Dr. Aaron Goldenberg leads the Ethics Core for the Institute for Computational Biology and is an Associate Professor in the Department of Bioethics at CWRU School of Medicine. He is also the Director of Research for the Department and the Associate Director of the Center for Genetic Research Ethics and Law, a NIH Center of Excellence in Ethical, Legal, and Social Implications Research for the National Human Genome Research Institute. He earned his PhD in Bioethics at CWRU. Since joining the faculty at CWRU, Dr. Goldenberg’s work has focused on the ethical, legal, and social implications of genetics and genomics in clinical and public health settings. His research program has been grounded by a number of major project areas, including: 1) ethical implications of expanding newborn screening programs; 2) storage and use of perinatal and pediatric biological specimens for future research; 3) implications of genetics and gene-environment interactions for racial/ethnic minorities and other communities experiencing health disparities. Dr. Goldenberg is currently the Co-PI of a project funded by the Health Resources and Services Administration (HRSA) to explore the ethical and programmatic challenges of integrating genomic technology into Newborn Screening Programs, and the Principal Investigator on a project funded by the NIH National Human Genome Research Institute to examine parental attitudes regarding the research use of biospecimens collected from newborns. Dr. Goldenberg is also leading a project to assess how genomic advances may impact medically-underserved communities, and how clinicians and public health agencies could better assess biological and social determinants to account for gene-environment interactions. In addition to these scholarly initiatives, Dr. Goldenberg is Director for Ethics, Policy and Practice for the National Newborn Screening Clearinghouse, also known as Baby’s First Test. He is a member of the Ethics and Legal Workgroup for the Newborn Screening Translational Research Network and the Legal and Legislative Workgroup for the American Public Health Laboratory Association. He is a member of the Pediatric Task Team for the Global Alliance for Genomics and Health.
- Gaviglio, AM, Skinner, MW, Lou, LJ, Finkel, RS, Augustine, EF, Goldenberg, AJ. Gene-targeted therapies: Towards equitable development, diagnosis, and access. Am J Med Genet C Semin Med Genet 2023; : . PubMed PMID:36688577 .
- Vockley, J, Defay, T, Goldenberg, AJ, Gaviglio, AM. Scaling genetic resources: New paradigms for diagnosis and treatment of rare genetic disease. Am J Med Genet C Semin Med Genet 2022; : . PubMed PMID:36448938 .
- Hubbel, A, Hogan, E, Matthews, A, Goldenberg, A. North American genetic counselors' approach to collecting and using ancestry in clinical practice. J Genet Couns 2022; : . PubMed PMID:36445952 .
- Boychuk, NA, Mulrooney, NS, Kelly, NR, Goldenberg, AJ, Silver, EJ, Wasserstein, MP. Parental Depression and Anxiety Associated with Newborn Bloodspot Screening for Rare and Variable-Onset Disorders. Int J Neonatal Screen 2022; 8 (4): . PubMed PMID:36412585 PubMed Central PMC9680490.
- Hyun, I, Scharf-Deering, JC, Sullivan, S, Aach, JD, Arlotta, P, Baum, ML, Church, GM, Goldenberg, A, Greely, HT, Khoshakhlagh, P et al.. How collaboration between bioethicists and neuroscientists can advance research. Nat Neurosci 2022; 25 (11): 1399-1401. PubMed PMID:36258039 .
- Lemke, AA, Esplin, ED, Goldenberg, AJ, Gonzaga-Jauregui, C, Hanchard, NA, Harris-Wai, J, Ideozu, JE, Isasi, R, Landstrom, AP, Prince, AER et al.. Addressing underrepresentation in genomics research through community engagement. Am J Hum Genet 2022; 109 (9): 1563-1571. PubMed PMID:36055208 PubMed Central PMC9502069.
- Brower, A, Chan, K, Williams, M, Berry, S, Currier, R, Rinaldo, P, Caggana, M, Gaviglio, A, Wilcox, W, Steiner, R et al.. Population-Based Screening of Newborns: Findings From the NBS Expansion Study (Part One). Front Genet 2022; 13 : 867337. PubMed PMID:35938011 PubMed Central PMC9354846.
- Halley, MC, Smith, HS, Ashley, EA, Goldenberg, AJ, Tabor, HK. A call for an integrated approach to improve efficiency, equity and sustainability in rare disease research in the United States. Nat Genet 2022; 54 (3): 219-222. PubMed PMID:35256804 PubMed Central PMC9016354.
- Goldenberg, AJ, Ponsaran, R, Gaviglio, A, Simancek, D, Tarini, BA. Genomics and Newborn Screening: Perspectives of Public Health Programs. Int J Neonatal Screen 2022; 8 (1): . PubMed PMID:35225933 PubMed Central PMC8883997.
- Page, A, Goldenberg, A, Matthews, AL. Lived experiences of individuals with cystic fibrosis on CFTR-modulators. BMC Pulm Med 2022; 22 (1): 42. PubMed PMID:35062937 PubMed Central PMC8781590.