Dr. Kaelber is a practicing internist, pediatrician, Vice-President of Health Informatics, and Chief Medical Informatics Officer at the MetroHealth System. Dr. Kaelber is also Professor in the CWRU Department of Internal Medicine with a secondary appointment in the Departments of Pediatrics and Epidemiology and Biostatistics. MetroHealth is an integrated health system and a primary teaching site for Case Western Reserve University (CWRU). Since the late 1990s, MetroHealth has been at the forefront in adopting electronic health records to advance high quality clinical care in the Cleveland area. Under Dr. Kaelber's leadership, MetroHealth implemented Care Everywhere, a health information exchange program that enables MetroHealth to share patient information with other healthcare systems in the United States. And, in 2011, Dr. Kaelber was instrumental in the development and launch of MyChart, the personal care health record complement of MetroHealth's EHR (Epic). Dr. Kaelber's research interests are rooted in pediatric populations where he has used EHR data to identify previously under-diagnosed hypertension patients and to monitor obesity trends over time. This work earned Dr. Kaelber recognition by the American Heart Association as one of the top ten breakthroughs in cardiovascular and stroke medicine in 2007. More broadly, Dr. Kaelber's research interests span EHRs, clinical decision support, use of EHRs in chronic disease detection and management, personal health records, and medical informatics.
- Wang, L, Volkow, ND, Berger, NA, Davis, PB, Kaelber, DC, Xu, R. Association of COVID-19 with endocarditis in patients with cocaine or opioid use disorders in the US. Mol Psychiatry 2022; : . PubMed PMID:36510003 .
- Gorenflo, MP, Davis, PB, Kendall, EK, Olaker, VR, Kaelber, DC, Xu, R. Association of Aspirin Use with Reduced Risk of Developing Alzheimer's Disease in Elderly Ischemic Stroke Patients: A Retrospective Cohort Study. J Alzheimers Dis 2023; 91 (2): 697-704. PubMed PMID:36502331 .
- Wang, L, Davis, PB, Berger, NA, Kaelber, DC, Volkow, ND, Xu, R. Disruption in seasonality, patient characteristics and disparities of respiratory syncytial virus infection among young children in the US during and before the COVID-19 pandemic: 2010-2022. medRxiv 2022; : . PubMed PMID:36482981 PubMed Central PMC9727767.
- Khan, MTF, Lewis, D, Kaelber, DC, Winhusen, TJ. Health outcomes associated with patterns of substance use disorders among patients with type 2 diabetes and hypertension: Electronic health record findings. Prim Care Diabetes 2022; : . PubMed PMID:36437216 .
- Birabaharan, M, Hill, E, Begur, M, Kaelber, DC, Martin, TC, Mehta, SR. Cardiovascular outcomes after tixagevimab and cilgavimab use for pre-exposure prophylaxis against COVID-19: a population-based propensity-matched cohort study. Clin Infect Dis 2022; : . PubMed PMID:36380460 .
- Dorney, I, Otteson, T, Kaelber, DC. Epidemiology of Eustachian tube dysfunction and related otologic diagnoses among children with achondroplasia. Int J Pediatr Otorhinolaryngol 2022; 163 : 111339. PubMed PMID:36257169 .
- Wang, L, Xu, R, Kaelber, DC, Berger, NA. Time Trend and Association of Early-Onset Colorectal Cancer with Diverticular Disease in the United States: 2010-2021. Cancers (Basel) 2022; 14 (19): . PubMed PMID:36230874 PubMed Central PMC9563394.
- Kendall, EK, Olaker, VR, Kaelber, DC, Xu, R, Davis, PB. Association of SARS-CoV-2 Infection With New-Onset Type 1 Diabetes Among Pediatric Patients From 2020 to 2021. JAMA Netw Open 2022; 5 (9): e2233014. PubMed PMID:36149658 PubMed Central PMC9508649.
- Kim, EG, Kaelber, DC. Phenotypic prevalence of obesity and metabolic syndrome among an underdiagnosed and underscreened population of over 50 million children and adults. Front Genet 2022; 13 : 961116. PubMed PMID:36147487 PubMed Central PMC9485995.
- Dorney, I, Bobak, L, Otteson, T, Kaelber, DC. Prevalence of New-Onset Tinnitus after COVID-19 Vaccination with Comparison to Other Vaccinations. Laryngoscope 2022; : . PubMed PMID:36098476 PubMed Central PMC9539087.