Dr. Perera is an Associate Professor in the Department of Pharmacology and Center for Pharmacogenomics at Northwestern University's Feinberg School of Medicine. With expertise in pharmacokinetics, clinical pharmacology and human genetics, Dr. Perera focuses her research interests on pharmacogenomics in minority populations. Examples of her work include identifying common genetic variants associated with warfarin dose and identifying genomic risk factors for venous thromboembolism, both in African Americans. Dr. Perera anticipates that results from these and other multidisciplinary studies will allow the development of an economically sustainable program in clinical pharmacogenetics, including a consult service. Overall, Dr. Perera's goal is to bring meaningful translation of pharmacogenetics research findings into clinical care, a goal very much consistent with precision medicine.
- Zhong, Y, De, T, Mishra, M, Avitia, J, Alarcon, C, Perera, MA. Leveraging drug perturbation to reveal genetic regulators of hepatic gene expression in African Americans. Am J Hum Genet 2023; 110 (1): 58-70. PubMed PMID:36608685 .
- Yang, G, Alarcon, C, Friedman, P, Gong, L, Klein, T, O'Brien, T, Nutescu, EA, Tuck, M, Meltzer, D, Perera, MA et al.. The Role of Global and Local Ancestry on Clopidogrel Response in African Americans. Pac Symp Biocomput 2023; 28 : 221-232. PubMed PMID:36540979 PubMed Central PMC9782753.
- Zhang, H, Alarcon, C, Cavallari, LH, Nutescu, E, Carvill, GL, Perera, MA, Hernandez, W. Genomewide Association Study Identifies Copy Number Variants Associated with Warfarin Dose Response and Risk of Venous Thromboembolism in African Americans. Clin Pharmacol Ther 2022; : . PubMed PMID:36507737 .
- Yang, G, Mishra, M, Perera, MA. Multi-Omics Studies in Historically Excluded Populations: The Road to Equity. Clin Pharmacol Ther 2022; : . PubMed PMID:36495075 .
- Steiner, HE, Carrion, KC, Giles, JB, Lima, AR, Yee, K, Sun, X, Cavallari, LH, Perera, MA, Duconge, J, Karnes, JH et al.. Local Ancestry-Informed Candidate Pathway Analysis of Warfarin Stable Dose in Latino Populations. Clin Pharmacol Ther 2022; : . PubMed PMID:36321873 .
- Lindley, KJ, Limdi, NA, Cavallari, LH, Perera, MA, Lenzini, P, Johnson, JA, Wu, AHB, Ridker, PM, King, CR, Eby, CS et al.. Warfarin Dosing in Patients With CYP2C9*5 Variant Alleles. Clin Pharmacol Ther 2022; 111 (4): 950-955. PubMed PMID:35108398 .
- Saulsberry, L, Danahey, K, Middlestadt, M, O'Leary, KJ, Nutescu, EA, Chen, T, Lee, JC, Ruhnke, GW, George, D, House, L et al.. Applicability of Pharmacogenomically Guided Medication Treatment during Hospitalization of At-Risk Minority Patients. J Pers Med 2021; 11 (12): . PubMed PMID:34945816 PubMed Central PMC8709436.
- Perera, DDBD, Perera, KML, Peiris, DC. A Novel In Silico Benchmarked Pipeline Capable of Complete Protein Analysis: A Possible Tool for Potential Drug Discovery. Biology (Basel) 2021; 10 (11): . PubMed PMID:34827106 PubMed Central PMC8615085.
- De, T, Zhang, H, Alarcon, C, Lec, B, Avitia, J, Smithberger, E, Chen, C, Horvath, M, Kwan, S, Young, M et al.. Genetic association of primary nonresponse to anti-TNFα therapy in patients with inflammatory bowel disease. Pharmacogenet Genomics 2022; 32 (1): 1-9. PubMed PMID:34380996 PubMed Central PMC8578201.
- Garofano, K, Park, CS, Alarcon, C, Avitia, J, Barbour, A, Diemert, D, Fraser, CM, Friedman, PN, Horvath, A, Rashid, K et al.. Differences in the Platelet mRNA Landscape Portend Racial Disparities in Platelet Function and Suggest Novel Therapeutic Targets. Clin Pharmacol Ther 2021; 110 (3): 702-713. PubMed PMID:34255863 PubMed Central PMC9724147.