Dr. Blanca Himes is Assistant Professor in the Department of Biostatistics and Epidemiology in the Perelman School of Medicine at the University of Pennsylvania. Dr. Himes is also affiliated with the Graduate Group in Genomics and Computational Biology. As a computational scientist, Dr. Himes’ research interests focus on using biomedical informatics approaches to better understand complex respiratory diseases such as asthma. Among the on-going projects in the Himes lab include understanding the function of disease-associated genes by altering cell-specific transcriptomes, integrating diverse genomic datasets to model cellular transcriptome changes involved in disease, and using geospatial demographic and environmental data to better understand factors that contribute to asthma prevalence and exacerbation. In addition to research, Dr. Himes is active in mentoring students, and she blogs occasionally to address topics posed by young students such as career advice, personal motivation for doing research, and parenthood. Dr. Himes’ research potential and leadership skills have been recognized with the UCSD Sang-keng Ma Memorial Award (2001) and the Harvard-MIT Division of Health Sciences and Technology Student Leadership Award (2007).
- Kan, M, Himes, BE. Insights into glucocorticoid responses derived from omics studies. Pharmacol. Ther. 2020; : 107674. PubMed PMID:32910934 .
- Taquechel, K, Diwadkar, AR, Sayed, S, Dudley, JW, Grundmeier, RW, Kenyon, CC, Henrickson, SE, Himes, BE, Hill, DA. Pediatric Asthma Health Care Utilization, Viral Testing, and Air Pollution Changes During the COVID-19 Pandemic. J Allergy Clin Immunol Pract 2020; : . PubMed PMID:32827728 PubMed Central PMC7438361.
- Joo, J, Hobbs, BD, Cho, MH, Himes, BE. Trait Insights Gained by Comparing Genome-Wide Association Study Results using Different Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease Definitions. AMIA Jt Summits Transl Sci Proc 2020; 2020 : 278-287. PubMed PMID:32477647 PubMed Central PMC7233028.
- Moore, JH, Barnett, I, Boland, MR, Chen, Y, Demiris, G, Gonzalez-Hernandez, G, Herman, DS, Himes, BE, Hubbard, RA, Kim, D et al.. Ideas for how informaticians can get involved with COVID-19 research. BioData Min 2020; 13 : 3. PubMed PMID:32419848 PubMed Central PMC7216865.
- Mak, ACY, Sajuthi, S, Joo, J, Xiao, S, Sleiman, PM, White, MJ, Lee, EY, Saef, B, Hu, D, Gui, H et al.. Lung Function in African American Children with Asthma Is Associated with Novel Regulatory Variants of the KIT Ligand KITLG/SCF and Gene-By-Air-Pollution Interaction. Genetics 2020; 215 (3): 869-886. PubMed PMID:32327564 PubMed Central PMC7337089.
- Xie, S, Hubbard, RA, Himes, BE. Analysis of Spatial Trends in Smoking Status Among Patients with Obstructive Airway Diseases Highlight Potential for Targeted Smoking Cessation Interventions. AMIA Annu Symp Proc 2019; 2019 : 1256-1265. PubMed PMID:32308923 PubMed Central PMC7153095.
- Diwadkar, AR, Kan, M, Himes, BE. Facilitating Analysis of Publicly Available ChIP-Seq Data for Integrative Studies. AMIA Annu Symp Proc 2019; 2019 : 371-379. PubMed PMID:32308830 PubMed Central PMC7153109.
- Xie, S, Hubbard, RA, Himes, BE. Neighborhood-level measures of socioeconomic status are more correlated with individual-level measures in urban areas compared with less urban areas. Ann Epidemiol 2020; 43 : 37-43.e4. PubMed PMID:32151518 PubMed Central PMC7160852.
- Balamuth, F, Alpern, ER, Kan, M, Shumyatcher, M, Hayes, K, Lautenbach, E, Himes, BE. Gene Expression Profiles in Children With Suspected Sepsis. Ann Emerg Med 2020; 75 (6): 744-754. PubMed PMID:31983492 PubMed Central PMC7261647.
- Parker, MM, Chase, RP, Lamb, A, Reyes, A, Saferali, A, Yun, JH, Himes, BE, Silverman, EK, Hersh, CP, Castaldi, PJ et al.. Correction to: RNA sequencing identifies novel non-coding RNA and exon-specific effects associated with cigarette smoking. BMC Med Genomics 2019; 12 (1): 166. PubMed PMID:31739789 PubMed Central PMC6859605.