Dr. Garrison is Assistant Professor in the Treuman Katz Center for Pediatric Bioethics at Seattle Children’s Research Institute and Department of Pediatrics at the University of Washington. She is also faculty for the Summer internship for INdigenous peoples in Genomics (SING) Workshop, a competitive yearly one-week workshop covering the uses, misuses, and limitations of genomics as a tool for indigenous peoples' communities. Dr. Garrison's research interests include ethical issues in genetics research such as informed consent, issues with privacy and confidentiality, and special issues for diverse groups with a concentration on Native American communities.
- Epperson, AE, Carson, SL, Garcia, AN, Casillas, A, Castellon-Lopez, Y, Brown, AF, Garrison, NA. A qualitative study of COVID-19 vaccine decision making among urban Native Americans. Vaccine X 2022; 12 : 100212. PubMed PMID:36059599 PubMed Central PMC9423870.
- Lemke, AA, Esplin, ED, Goldenberg, AJ, Gonzaga-Jauregui, C, Hanchard, NA, Harris-Wai, J, Ideozu, JE, Isasi, R, Landstrom, AP, Prince, AER et al.. Addressing underrepresentation in genomics research through community engagement. Am J Hum Genet 2022; 109 (9): 1563-1571. PubMed PMID:36055208 PubMed Central PMC9502069.
- Beans, JA, Trinidad, SB, Blacksher, E, Hiratsuka, VY, Spicer, P, Woodahl, EL, Boyer, BB, Lewis, CM Jr, Gaffney, PM, Garrison, NA et al.. Communicating Precision Medicine Research: Multidisciplinary Teams and Diverse Communities. Public Health Genomics 2022; : 1-9. PubMed PMID:35998578 .
- Appelbaum, PS, Burke, W, Parens, E, Zeevi, DA, Arbour, L, Garrison, NA, Bonham, VL, Chung, WK. Is there a way to reduce the inequity in variant interpretation on the basis of ancestry? Am J Hum Genet 2022; 109 (6): 981-988. PubMed PMID:35659933 PubMed Central PMC9247826.
- Castellon-Lopez, YM, Carson, SL, Mansfield, L, Garrison, NA, Barron, J, Morris, D, Ntekume, E, Vassar, SD, Norris, KC, Brown, AF et al.. "The System Doesn't Let Us in"-A Call for Inclusive COVID-19 Vaccine Outreach Rooted in Los Angeles Latinos' Experience of Pandemic Hardships and Inequities. Int J Environ Res Public Health 2022; 19 (10): . PubMed PMID:35627322 PubMed Central PMC9141159.
- Fleskes, RE, Bader, AC, Tsosie, KS, Wagner, JK, Claw, KG, Garrison, NA. Ethical Guidance in Human Paleogenomics: New and Ongoing Perspectives. Annu Rev Genomics Hum Genet 2022; 23 : 627-652. PubMed PMID:35537469 .
- Wang, T, Antonacci-Fulton, L, Howe, K, Lawson, HA, Lucas, JK, Phillippy, AM, Popejoy, AB, Asri, M, Carson, C, Chaisson, MJP et al.. The Human Pangenome Project: a global resource to map genomic diversity. Nature 2022; 604 (7906): 437-446. PubMed PMID:35444317 PubMed Central PMC9402379.
- Lewis, ACF, Molina, SJ, Appelbaum, PS, Dauda, B, Di Rienzo, A, Fuentes, A, Fullerton, SM, Garrison, NA, Ghosh, N, Hammonds, EM et al.. Getting genetic ancestry right for science and society. Science 2022; 376 (6590): 250-252. PubMed PMID:35420968 .
- Carroll, SR, Garba, I, Plevel, R, Small-Rodriguez, D, Hiratsuka, VY, Hudson, M, Garrison, NA. Using Indigenous Standards to Implement the CARE Principles: Setting Expectations through Tribal Research Codes. Front Genet 2022; 13 : 823309. PubMed PMID:35386282 PubMed Central PMC8977641.
- Claw, KG, Dundas, N, Parrish, MS, Begay, RL, Teller, TL, Garrison, NA, Sage, F. Perspectives on Genetic Research: Results From a Survey of Navajo Community Members. Front Genet 2021; 12 : 734529. PubMed PMID:34925442 PubMed Central PMC8675633.
Dr. Garrison on Twitter
Grateful that I could join my friends & colleagues for the Summer Institute for #INdigenous peoples in #Genomics. @SINGConsortium @drkatclaw @NanibaaGarrison @Rene_Begay @YrachetaJM @science_punx @MalhiRipan @kstsosie #SINGUSA2022 #NIH #ScientificIntegrity #TribalSovereignty Retweeted by Nanibaa' Garrison
11/14 Science is reductive, and the simple model of continental categories has been useful. But all models have their legitimate domains of application, limitations and inherent biases. A much more complex set of models should now be the norm across a wide variety of use cases. Retweeted by Nanibaa' Garrison
Join us for the first @ClinGenResource Ancestry and Diversity Working Group #ELSIconversation series! This series seeks to broaden the scope of community engagement & ensure guideline development is informed by robust, transdisciplinary deliberations: elsihub.org/news/new-elsic… twitter.com/ELSIhub/status… Retweeted by Nanibaa' Garrison
In addition to this magnificent response to the "aDNA guidelines" by @kstsosie et al, Mehmet Somel et al. (including me) highlight yet another hole: the lack of commitment to equitable local collaborations in lower income places nature.com/articles/d4158… twitter.com/kstsosie/statu… Retweeted by Nanibaa' Garrison