Dr. Kaelber is a practicing internist, pediatrician, Vice-President of Health Informatics, and Chief Medical Informatics Officer at the MetroHealth System. Dr. Kaelber is also Professor in the CWRU Department of Internal Medicine with a secondary appointment in the Departments of Pediatrics and Epidemiology and Biostatistics. MetroHealth is an integrated health system and a primary teaching site for Case Western Reserve University (CWRU). Since the late 1990s, MetroHealth has been at the forefront in adopting electronic health records to advance high quality clinical care in the Cleveland area. Under Dr. Kaelber's leadership, MetroHealth implemented Care Everywhere, a health information exchange program that enables MetroHealth to share patient information with other healthcare systems in the United States. And, in 2011, Dr. Kaelber was instrumental in the development and launch of MyChart, the personal care health record complement of MetroHealth's EHR (Epic). Dr. Kaelber's research interests are rooted in pediatric populations where he has used EHR data to identify previously under-diagnosed hypertension patients and to monitor obesity trends over time. This work earned Dr. Kaelber recognition by the American Heart Association as one of the top ten breakthroughs in cardiovascular and stroke medicine in 2007. More broadly, Dr. Kaelber's research interests span EHRs, clinical decision support, use of EHRs in chronic disease detection and management, personal health records, and medical informatics.
- Wang, L, Davis, PB, Kaelber, DC, Xu, R. COVID-19 breakthrough infections and hospitalizations among vaccinated patients with dementia in the United States between December 2020 and August 2021. Alzheimers Dement 2022; : . PubMed PMID:35417628 PubMed Central PMC9073984.
- Wang, W, Kaelber, DC, Xu, R, Berger, NA. Breakthrough SARS-CoV-2 Infections, Hospitalizations, and Mortality in Vaccinated Patients With Cancer in the US Between December 2020 and November 2021. JAMA Oncol 2022; : . PubMed PMID:35394485 .
- Wang, L, Berger, NA, Kaelber, DC, Davis, PB, Volkow, ND, Xu, R. Incidence Rates and Clinical Outcomes of SARS-CoV-2 Infection With the Omicron and Delta Variants in Children Younger Than 5 Years in the US. JAMA Pediatr 2022; : . PubMed PMID:35363246 PubMed Central PMC8976262.
- McCauley, KL, Kaelber, DC, Mistovich, RJ. Did the COVID-19 pandemic lead to increased pediatric musculoskeletal nonaccidental trauma? A cross-sectional study. J Pediatr Orthop B 2022; : . PubMed PMID:35357345 .
- Birabaharan, M, Kaelber, DC, Orme, CM, Paravar, T, Karris, MY. Evaluating risk of bullous pemphigoid after mRNA COVID-19 vaccination. Br J Dermatol 2022; : . PubMed PMID:35279833 PubMed Central PMC9111668.
- Wang, L, Berger, NA, Kaelber, DC, Davis, PB, Volkow, ND, Xu, R. COVID infection rates, clinical outcomes, and racial/ethnic and gender disparities before and after Omicron emerged in the US. medRxiv 2022; : . PubMed PMID:35233579 PubMed Central PMC8887070.
- Israel, E, Cardet, JC, Carroll, JK, Fuhlbrigge, AL, She, L, Rockhold, FW, Maher, NE, Fagan, M, Forth, VE, Yawn, BP et al.. Reliever-Triggered Inhaled Glucocorticoid in Black and Latinx Adults with Asthma. N Engl J Med 2022; 386 (16): 1505-1518. PubMed PMID:35213105 .
- Wang, L, Kaelber, DC, Xu, R, Berger, NA. COVID-19 breakthrough infections, hospitalizations and mortality in fully vaccinated patients with hematologic malignancies: A clarion call for maintaining mitigation and ramping-up research. Blood Rev 2022; 54 : 100931. PubMed PMID:35120771 PubMed Central PMC8802493.
- Birabaharan, M, Kaelber, DC, Pettus, JH, Smith, DM. Risk of new-onset type 2 diabetes in 600 055 people after COVID-19: A cohort study. Diabetes Obes Metab 2022; 24 (6): 1176-1179. PubMed PMID:35112782 PubMed Central PMC9035030.
- Tarabichi, Y, Frees, A, Honeywell, S, Huang, C, Naidech, AM, Moore, JH, Kaelber, DC. The Cosmos Collaborative: A Vendor-Facilitated Electronic Health Record Data Aggregation Platform. ACI open 2021; 5 (1): e36-e46. PubMed PMID:35071993 PubMed Central PMC8775787.