Farren Briggs is Assistant Professor in the Department Population and Quantitative Health Sciences at Case Western Reserve University in Cleveland, OH. Farren received his PhD in Epidemiology with an area of specialization in genetic epidemiology at the University of California Berkeley. Farren's academic training focused on characterizing the influence of genetic and non-genetic (primarily modifiable) factors on susceptibility and disease manifestation of multiple sclerosis (MS), and his current research interests span understanding the etiology and pathology of MS from the micro- to the macro-level. Farren recently won the Best Platform in MS Research at the 2018 Consortium of Multiple Sclerosis Centers Annual Meeting for his work on obesity and its impact on MS clinical expression. As PI of the Neuroimmunological Disorders Gene-Environment (NDGE) Epidemiology Lab, Farren also conducts research in other neurological and autoimmune diseases, such as Parkinson’s Disease, stroke, neuromyelitis optica, and transverse myelitis. Beyond research, Farren is interested and active in community engagement; promoting diversity in Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math (STEM); and advocacy. He is a frequent contributor to the Accelerated Cure Project for Multiple Sclerosis newsletter, scientific speaker to promote STEM training among underrepresented groups, and a guest on podcasts such as RealTalk MS.
- O'Kula, SS, Briggs, FBS, Brownrigg, B, Sarna, K, Rosales, O, Shegog, R, Fraser, RT, Johnson, EK, Quarells, RC, Friedman, D et al.. Depression and suicidality among Hispanics with epilepsy: Findings from the Managing Epilepsy Well (MEW) Network integrated database. Epilepsy Behav 2021; 125 : 108388. PubMed PMID:34798558 .
- Briggs, FBS, Mateen, FJ, Schmidt, H, Currie, KM, Siefers, HM, Crouthamel, S, Bebo, BF, Fiol, J, Racke, MK, O'Connor, KC et al.. COVID-19 Vaccination Reactogenicity in Persons With Multiple Sclerosis. Neurol Neuroimmunol Neuroinflamm 2022; 9 (1): . PubMed PMID:34753828 PubMed Central PMC8579248.
- Misicka, E, Davis, MF, Kim, W, Brugger, SW, Beales, J, Loomis, S, Bronson, PG, Briggs, FB. A higher burden of multiple sclerosis genetic risk confers an earlier onset. Mult Scler 2021; : 13524585211053155. PubMed PMID:34709090 .
- Sajatovic, M, Dols, A, Rej, S, Almeida, OP, Beunders, AJM, Blumberg, HP, Briggs, FBS, Forester, BP, Patrick, RE, Forlenza, OV et al.. Bipolar symptoms, somatic burden, and functioning in older-age bipolar disorder: Analyses from the Global Aging & Geriatric Experiments in Bipolar Disorder Database project. Bipolar Disord 2021; : . PubMed PMID:34314549 .
- Sorensen, A, Conway, DS, Briggs, FBS. Characterizing relapsing remitting multiple sclerosis patients burdened with hypertension, hyperlipidemia, and asthma. Mult Scler Relat Disord 2021; 53 : 103040. PubMed PMID:34058603 .
- Miller, JM, Beales, JT, Montierth, MD, Briggs, FB, Frodsham, SF, Davis, MF. The Impact of Multiple Sclerosis Disease Status and Subtype on Hematological Profile. Int J Environ Res Public Health 2021; 18 (6): . PubMed PMID:33807004 PubMed Central PMC8004915.
- Briggs, FBS, Sept, C. Mining Complex Genetic Patterns Conferring Multiple Sclerosis Risk. Int J Environ Res Public Health 2021; 18 (5): . PubMed PMID:33802599 PubMed Central PMC7967327.
- Briggs, FBS, Conway, DS, De Nadai, AS, Ontaneda, D, Gunzler, DD. Integrating patient-reported outcomes and quantitative timed tasks to identify relapsing remitting multiple sclerosis patient subgroups: a latent profile analysis. Mult Scler Relat Disord 2021; 51 : 102912. PubMed PMID:33773274 .
- Briggs, FB, Krill, D, Hill, E, Conway, DS. Age of hypertension onset in multiple sclerosis patients. Mult Scler 2021; 27 (13): 2108-2111. PubMed PMID:33733922 .
- Briggs, FBS, Hill, E, Abboud, H. The prevalence of hypertension in multiple sclerosis based on 37 million electronic health records from the United States. Eur J Neurol 2021; 28 (2): 558-566. PubMed PMID:32981133 .