Dr. Garrison is Assistant Professor in the Treuman Katz Center for Pediatric Bioethics at Seattle Children’s Research Institute and Department of Pediatrics at the University of Washington. She is also faculty for the Summer internship for INdigenous peoples in Genomics (SING) Workshop, a competitive yearly one-week workshop covering the uses, misuses, and limitations of genomics as a tool for indigenous peoples' communities. Dr. Garrison's research interests include ethical issues in genetics research such as informed consent, issues with privacy and confidentiality, and special issues for diverse groups with a concentration on Native American communities.
- Garrison, NA, Brothers, KB, Goldenberg, AJ, Lynch, JA. Genomic Contextualism: Shifting the Rhetoric of Genetic Exceptionalism. Am J Bioeth 2019; 19 (1): 51-63. PubMed PMID:30676903 .
- Antommaria, AHM, Brothers, KB, Myers, JA, Feygin, YB, Aufox, SA, Brilliant, MH, Conway, P, Fullerton, SM, Garrison, NA, Horowitz, CR et al.. Parents' attitudes toward consent and data sharing in biobanks: A multisite experimental survey. AJOB Empir Bioeth ; 9 (3): 128-142. PubMed PMID:30240342 PubMed Central PMC6354766.
- Hester, DM, Lang, KR, Garrison, NA, Diekema, DS. Agreed: The Harm Principle Cannot Replace the Best Interest Standard … but the Best Interest Standard Cannot Replace The Harm Principle Either. Am J Bioeth 2018; 18 (8): 38-40. PubMed PMID:30133400 .
- Claw, KG, Anderson, MZ, Begay, RL, Tsosie, KS, Fox, K, Garrison, NA, Summer internship for INdigenous peoples in Genomics (SING) Consortium. A framework for enhancing ethical genomic research with Indigenous communities. Nat Commun 2018; 9 (1): 2957. PubMed PMID:30054469 PubMed Central PMC6063854.
- Kelly-Blake, K, Garrison, NA, Fletcher, FE, Ajegba, B, Smith, N, Brafford, M, Bogdan-Lovis, E. Rationales for expanding minority physician representation in the workforce: a scoping review. Med Educ 2018; : . PubMed PMID:29932213 .
- Claw, KG, Lippert, D, Bardill, J, Cordova, A, Fox, K, Yracheta, JM, Bader, AC, Bolnick, DA, Malhi, RS, TallBear, K et al.. Chaco Canyon Dig Unearths Ethical Concerns. Hum. Biol. 2017; 89 (3): 177-180. PubMed PMID:29745246 PubMed Central PMC5951383.
- Bardill, J, Bader, AC, Garrison, NA, Bolnick, DA, Raff, JA, Walker, A, Malhi, RS, Summer internship for INdigenous peoples in Genomics (SING) Consortium. Advancing the ethics of paleogenomics. Science 2018; 360 (6387): 384-385. PubMed PMID:29700256 PubMed Central PMC6150602.
- Sabatello, M, Callier, S, Garrison, NA, Cohn, EG. Trust, Precision Medicine Research, and Equitable Participation of Underserved Populations. Am J Bioeth 2018; 18 (4): 34-36. PubMed PMID:29621444 PubMed Central PMC5890957.
- Barton, KS, Tabor, HK, Starks, H, Garrison, NA, Laurino, M, Burke, W. Pathways from autism spectrum disorder diagnosis to genetic testing. Genet. Med. 2018; 20 (7): 737-744. PubMed PMID:29048417 PubMed Central PMC5908763.
- Deverka, PA, Majumder, MA, Villanueva, AG, Anderson, M, Bakker, AC, Bardill, J, Boerwinkle, E, Bubela, T, Evans, BJ, Garrison, NA et al.. Creating a data resource: what will it take to build a medical information commons? Genome Med 2017; 9 (1): 84. PubMed PMID:28938910 PubMed Central PMC5610432.
Dr. Garrison on Twitter
Concerns about the All of Us precision medicine program in their efforts to recruit American Indian / Alaska Native / Native Hawaiian people include lack of proper consultation and engagement with tribal communities. twitter.com/KimTallBear/st…
A group in Australia used genomic analyses to identify links to tribes to repatriate Indigenous ancestors. Elders from multiple tribes were involved in the research study. Interested in seeing next steps in the repatriation process. @SINGConsortium represented! twitter.com/lizzie_wade/st…
A great first start for using genomic analyses to repatriate Indigenous ancestors in Australia. Elders from the community were involved in the research study. Interested in seeing next steps in the repatriation process. twitter.com/carlzimmer/sta…
Thanks @edyong209 for raising these issues and showcasing some of the work that Indigenous scholars and allies are doing to ensure ethical research. @SINGConsortium @SilentGenomes twitter.com/kstsosie/statu…
I have to commend @edyong209 for his excellent attention to importance of engaging Indigenous communities in #genomics. Yong continually supports the @SINGConsortium & us at @GeneticsSociety. Read latest: https://t.co/oFzdbZ0x8J w/ @KeoluFox @kstsosie Dr. Bolnick #silentgenomes— Krystal Tsosie (@kstsosie) November 8, 2018
'Genomic Research and Health Care Matters for Indigenous Canadians'. Minister Carolyn Bennett hears about Silent Genomes and other Genetic Research at the Community Genetics Research Program. #NorthernandRural #SilentGenomes pic.twitter.com/28U98PmD6l— Silent Genomes (@silentgenomes) November 2, 2018
Thanks for the feedback! If demand is high, we would love to amplify the messages and strategies shared today. We hope this conversation will help make genomics and research more equitable for all. #SilentGenomes #ASHG18 twitter.com/latifajackson/…