Dr. Garrison is Assistant Professor in the Treuman Katz Center for Pediatric Bioethics at Seattle Children’s Research Institute and Department of Pediatrics at the University of Washington. She is also faculty for the Summer internship for INdigenous peoples in Genomics (SING) Workshop, a competitive yearly one-week workshop covering the uses, misuses, and limitations of genomics as a tool for indigenous peoples' communities. Dr. Garrison's research interests include ethical issues in genetics research such as informed consent, issues with privacy and confidentiality, and special issues for diverse groups with a concentration on Native American communities.
- Fleskes, RE, Bader, AC, Tsosie, KS, Wagner, JK, Claw, KG, Garrison, NA. Ethical Guidance in Human Paleogenomics: New and Ongoing Perspectives. Annu Rev Genomics Hum Genet 2022; : . PubMed PMID:35537469 .
- Wang, T, Antonacci-Fulton, L, Howe, K, Lawson, HA, Lucas, JK, Phillippy, AM, Popejoy, AB, Asri, M, Carson, C, Chaisson, MJP et al.. The Human Pangenome Project: a global resource to map genomic diversity. Nature 2022; 604 (7906): 437-446. PubMed PMID:35444317 .
- Lewis, ACF, Molina, SJ, Appelbaum, PS, Dauda, B, Di Rienzo, A, Fuentes, A, Fullerton, SM, Garrison, NA, Ghosh, N, Hammonds, EM et al.. Getting genetic ancestry right for science and society. Science 2022; 376 (6590): 250-252. PubMed PMID:35420968 .
- Carroll, SR, Garba, I, Plevel, R, Small-Rodriguez, D, Hiratsuka, VY, Hudson, M, Garrison, NA. Using Indigenous Standards to Implement the CARE Principles: Setting Expectations through Tribal Research Codes. Front Genet 2022; 13 : 823309. PubMed PMID:35386282 PubMed Central PMC8977641.
- Claw, KG, Dundas, N, Parrish, MS, Begay, RL, Teller, TL, Garrison, NA, Sage, F. Perspectives on Genetic Research: Results From a Survey of Navajo Community Members. Front Genet 2021; 12 : 734529. PubMed PMID:34925442 PubMed Central PMC8675633.
- Tsosie, KS, Bader, AC, Fox, K, Bolnick, DA, Garrison, NA, Smith, RWA. Ancient-DNA researchers write their own rules. Nature 2021; 600 (7887): 37. PubMed PMID:34848867 .
- Carson, SL, Casillas, A, Castellon-Lopez, Y, Mansfield, LN, Morris, D, Barron, J, Ntekume, E, Landovitz, R, Vassar, SD, Norris, KC et al.. COVID-19 Vaccine Decision-making Factors in Racial and Ethnic Minority Communities in Los Angeles, California. JAMA Netw Open 2021; 4 (9): e2127582. PubMed PMID:34591103 PubMed Central PMC8485164.
- Tsosie, KS, Claw, KG, Garrison, NA. Considering "Respect for Sovereignty" Beyond the Belmont Report and the Common Rule: Ethical and Legal Implications for American Indian and Alaska Native Peoples. Am J Bioeth 2021; 21 (10): 27-30. PubMed PMID:34554064 .
- Jones, KM, Cook-Deegan, R, Rotimi, CN, Callier, SL, Bentley, AR, Stevens, H, Phillips, KA, Jansen, JP, Weyant, CF, Roberts, DE et al.. Complicated legacies: The human genome at 20. Science 2021; 371 (6529): 564-569. PubMed PMID:33542123 PubMed Central PMC8011351.
- Lynch, JA, Goldenberg, AJ, Garrison, NA, Brothers, KB. Analogies in Genomics Policymaking: Debates and Drawbacks. Am J Hum Genet 2020; 107 (5): 797-801. PubMed PMID:33157006 PubMed Central PMC7674995.
Dr. Garrison on Twitter
11/14 Science is reductive, and the simple model of continental categories has been useful. But all models have their legitimate domains of application, limitations and inherent biases. A much more complex set of models should now be the norm across a wide variety of use cases. Retweeted by Nanibaa' Garrison
Join us for the first @ClinGenResource Ancestry and Diversity Working Group #ELSIconversation series! This series seeks to broaden the scope of community engagement & ensure guideline development is informed by robust, transdisciplinary deliberations: elsihub.org/news/new-elsic… twitter.com/ELSIhub/status… Retweeted by Nanibaa' Garrison
In addition to this magnificent response to the "aDNA guidelines" by @kstsosie et al, Mehmet Somel et al. (including me) highlight yet another hole: the lack of commitment to equitable local collaborations in lower income places nature.com/articles/d4158… twitter.com/kstsosie/statu… Retweeted by Nanibaa' Garrison
The Navajo Nation placed a moratorium on genetic research studies in 2002. A “moratorium on genetic research studies conducted within the jurisdiction of the Navajo Nation until such time that a Navajo Nation Human Research Code has been amended by the Navajo Nation Council” Retweeted by Nanibaa' Garrison