Dr. Perera is an Associate Professor in the Department of Pharmacology and Center for Pharmacogenomics at Northwestern University's Feinberg School of Medicine. With expertise in pharmacokinetics, clinical pharmacology and human genetics, Dr. Perera focuses her research interests on pharmacogenomics in minority populations. Examples of her work include identifying common genetic variants associated with warfarin dose and identifying genomic risk factors for venous thromboembolism, both in African Americans. Dr. Perera anticipates that results from these and other multidisciplinary studies will allow the development of an economically sustainable program in clinical pharmacogenetics, including a consult service. Overall, Dr. Perera's goal is to bring meaningful translation of pharmacogenetics research findings into clinical care, a goal very much consistent with precision medicine.
- Lindley, KJ, Limdi, NA, Cavallari, LH, Perera, MA, Lenzini, P, Johnson, JA, Wu, AHB, Ridker, PM, King, CR, Eby, CS et al.. Warfarin Dosing in Patients With CYP2C9*5 Variant Alleles. Clin Pharmacol Ther 2022; 111 (4): 950-955. PubMed PMID:35108398 .
- Saulsberry, L, Danahey, K, Middlestadt, M, O'Leary, KJ, Nutescu, EA, Chen, T, Lee, JC, Ruhnke, GW, George, D, House, L et al.. Applicability of Pharmacogenomically Guided Medication Treatment during Hospitalization of At-Risk Minority Patients. J Pers Med 2021; 11 (12): . PubMed PMID:34945816 PubMed Central PMC8709436.
- Perera, DDBD, Perera, KML, Peiris, DC. A Novel In Silico Benchmarked Pipeline Capable of Complete Protein Analysis: A Possible Tool for Potential Drug Discovery. Biology (Basel) 2021; 10 (11): . PubMed PMID:34827106 PubMed Central PMC8615085.
- De, T, Zhang, H, Alarcon, C, Lec, B, Avitia, J, Smithberger, E, Chen, C, Horvath, M, Kwan, S, Young, M et al.. Genetic association of primary nonresponse to anti-TNFα therapy in patients with inflammatory bowel disease. Pharmacogenet Genomics 2022; 32 (1): 1-9. PubMed PMID:34380996 PubMed Central PMC8578201.
- Garofano, K, Park, CS, Alarcon, C, Avitia, J, Barbour, A, Diemert, D, Fraser, CM, Friedman, PN, Horvath, A, Rashid, K et al.. Differences in the Platelet mRNA Landscape Portend Racial Disparities in Platelet Function and Suggest Novel Therapeutic Targets. Clin Pharmacol Ther 2021; 110 (3): 702-713. PubMed PMID:34255863 .
- COVID-19 Host Genetics Initiative. Mapping the human genetic architecture of COVID-19. Nature 2021; 600 (7889): 472-477. PubMed PMID:34237774 PubMed Central PMC8674144.
- Singh, A, Zhong, Y, Nahlawi, L, Park, CS, De, T, Alarcon, C, Perera, MA. Incorporation of DNA methylation into eQTL mapping in African Americans. Pac Symp Biocomput 2021; 26 : 244-255. PubMed PMID:33691021 PubMed Central PMC7958994.
- Zhong, Y, De, T, Alarcon, C, Park, CS, Lec, B, Perera, MA. Discovery of novel hepatocyte eQTLs in African Americans. PLoS Genet 2020; 16 (4): e1008662. PubMed PMID:32310939 PubMed Central PMC7192504.
- Agrawal, S, Heiss, MS, Fenter, RB, Abramova, TV, Perera, MA, Pacheco, JA, Smith, ME, Rasmussen-Torvik, LJ, George, AL Jr. Impact of CYP2C9-Interacting Drugs on Warfarin Pharmacogenomics. Clin Transl Sci 2020; 13 (5): 941-949. PubMed PMID:32270628 PubMed Central PMC7485961.
- Nooruddin, M, Scherr, C, Friedman, P, Subrahmanyam, R, Banagan, J, Moreno, D, Sathyanarayanan, M, Nutescu, E, Jeyaram, T, Harris, M et al.. Why African Americans say "No": A Study of Pharmacogenomic Research Participation. Ethn Dis 2020; 30 (Suppl 1): 159-166. PubMed PMID:32269457 PubMed Central PMC7138442.