Dr. Kaelber is a practicing internist, pediatrician, Vice-President of Health Informatics, and Chief Medical Informatics Officer at the MetroHealth System. Dr. Kaelber is also Professor in the CWRU Department of Internal Medicine with a secondary appointment in the Departments of Pediatrics and Epidemiology and Biostatistics. MetroHealth is an integrated health system and a primary teaching site for Case Western Reserve University (CWRU). Since the late 1990s, MetroHealth has been at the forefront in adopting electronic health records to advance high quality clinical care in the Cleveland area. Under Dr. Kaelber's leadership, MetroHealth implemented Care Everywhere, a health information exchange program that enables MetroHealth to share patient information with other healthcare systems in the United States. And, in 2011, Dr. Kaelber was instrumental in the development and launch of MyChart, the personal care health record complement of MetroHealth's EHR (Epic). Dr. Kaelber's research interests are rooted in pediatric populations where he has used EHR data to identify previously under-diagnosed hypertension patients and to monitor obesity trends over time. This work earned Dr. Kaelber recognition by the American Heart Association as one of the top ten breakthroughs in cardiovascular and stroke medicine in 2007. More broadly, Dr. Kaelber's research interests span EHRs, clinical decision support, use of EHRs in chronic disease detection and management, personal health records, and medical informatics.
- Littenberg, B, Clifton, J, Crocker, AM, Baldwin, LM, Bonnell, LN, Breshears, RE, Callas, P, Chakravarti, P, Clark/Keefe, K, Cohen, DJ et al.. A Cluster Randomized Trial of Primary Care Practice Redesign to Integrate Behavioral Health for Those Who Need It Most: Patients With Multiple Chronic Conditions. Ann Fam Med 2023; 21 (6): 483-495. PubMed PMID:38012036 .
- Ishmael, L, Apter, A, Busse, PJ, Calderon-Candelario, R, Carroll, JK, Casale, T, Celedón, JC, Cohen, R, Coyne-Beasley, T, Cui, J et al.. Asthma Morbidity Measures Across Black Ethnic Subgroups. J Allergy Clin Immunol 2023; : . PubMed PMID:38000696 .
- Gorenflo, MP, Davis, PB, Kaelber, DC, Xu, R. Ischemic stroke after COVID-19 bivalent vaccine administration in patients aged 65 years and older in the United States. NPJ Vaccines 2023; 8 (1): 180. PubMed PMID:37996515 PubMed Central PMC10667491.
- Ali, M, Phillips, L, Kaelber, DC, Bukulmez, H. Characteristics of pediatric COVID-19 infections and the impact of influenza and COVID-19 vaccinations during the first two years of the pandemic. Front Pediatr 2023; 11 : 1046680. PubMed PMID:37900675 PubMed Central PMC10600516.
- You, JG, Samal, L, Leung, T, Dharod, A, Zhang, MH, Kaelber, DC, Mishuris, RG. A Call to Support Informatics Curricula in US-Based Residency Education. Appl Clin Inform 2023; : . PubMed PMID:37879358 .
- Wang, L, Berger, N, Davis, PB, Kaelber, DC, Volkow, N, Xu, R. Time trend and seasonality in medically attended respiratory syncytial virus (RSV) infections in US children aged 0-5 years, January 2010-January 2023. Fam Med Community Health 2023; 11 (4): . PubMed PMID:37844966 PubMed Central PMC10582996.
- Wang, L, Davis, PB, Berger, N, Kaelber, DC, Volkow, N, Xu, R. Association of COVID-19 with respiratory syncytial virus (RSV) infections in children aged 0-5 years in the USA in 2022: a multicentre retrospective cohort study. Fam Med Community Health 2023; 11 (4): . PubMed PMID:37832975 PubMed Central PMC10582888.
- Terebuh, P, Olaker, VR, Kendall, EK, Kaelber, DC, Xu, R, Davis, PB. Liver abnormalities following SARS-CoV-2 infection in children under 10 years of age. medRxiv 2023; : . PubMed PMID:37790424 PubMed Central PMC10543044.
- Gao, Z, Winhusen, TJ, Gorenflo, M, Ghitza, UE, Nunes, E, Saxon, AJ, Korthuis, T, Brady, K, Luo, SX, Davis, PB et al.. Potential effect of antidepressants on remission from cocaine use disorder - A nationwide matched retrospective cohort study. Drug Alcohol Depend 2023; 251 : 110958. PubMed PMID:37703770 PubMed Central PMC10556849.
- Bobak, L, Dorney, I, Lavu, MS, Mistovich, RJ, Kaelber, DC. Increased risk of osteomyelitis and septic arthritis in osteogenesis imperfecta. J Pediatr Orthop B 2023; : . PubMed PMID:37669133 .