Dr. Márquez Luna is a post-doctoral fellow at Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai in the laboratory of Dr. Ron Do. Dr. Márquez Luna completed her PhD in Biostatistics at Harvard University in 2018 under the supervision of Dr. Alkes Price. Her doctoral research focused on the development of methods that leverage functional annotations and multi-ethnic data to improve polygenic risk prediction. Carla holds a Bachelors in Mathematics from National Autonomous University of Mexico (UNAM). After college, she worked as a research assistant at the National Institute of Genomic Medicine (INMEGEN) in Mexico, and did two research stays at the Broad Institute of MIT and Harvard where she worked on genome-wide association studies for metabolic traits and type 2 diabetes in Mexican populations, the latter as part of the SIGMA T2D consortium. Dr. Márquez Luna was a 2019 panelist for RIIAA MEX, an international meeting on artificial intelligence and its applications. She also served as a teaching fellow for the 2019 Global Initiative for Neuropsychiatric Genetics Education in Research (GINGER) on-site training in Campeche, Mexico.
- Park, JK, Petrazzini, BO, Saha, A, Vaid, A, Vy, HMT, Márquez-Luna, C, Chan, L, Nadkarni, GN, Do, R. Machine Learning Identifies Plasma Metabolites Associated With Heart Failure in Underrepresented Populations With the TTR V122I Variant. J Am Heart Assoc 2023; 12 (8): e027736. PubMed PMID:37042260 PubMed Central PMC10227245.
- Park, JK, Bafna, S, Forrest, IS, Duffy, Á, Marquez-Luna, C, Petrazzini, BO, Vy, HM, Jordan, DM, Verbanck, M, Narula, J et al.. Phenome-wide Mendelian randomization study of plasma triglyceride levels and 2600 disease traits. Elife 2023; 12 : . PubMed PMID:36988189 PubMed Central PMC10079290.
- Petrazzini, BO, Vaid, A, Park, JK, Marquez-Luna, C, Vy, HM, Saha, A, Chaudhary, K, Cho, J, Chan, L, Argulian, E et al.. Short-term prediction of coronary artery disease using serum metabolomic patterns. Am Heart J Plus 2022; 24 : . PubMed PMID:36788979 PubMed Central PMC9924019.
- Forrest, IS, Petrazzini, BO, Duffy, Á, Park, JK, Marquez-Luna, C, Jordan, DM, Rocheleau, G, Cho, JH, Rosenson, RS, Narula, J et al.. Machine learning-based marker for coronary artery disease: derivation and validation in two longitudinal cohorts. Lancet 2023; 401 (10372): 215-225. PubMed PMID:36563696 PubMed Central PMC10069625.
- Camarena, B, Atkinson, EG, Baker, M, Becerra-Palars, C, Chibnik, LB, Escamilla-Orozco, R, Jiménez-Pavón, J, Koenig, Z, Márquez-Luna, C, Martin, AR et al.. Neuropsychiatric Genetics of Psychosis in the Mexican Population: A Genome-Wide Association Study Protocol for Schizophrenia, Schizoaffective, and Bipolar Disorder Patients and Controls. Complex Psychiatry 2021; 7 (3-4): 60-70. PubMed PMID:36017067 PubMed Central PMC8740081.
- O'Sullivan, JW, Raghavan, S, Marquez-Luna, C, Luzum, JA, Damrauer, SM, Ashley, EA, O'Donnell, CJ, Willer, CJ, Natarajan, P, American Heart Association Council on Genomic and Precision Medicine; Council on Clinical Cardiology; Council on Arteriosclerosis, Thrombosis and Vascular Biology; Council on Cardiovascular Radiology and Intervention; Council on Lifestyle and Cardiometabolic Health; and Council on Peripheral Vascular Disease et al.. Polygenic Risk Scores for Cardiovascular Disease: A Scientific Statement From the American Heart Association. Circulation 2022; 146 (8): e93-e118. PubMed PMID:35862132 PubMed Central PMC9847481.
- Forrest, IS, Chan, L, Chaudhary, K, Saha, A, Wen, HH, Cepin, CL, Marquez-Luna, C, Rocheleau, G, Cho, J, Narula, J et al.. Genome-first recall of healthy individuals by polygenic risk score reveals differences in coronary artery calcium. Am Heart J 2022; 250 : 29-33. PubMed PMID:35526571 .
- Petrazzini, BO, Chaudhary, K, Márquez-Luna, C, Forrest, IS, Rocheleau, G, Cho, J, Narula, J, Nadkarni, G, Do, R. Coronary Risk Estimation Based on Clinical Data in Electronic Health Records. J Am Coll Cardiol 2022; 79 (12): 1155-1166. PubMed PMID:35331410 PubMed Central PMC8956801.
- Márquez-Luna, C, Gazal, S, Loh, PR, Kim, SS, Furlotte, N, Auton, A, 23andMe Research Team, Price, AL. Incorporating functional priors improves polygenic prediction accuracy in UK Biobank and 23andMe data sets. Nat Commun 2021; 12 (1): 6052. PubMed PMID:34663819 PubMed Central PMC8523709.
- Cheng, H, Sewda, A, Marquez-Luna, C, White, SR, Whitney, BM, Williams-Nguyen, J, Nance, RM, Lee, WJ, Kitahata, MM, Saag, MS et al.. Correction to: Genetic architecture of cardiometabolic risks in people living with HIV. BMC Med 2021; 19 (1): 114. PubMed PMID:33947393 PubMed Central PMC8097782.