Dr. Kaelber is a practicing internist, pediatrician, Vice-President of Health Informatics, and Chief Medical Informatics Officer at the MetroHealth System. Dr. Kaelber is also Professor in the CWRU Department of Internal Medicine with a secondary appointment in the Departments of Pediatrics and Epidemiology and Biostatistics. MetroHealth is an integrated health system and a primary teaching site for Case Western Reserve University (CWRU). Since the late 1990s, MetroHealth has been at the forefront in adopting electronic health records to advance high quality clinical care in the Cleveland area. Under Dr. Kaelber's leadership, MetroHealth implemented Care Everywhere, a health information exchange program that enables MetroHealth to share patient information with other healthcare systems in the United States. And, in 2011, Dr. Kaelber was instrumental in the development and launch of MyChart, the personal care health record complement of MetroHealth's EHR (Epic). Dr. Kaelber's research interests are rooted in pediatric populations where he has used EHR data to identify previously under-diagnosed hypertension patients and to monitor obesity trends over time. This work earned Dr. Kaelber recognition by the American Heart Association as one of the top ten breakthroughs in cardiovascular and stroke medicine in 2007. More broadly, Dr. Kaelber's research interests span EHRs, clinical decision support, use of EHRs in chronic disease detection and management, personal health records, and medical informatics.
- Kendall, EK, Olaker, VR, Kaelber, DC, Xu, R, Davis, PB. Association of SARS-CoV-2 Infection With New-Onset Type 1 Diabetes Among Pediatric Patients From 2020 to 2021. JAMA Netw Open 2022; 5 (9): e2233014. PubMed PMID:36149658 .
- Kim, EG, Kaelber, DC. Phenotypic prevalence of obesity and metabolic syndrome among an underdiagnosed and underscreened population of over 50 million children and adults. Front Genet 2022; 13 : 961116. PubMed PMID:36147487 PubMed Central PMC9485995.
- Dorney, I, Bobak, L, Otteson, T, Kaelber, DC. Prevalence of New-Onset Tinnitus after COVID-19 Vaccination with Comparison to Other Vaccinations. Laryngoscope 2022; : . PubMed PMID:36098476 .
- Dorney, I, Otteson, T, Kaelber, DC. Middle ear cholesteatoma prevalence in over 3,600 children with Turner Syndrome. Int J Pediatr Otorhinolaryngol 2022; 161 : 111289. PubMed PMID:35987131 .
- Wang, L, Volkow, ND, Davis, PB, Berger, NA, Kaelber, DC, Xu, R. COVID-19 rebound after Paxlovid treatment during Omicron BA.5 vs BA.2.12.1 subvariant predominance period. medRxiv 2022; : . PubMed PMID:35982673 PubMed Central PMC9387159.
- Sprunger, JG, Johnson, K, Lewis, D, Kaelber, DC, Winhusen, TJ. Five-year incidence of substance use and mental health diagnoses following exposure to opioids or opioids with benzodiazepines during an emergency department encounter for traumatic injury. Drug Alcohol Depend 2022; 238 : 109584. PubMed PMID:35933891 .
- Wang, L, Davis, PB, Volkow, ND, Berger, NA, Kaelber, DC, Xu, R. Association of COVID-19 with New-Onset Alzheimer's Disease. J Alzheimers Dis 2022; 89 (2): 411-414. PubMed PMID:35912749 .
- Wang, L, Berger, NA, Davis, PB, Kaelber, DC, Volkow, ND, Xu, R. COVID-19 rebound after Paxlovid and Molnupiravir during January-June 2022. medRxiv 2022; : . PubMed PMID:35794889 PubMed Central PMC9258292.
- Wang, L, Davis, PB, Kaelber, DC, Xu, R. COVID-19 breakthrough infections and hospitalizations among vaccinated patients with dementia in the United States between December 2020 and August 2021. Alzheimers Dement 2022; : . PubMed PMID:35417628 PubMed Central PMC9073984.
- Wang, W, Kaelber, DC, Xu, R, Berger, NA. Breakthrough SARS-CoV-2 Infections, Hospitalizations, and Mortality in Vaccinated Patients With Cancer in the US Between December 2020 and November 2021. JAMA Oncol 2022; 8 (7): 1027-1034. PubMed PMID:35394485 PubMed Central PMC9305383.