects influencing cardiovascular disease risk traits and diseases burdening minority populations.
- Downie, CG, Highland, HM, Lee, MP, Raffield, LM, Preuss, M, Whitsel, EA, Psaty, BM, Sitlani, CM, Graff, M, Avery, CL et al.. GWAS of Variant-by-Thiazide Interaction on Lipids Identifies a Novel Low-Density Lipoprotein Cholesterol Locus. Circ Res 2022; : 101161CIRCRESAHA122321120. PubMed PMID:35701873 .
- Von Holle, A, North, KE, Gahagan, S, Blanco, E, Burrows, R, Lozoff, B, Howard, AG, Justice, AE, Graff, M, Voruganti, S et al.. Infant Growth Trajectories and Lipid Levels in Adolescence: Evidence from a Chilean Infancy Cohort. Am J Epidemiol 2022; : . PubMed PMID:35467716 .
- Highland, HM, Wojcik, GL, Graff, M, Nishimura, KK, Hodonsky, CJ, Baldassari, AR, Cote, AC, Cheng, I, Gignoux, CR, Tao, R et al.. Predicted gene expression in ancestrally diverse populations leads to discovery of susceptibility loci for lifestyle and cardiometabolic traits. Am J Hum Genet 2022; 109 (4): 669-679. PubMed PMID:35263625 PubMed Central PMC9069067.
- Downie, CG, Dimos, SF, Bien, SA, Hu, Y, Darst, BF, Polfus, LM, Wang, Y, Wojcik, GL, Tao, R, Raffield, LM et al.. Multi-ethnic GWAS and fine-mapping of glycaemic traits identify novel loci in the PAGE Study. Diabetologia 2022; 65 (3): 477-489. PubMed PMID:34951656 PubMed Central PMC8810722.
- Graham, SE, Clarke, SL, Wu, KH, Kanoni, S, Zajac, GJM, Ramdas, S, Surakka, I, Ntalla, I, Vedantam, S, Winkler, TW et al.. The power of genetic diversity in genome-wide association studies of lipids. Nature 2021; 600 (7890): 675-679. PubMed PMID:34887591 PubMed Central PMC8730582.
- Kim, D, Justice, AE, Chittoor, G, Blanco, E, Burrows, R, Graff, M, Howard, AG, Wang, Y, Rohde, R, Buchanan, VL et al.. Genetic determinants of metabolic biomarkers and their associations with cardiometabolic traits in Hispanic/Latino adolescents. Pediatr Res 2021; : . PubMed PMID:34645953 PubMed Central PMC9005573.
- Polfus, LM, Darst, BF, Highland, H, Sheng, X, Ng, MCY, Below, JE, Petty, L, Bien, S, Sim, X, Wang, W et al.. Genetic discovery and risk characterization in type 2 diabetes across diverse populations. HGG Adv 2021; 2 (2): . PubMed PMID:34604815 PubMed Central PMC8486151.
- Sun, Q, Graff, M, Rowland, B, Wen, J, Huang, L, Miller-Fleming, TW, Haessler, J, Preuss, MH, Chai, JF, Lee, MP et al.. Analyses of biomarker traits in diverse UK biobank participants identify associations missed by European-centric analysis strategies. J Hum Genet 2022; 67 (2): 87-93. PubMed PMID:34376796 PubMed Central PMC8792153.
- Graff, M, Justice, AE, Young, KL, Marouli, E, Zhang, X, Fine, RS, Lim, E, Buchanan, V, Rand, K, Feitosa, MF et al.. Discovery and fine-mapping of height loci via high-density imputation of GWASs in individuals of African ancestry. Am J Hum Genet 2021; 108 (4): 564-582. PubMed PMID:33713608 PubMed Central PMC8059339.
- Hou, R, Cole, SA, Graff, M, Wang, Y, Haack, K, Laston, S, Mehta, NR, Shypailo, RJ, Gourlay, ML, Comuzzie, AG et al.. Genetic variants and physical activity interact to affect bone density in Hispanic children. BMC Pediatr 2021; 21 (1): 79. PubMed PMID:33588791 PubMed Central PMC7883422.
Continuing a pregnancy to term has a 14-fold risk of death compared with undergoing abortion. A complete ban in the U.S. would cause a 21% increase in maternal deaths in the first year. Read our Maternal and Child Health Department's full statement (PDF). sph.unc.edu/wp-content/upl…
For her MPH practicum, Nija, MPH Candidate in MCFH @UNCpublichealth, is working with @DurhamHealthNC on the 2023 Community Health Assessment to guide decision-making, programs, & policies to promote equitable safety & good physical, mental, & social health ow.ly/oIPh50JIt55 Retweeted by UNC Public Health
As temperatures rise, the Albemarle Sound Basin in northeastern North Carolina hosts an increasing number of algal blooms. New research draws a connection between the presence of these blooms and potentially hazardous fine particulate matter in the air. coastalreview.org/2022/06/study-…
With 563 active startups, launched by its faculty, staff and students, currently creating social good and economic impact, UNC-Chapel Hill exemplifies a national trend: Universities are becoming increasingly adept at launching startup companies. wraltechwire.com/2022/06/20/fig…
June is the first month of hurricane season. For the seventh year in a row, the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration predicts above-average hurricane activity, and 14 to 21 of the storms may be large enough to get a name. Are we prepared? marketplace.org/2022/06/01/big…
Like many others in public health, I am outraged about recent SCOTUS rulings. While political tides ebb and flow, public health remains constant. Our goal is unchanging: better health and well-being, both physical and mental, for ALL. Don’t lose hope. Retweeted by UNC Public Health