Dr. Sedor is Professor of Physiology and Biophysics and Director of the Case Center for the Study of Kidney Biology and Disease at Case Western Reserve University; Professor of Molecular Medicine at Cleveland Clinic Lerner College of Medicine; and Ray W. Gifford, M.D. Endowed Chair in Kidney Research at the Glickman Urology & Kidney Institute. Dr. Sedor is board certified in internal medicine and nephrology and is a practicing physician scientist as Staff of the Department of Nephrology and Hypertension at Cleveland Clinic. Dr. Sedor's research interests focus on progressive kidney disease mechanisms, and his research team's goals are to define clinical, cellular, and genetic bases of kidney disease to identify new therapies and diagnostic tests. Dr. Sedor is a leader and active member of several research consortia, include the Nephrotic Syndrome Study Network (NEPTUNE) and Cure Glomerulonephropathy (CureGN). Dr. Sedor is also a co-Principal Investigator of the Cleveland ascertainment site for the NIDDK-supported Kidney Precision Medicine Project (KPMP), a national collaborative effort that aims to create a kidney tissue atlas, define disease subgroups, and identify critical cells, pathways, and targets for novel therapies. Dr. Sedor's current investigator-initiated projects focus on kidney disease attributable to APOL1 renal risk variants, the major genetic contributors to observed racial disparities in chronic kidney disease, and use of electronic health records to identify diabetic patients with renal complications.
- Cholin, LK, Schold, JD, Arrigain, S, Poggio, ED, Sedor, JR, O'Toole, JF, Augustine, JJ, Wee, AC, Huml, AM. Characteristics of Potential and Actual Living Kidney Donors: A Single-center Experience. Transplantation 2022; : . PubMed PMID:36476994 .
- Mariani, LH, Eddy, S, AlAkwaa, FM, McCown, PJ, Harder, JL, Nair, V, Eichinger, F, Martini, S, Ademola, AD, Boima, V et al.. Precision nephrology identified tumor necrosis factor activation variability in minimal change disease and focal segmental glomerulosclerosis. Kidney Int 2022; : . PubMed PMID:36442540 .
- Hong, C, Eichinger, F, Atta, MG, Estrella, MM, Fine, DM, Ross, MJ, Wyatt, C, Hwang, TH, Kretzler, M, Sedor, JR et al.. Viral associations with kidney disease diagnosis and altered kidney metatranscriptome by kidney function. Kidney Int 2023; 103 (1): 218-222. PubMed PMID:36356649 PubMed Central PMC9822862.
- Liu, J, Nair, V, Zhao, YY, Chang, DY, Limonte, C, Bansal, N, Fermin, D, Eichinger, F, Tanner, EC, Bellovich, KA et al.. Multi-Scalar Data Integration Links Glomerular Angiopoietin-Tie Signaling Pathway Activation With Progression of Diabetic Kidney Disease. Diabetes 2022; 71 (12): 2664-2676. PubMed PMID:36331122 PubMed Central PMC9750948.
- Liu, S, Bush, WS, Miskimen, K, Gonzalez-Vicente, A, Bailey, JNC, Konidari, I, McCauley, JL, Sedor, JR, O'Toole, JF, Crawford, DC et al.. T-cell receptor diversity in minimal change disease in the NEPTUNE study. Pediatr Nephrol 2022; : . PubMed PMID:35943576 .
- Madhavan, SM, Konieczkowski, M, Bruggeman, LA, DeWalt, M, Nguyen, JK, O'Toole, JF, Sedor, JR. Essential role of Wtip in mouse development and maintenance of the glomerular filtration barrier. Am J Physiol Renal Physiol 2022; 323 (3): F272-F287. PubMed PMID:35862649 PubMed Central PMC9394782.
- KDIGO Conference Participants. Genetics in chronic kidney disease: conclusions from a Kidney Disease: Improving Global Outcomes (KDIGO) Controversies Conference. Kidney Int 2022; 101 (6): 1126-1141. PubMed PMID:35460632 .
- Butler, CR, Appelbaum, PS, Ascani, H, Aulisio, M, Campbell, CE, de Boer, IH, Dighe, AL, Hall, DE, Himmelfarb, J, Knight, R et al.. A Participant-Centered Approach to Understanding Risks and Benefits of Participation in Research Informed by the Kidney Precision Medicine Project. Am J Kidney Dis 2022; 80 (1): 132-138. PubMed PMID:34871700 PubMed Central PMC9166631.
- Gadegbeku, CA, Sedor, JR. APOL1 Kidney Risk Variants and Acute Kidney Injury in Those with COVID-19: True Association or Red Herring? Clin J Am Soc Nephrol 2021; 16 (12): 1779-1780. PubMed PMID:36630404 PubMed Central PMC8729482.
- Kurella Tamura, M, Gaussoin, S, Pajewski, NM, Zaharchuk, G, Freedman, BI, Rapp, SR, Auchus, AP, Haley, WE, Oparil, S, Kendrick, J et al.. Kidney Disease, Hypertension Treatment, and Cerebral Perfusion and Structure. Am J Kidney Dis 2022; 79 (5): 677-687.e1. PubMed PMID:34543687 PubMed Central PMC8926938.