Dr. Burchard is Harry Wm. and Diana V. Hind Distinguished Professor in Pharmaceutical Sciences Professor and Vice Chair, Departments of Bioengineering & Therapeutic Sciences and Medicine Director, Center for Genes, Environments & Health at the University of California, San Francisco. Dr. Burchard's laboratory investigates the genetic basis for differences in response to treatment for asthma. Dr. Burchard's laboratory is specifically interested in identifying "ethnic-specific" genetic and biologic risk factors for asthma, asthma severity, and drug responsiveness among US ethnic and racial minority groups as well as developing and applying statistical methods to admixed populations. Dr. Burchard is Principal Investigator of Gene-Environment Studies of Asthma in Hispanic/Latino Children (GALA) I and II among other NIH-funded studies. In March 2015, Dr. Burchard was named to the Precision Medicine Initiative (PMI) Working Group of the Advisory Committee to the National Institutes of Health (NIH) Director. More recently, Dr. Burchard was awarded the 2016 American Thoracic Society Innovations in Health Equality - Lifetime Achievement Award.
- Nieves-Colón, MA, Badillo Rivera, KM, Sandoval, K, Villanueva Dávalos, V, Enriquez Lencinas, LE, Mendoza-Revilla, J, Adhikari, K, González-Buenfil, R, Chen, JW, Zhang, ET et al.. Clotting factor genes are associated with preeclampsia in high-altitude pregnant women in the Peruvian Andes. Am J Hum Genet 2022; : . PubMed PMID:35588731 .
- Taub, MA, Conomos, MP, Keener, R, Iyer, KR, Weinstock, JS, Yanek, LR, Lane, J, Miller-Fleming, TW, Brody, JA, Raffield, LM et al.. Genetic determinants of telomere length from 109,122 ancestrally diverse whole-genome sequences in TOPMed. Cell Genom 2022; 2 (1): . PubMed PMID:35530816 PubMed Central PMC9075703.
- Kilanowski, A, Chen, J, Everson, T, Thiering, E, Wilson, R, Gladish, N, Waldenberger, M, Zhang, H, Celedón, JC, Burchard, EG et al.. Methylation risk scores for childhood aeroallergen sensitization: Results from the LISA birth cohort. Allergy 2022; : . PubMed PMID:35437756 .
- Sajuthi, SP, Everman, JL, Jackson, ND, Saef, B, Rios, CL, Moore, CM, Mak, ACY, Eng, C, Fairbanks-Mahnke, A, Salazar, S et al.. Nasal airway transcriptome-wide association study of asthma reveals genetically driven mucus pathobiology. Nat Commun 2022; 13 (1): 1632. PubMed PMID:35347136 PubMed Central PMC8960819.
- Wainschtein, P, Jain, D, Zheng, Z, TOPMed Anthropometry Working Group, NHLBI Trans-Omics for Precision Medicine (TOPMed) Consortium, Cupples, LA, Shadyab, AH, McKnight, B, Shoemaker, BM, Mitchell, BD et al.. Assessing the contribution of rare variants to complex trait heritability from whole-genome sequence data. Nat Genet 2022; 54 (3): 263-273. PubMed PMID:35256806 PubMed Central PMC9119698.
- Witonsky, J, Elhawary, JR, Eng, C, Rodríguez-Santana, JR, Borrell, LN, Burchard, EG. Genetic Ancestry to Improve Precision of Race/Ethnicity-based Lung Function Equations in Children. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 2022; 205 (6): 725-727. PubMed PMID:35085059 .
- Witonsky, J, Elhawary, JR, Eng, C, Rodríguez-Santana, JR, Borrell, LN, Burchard, EG. Race- and Ethnicity-Based Spirometry Reference Equations: Are They Accurate for Genetically Admixed Children? Chest 2022; : . PubMed PMID:35033507 .
- Herrera-Luis, E, Li, A, Mak, ACY, Perez-Garcia, J, Elhawary, JR, Oh, SS, Hu, D, Eng, C, Keys, KL, Huntsman, S et al.. Epigenome-wide association study of lung function in Latino children and youth with asthma. Clin Epigenetics 2022; 14 (1): 9. PubMed PMID:35033200 PubMed Central PMC8760660.
- Kan, M, Diwadkar, AR, Shuai, H, Joo, J, Wang, AL, Ong, MS, Sordillo, JE, Iribarren, C, Lu, MX, Hernandez-Pacheco, N et al.. Multiomics analysis identifies BIRC3 as a novel glucocorticoid response-associated gene. J Allergy Clin Immunol 2021; : . PubMed PMID:34971648 .
- Espuela-Ortiz, A, Herrera-Luis, E, Lorenzo-Díaz, F, Hu, D, Eng, C, Villar, J, Rodriguez-Santana, JR, Burchard, EG, Pino-Yanes, M. Role of Sex on the Genetic Susceptibility to Childhood Asthma in Latinos and African Americans. J Pers Med 2021; 11 (11): . PubMed PMID:34834492 PubMed Central PMC8625344.
Dr. Burchard on Twitter
We're hiring! Looking for a post-doc in human genetics/bioinformatics or statistical genetics. Come work with us. Why? Unique data resource: including 19,000+ whole genomes, 3000+ whole transcriptomes, and 2000+ methylation profiles. If interested see: pharm.ucsf.edu/burchard/join/…
Our wonderful colleague Dr. José Rodríguez-Santana was featured on the front page of @ElNuevoDia talking about our Puerto Rican pulmonary birth cohort project! #PuertoRico #PRIMERO elnuevodia.com/noticias/local… Learn more about his clinic here: rodriguezsantana.com/home twitter.com/UCSFMedicine/s…