Dr. María Ávila-Arcos is Assistant Professor at the International Laboratory for Human Genome Research at the Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México. María earned a PhD in paleogenomics from the University of Copenhagen and trained as a post-doctoral fellow in population genomics and global health at Stanford University. María's previous work included the characterization of ancient genomes with an emphasis on the New World using emerging sequencing technologies and statistical methods. María is currently PI of the Afro-Mexico Genomics Project, a project that aims to characterize the contribution of the TransAtlantic Slave Trade to admixture observed in present-day Mexico. As part of this project, she and her research team have developed culturally-sensitive informed consent protocols and approaches to returning genetic ancestry results to participants. The Ávila-Arcos lab also has projects related to Prehispanic Mexico and Colonialism's impact on genetic diversity over time with possible implications for contemporary disease risk and precision medicine opportunities in populations traditionally underrepresented in genomics.
- Somel, M, Altınışık, NE, Özer, F, Ávila-Arcos, MC. Collaborate equitably in ancient DNA research and beyond. Nature 2021; 600 (7887): 37. PubMed PMID:34848866 .
- Ioannidis, AG, Blanco-Portillo, J, Sandoval, K, Hagelberg, E, Barberena-Jonas, C, Hill, AVS, Rodríguez-Rodríguez, JE, Fox, K, Robson, K, Haoa-Cardinali, S et al.. Paths and timings of the peopling of Polynesia inferred from genomic networks. Nature 2021; 597 (7877): 522-526. PubMed PMID:34552258 .
- Guzmán-Solís, AA, Villa-Islas, V, Bravo-López, MJ, Sandoval-Velasco, M, Wesp, JK, Gómez-Valdés, JA, Moreno-Cabrera, ML, Meraz, A, Solís-Pichardo, G, Schaaf, P et al.. Ancient viral genomes reveal introduction of human pathogenic viruses into Mexico during the transatlantic slave trade. Elife 2021; 10 : . PubMed PMID:34350829 PubMed Central PMC8423449.
- Bravo-Lopez, M, Villa-Islas, V, Rocha Arriaga, C, Villaseñor-Altamirano, AB, Guzmán-Solís, A, Sandoval-Velasco, M, Wesp, JK, Alcantara, K, López-Corral, A, Gómez-Valdés, J et al.. Paleogenomic insights into the red complex bacteria Tannerella forsythia in Pre-Hispanic and Colonial individuals from Mexico. Philos Trans R Soc Lond B Biol Sci 2020; 375 (1812): 20190580. PubMed PMID:33012233 PubMed Central PMC7702795.
- Ioannidis, AG, Blanco-Portillo, J, Sandoval, K, Hagelberg, E, Miquel-Poblete, JF, Moreno-Mayar, JV, Rodríguez-Rodríguez, JE, Quinto-Cortés, CD, Auckland, K, Parks, T et al.. Native American gene flow into Polynesia predating Easter Island settlement. Nature 2020; 583 (7817): 572-577. PubMed PMID:32641827 .
- Dehasque, M, Ávila-Arcos, MC, Díez-Del-Molino, D, Fumagalli, M, Guschanski, K, Lorenzen, ED, Malaspinas, AS, Marques-Bonet, T, Martin, MD, Murray, GGR et al.. Inference of natural selection from ancient DNA. Evol Lett 2020; 4 (2): 94-108. PubMed PMID:32313686 PubMed Central PMC7156104.
- Ávila-Arcos, MC, McManus, KF, Sandoval, K, Rodríguez-Rodríguez, JE, Villa-Islas, V, Martin, AR, Luisi, P, Peñaloza-Espinosa, RI, Eng, C, Huntsman, S et al.. Population History and Gene Divergence in Native Mexicans Inferred from 76 Human Exomes. Mol Biol Evol 2020; 37 (4): 994-1006. PubMed PMID:31848607 PubMed Central PMC7086176.
- Cruz-Dávalos, DI, Nieves-Colón, MA, Sockell, A, Poznik, GD, Schroeder, H, Stone, AC, Bustamante, CD, Malaspinas, AS, Ávila-Arcos, MC. In-solution Y-chromosome capture-enrichment on ancient DNA libraries. BMC Genomics 2018; 19 (1): 608. PubMed PMID:30107783 PubMed Central PMC6092841.
- Fregel, R, Méndez, FL, Bokbot, Y, Martín-Socas, D, Camalich-Massieu, MD, Santana, J, Morales, J, Ávila-Arcos, MC, Underhill, PA, Shapiro, B et al.. Ancient genomes from North Africa evidence prehistoric migrations to the Maghreb from both the Levant and Europe. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 2018; 115 (26): 6774-6779. PubMed PMID:29895688 PubMed Central PMC6042094.
- de la Fuente, C, Ávila-Arcos, MC, Galimany, J, Carpenter, ML, Homburger, JR, Blanco, A, Contreras, P, Cruz Dávalos, D, Reyes, O, San Roman, M et al.. Genomic insights into the origin and diversification of late maritime hunter-gatherers from the Chilean Patagonia. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 2018; 115 (17): E4006-E4012. PubMed PMID:29632188 PubMed Central PMC5924884.
María Ávila-Arcos on Twitter
32 years ago today, 14 women, most of whom were studying engineering, were killed by an anti-feminist gun man at École Polytechnique in Montreal. I was a young graduate student studying physics at the time and I will never forget. #MontrealMassacre #NeverForget #WomenInSTEM🕯️ Retweeted by paleogenomics
‘Colonial entitlement leads to scientists sailing around the world to gather water samples, professors picking up rocks on hikes for pedagogical show and tell, and scientists crunching numbers in datasets that seem landless, so they deem no permissions necessary.’ twitter.com/natureecoevo/s… Retweeted by paleogenomics
In addition to this magnificent response to the "aDNA guidelines" by @kstsosie et al, Mehmet Somel et al. (including me) highlight yet another hole: the lack of commitment to equitable local collaborations in lower income places nature.com/articles/d4158… twitter.com/kstsosie/statu…
Response to those ancient DNA guidelines:— Krystal Tsosie (@kstsosie) December 1, 2021
aDNA expertise ≠ ethical expertise. Those benefiting from aDNA should not position themselves as arbiters of data access w/o acknowledging their COI. Look to better, more stringent (& earlier published) standards https://t.co/2YX3QJ9k6C
A new development is that baby started daycare so the cycle this time around lasted only three weeks. See you on the other side!! 👋🏾 twitter.com/paleogenomics/…
At some point the plant community will need to acknowledge how we support harassers and their institutions and attack victims and their families I'm tired of my family and I being threatened so I won't speak. I've learned the rules of the game But I hope yall are listening Retweeted by paleogenomics
Today, in light of the international day for the elimination of violence against women, I'd like to share how I continue to experience violence by the sexual harasser described in this story. He's filed a lawsuit (defamation of course) 1/2 #25Nov twitter.com/paleogenomics/…