Dr. Blanca Himes is Assistant Professor in the Department of Biostatistics and Epidemiology in the Perelman School of Medicine at the University of Pennsylvania. Dr. Himes is also affiliated with the Graduate Group in Genomics and Computational Biology. As a computational scientist, Dr. Himes’ research interests focus on using biomedical informatics approaches to better understand complex respiratory diseases such as asthma. Among the on-going projects in the Himes lab include understanding the function of disease-associated genes by altering cell-specific transcriptomes, integrating diverse genomic datasets to model cellular transcriptome changes involved in disease, and using geospatial demographic and environmental data to better understand factors that contribute to asthma prevalence and exacerbation. In addition to research, Dr. Himes is active in mentoring students, and she blogs occasionally to address topics posed by young students such as career advice, personal motivation for doing research, and parenthood. Dr. Himes’ research potential and leadership skills have been recognized with the UCSD Sang-keng Ma Memorial Award (2001) and the Harvard-MIT Division of Health Sciences and Technology Student Leadership Award (2007).
- Christie, C, Xie, S, Diwadkar, AR, Greenblatt, RE, Rizaldi, A, Himes, BE. Consolidated Environmental and Social Data Facilitates Neighborhood-Level Health Studies in Philadelphia. AMIA Annu Symp Proc 2021; 2021 : 305-313. PubMed PMID:35308932 PubMed Central PMC8861730.
- Kan, M, Diwadkar, AR, Shuai, H, Joo, J, Wang, AL, Ong, MS, Sordillo, JE, Iribarren, C, Lu, MX, Hernandez-Pacheco, N et al.. Multiomics analysis identifies BIRC3 as a novel glucocorticoid response-associated gene. J Allergy Clin Immunol 2021; : . PubMed PMID:34971648 .
- Martin, JA, Crane-Droesch, A, Lapite, FC, Puhl, JC, Kmiec, TE, Silvestri, JA, Ungar, LH, Kinosian, BP, Himes, BE, Hubbard, RA et al.. Development and validation of a prediction model for actionable aspects of frailty in the text of clinicians' encounter notes. J Am Med Inform Assoc 2021; 29 (1): 109-119. PubMed PMID:34791302 PubMed Central PMC8714261.
- Sayed, S, Diwadkar, AR, Dudley, JW, O'Brien, J, Dvorin, D, Kenyon, CC, Himes, BE, Hill, DA, Henrickson, SE. COVID-19 Pandemic-Related Reductions in Pediatric Asthma Exacerbations Corresponded with an Overall Decrease in Respiratory Viral Infections. J Allergy Clin Immunol Pract 2022; 10 (1): 91-99.e12. PubMed PMID:34785388 PubMed Central PMC8590625.
- Cao, G, Lam, H, Jude, JA, Karmacharya, N, Kan, M, Jester, W, Koziol-White, C, Himes, BE, Chupp, GL, An, SS et al.. Inhibition of ABCC1 Decreases cAMP Egress and Promotes Human Airway Smooth Muscle Cell Relaxation. Am J Respir Cell Mol Biol 2022; 66 (1): 96-106. PubMed PMID:34648729 PubMed Central PMC8803359.
- Xie, S, Meeker, JR, Perez, L, Eriksen, W, Localio, A, Park, H, Jen, A, Goldstein, M, Temeng, AF, Morales, SM et al.. Feasibility and acceptability of monitoring personal air pollution exposure with sensors for asthma self-management. Asthma Res Pract 2021; 7 (1): 13. PubMed PMID:34482835 PubMed Central PMC8420032.
- Park, HR, Vallarino, J, O'Sullivan, M, Wirth, C, Panganiban, RA, Webb, G, Shumyatcher, M, Himes, BE, Park, JA, Christiani, DC et al.. Electronic cigarette smoke reduces ribosomal protein gene expression to impair protein synthesis in primary human airway epithelial cells. Sci Rep 2021; 11 (1): 17517. PubMed PMID:34471210 PubMed Central PMC8410828.
- Diwadkar, AR, Yoon, S, Shim, J, Gonzalez, M, Urbanowicz, R, Himes, BE. Integrating Biomedical Informatics Training into Existing High School Curricula. AMIA Jt Summits Transl Sci Proc ; 2021 : 190-199. PubMed PMID:34457133 PubMed Central PMC8378629.
- Singh, D, Marrocco, A, Wohlleben, W, Park, HR, Diwadkar, AR, Himes, BE, Lu, Q, Christiani, DC, Demokritou, P. Release of particulate matter from nano-enabled building materials (NEBMs) across their lifecycle: Potential occupational health and safety implications. J Hazard Mater 2022; 422 : 126771. PubMed PMID:34391975 PubMed Central PMC8595827.
- Holmes, JH, Beinlich, J, Boland, MR, Bowles, KH, Chen, Y, Cook, TS, Demiris, G, Draugelis, M, Fluharty, L, Gabriel, PE et al.. Why Is the Electronic Health Record So Challenging for Research and Clinical Care? Methods Inf Med 2021; 60 (1-02): 32-48. PubMed PMID:34282602 .