Farren Briggs is Assistant Professor in the Department Population and Quantitative Health Sciences at Case Western Reserve University in Cleveland, OH. Farren received his PhD in Epidemiology with an area of specialization in genetic epidemiology at the University of California Berkeley. Farren's academic training focused on characterizing the influence of genetic and non-genetic (primarily modifiable) factors on susceptibility and disease manifestation of multiple sclerosis (MS), and his current research interests span understanding the etiology and pathology of MS from the micro- to the macro-level. Farren recently won the Best Platform in MS Research at the 2018 Consortium of Multiple Sclerosis Centers Annual Meeting for his work on obesity and its impact on MS clinical expression. As PI of the Neuroimmunological Disorders Gene-Environment (NDGE) Epidemiology Lab, Farren also conducts research in other neurological and autoimmune diseases, such as Parkinson’s Disease, stroke, neuromyelitis optica, and transverse myelitis. Beyond research, Farren is interested and active in community engagement; promoting diversity in Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math (STEM); and advocacy. He is a frequent contributor to the Accelerated Cure Project for Multiple Sclerosis newsletter, scientific speaker to promote STEM training among underrepresented groups, and a guest on podcasts such as RealTalk MS.
- Tyszka, EE, Bozinov, N, Briggs, FBS. Characterizing Relationships Between Cognitive, Mental, and Physical Health and Physical Activity Levels in Persons With Multiple Sclerosis. Int J MS Care ; 24 (5): 242-249. PubMed PMID:36090238 PubMed Central PMC9461722.
- Gunzler, DD, Gunzler, SA, Briggs, FBS. Heterogeneous pain trajectories in persons with Parkinson's disease. Parkinsonism Relat Disord 2022; 102 : 42-50. PubMed PMID:35933822 .
- Forlenza, OV, Hajek, T, Almeida, OP, Beunders, AJM, Blumberg, HP, Briggs, FBS, De-Paula, VJR, Dols, A, Eyler, LT, Forester, BP et al.. Demographic and clinical characteristics of lithium-treated older adults with bipolar disorder. Acta Psychiatr Scand 2022; : . PubMed PMID:35837985 .
- Conway, DS, Briggs, FB, Mowry, EM, Fitzgerald, KC, Hersh, CM. Racial disparities in hypertension management among multiple sclerosis patients. Mult Scler Relat Disord 2022; 64 : 103972. PubMed PMID:35728435 PubMed Central PMC9308758.
- Chen, P, Eyler, LT, Gildengers, A, Beunders, AJ, Blumberg, HP, Briggs, FB, Dols, A, Rej, S, Forlenza, OV, Jimenez, E et al.. Demographic and Clinical Characteristics of Antipsychotic Drug-Treated Older Adults with Bipolar Disorder from the Global Aging & Geriatric Experiments in Bipolar Disorder Database (GAGE-BD). Psychopharmacol Bull 2022; 52 (2): 8-33. PubMed PMID:35721813 PubMed Central PMC9172555.
- Eyler, LT, Briggs, FBS, Dols, A, Rej, S, Almeida, OP, Beunders, AJM, Blumberg, HP, Forester, BP, Patrick, RE, Forlenza, OV et al.. Symptom Severity Mixity in Older-Age Bipolar Disorder: Analyses From the Global Aging and Geriatric Experiments in Bipolar Disorder Database (GAGE-BD). Am J Geriatr Psychiatry 2022; 30 (10): 1096-1107. PubMed PMID:35637088 .
- Almeida, OP, Dols, A, Blanken, MAJT, Rej, S, Blumberg, HP, Villa, L, Forester, BP, Forlenza, OV, Gildengers, A, Vieta, E et al.. Physical Health Burden Among Older Men and Women With Bipolar Disorder: Results From the Gage-Bd Collaboration. Am J Geriatr Psychiatry 2022; 30 (6): 727-732. PubMed PMID:34980553 .
- Kottapalli, I, Needham, K, Colón-Zimmermann, K, Richter, N, Schrag, K, Ryan, ER, Storer, N, Sarna, K, Briggs, FBS, Rentsch, J et al.. A community-targeted implementation of self-management for people with epilepsy and a history of negative health events (SMART): A research and community partnership to reduce epilepsy burden. Epilepsy Behav 2022; 126 : 108440. PubMed PMID:34920349 .
- O'Kula, SS, Briggs, FBS, Brownrigg, B, Sarna, K, Rosales, O, Shegog, R, Fraser, RT, Johnson, EK, Quarells, RC, Friedman, D et al.. Depression and suicidality among Hispanics with epilepsy: Findings from the Managing Epilepsy Well (MEW) Network integrated database. Epilepsy Behav 2021; 125 : 108388. PubMed PMID:34798558 .
- Briggs, FBS, Mateen, FJ, Schmidt, H, Currie, KM, Siefers, HM, Crouthamel, S, Bebo, BF, Fiol, J, Racke, MK, O'Connor, KC et al.. COVID-19 Vaccination Reactogenicity in Persons With Multiple Sclerosis. Neurol Neuroimmunol Neuroinflamm 2022; 9 (1): . PubMed PMID:34753828 PubMed Central PMC8579248.