Dr. Garrison is Assistant Professor in the Treuman Katz Center for Pediatric Bioethics at Seattle Children’s Research Institute and Department of Pediatrics at the University of Washington. She is also faculty for the Summer internship for INdigenous peoples in Genomics (SING) Workshop, a competitive yearly one-week workshop covering the uses, misuses, and limitations of genomics as a tool for indigenous peoples' communities. Dr. Garrison's research interests include ethical issues in genetics research such as informed consent, issues with privacy and confidentiality, and special issues for diverse groups with a concentration on Native American communities.
- McGuire, AL, Majumder, MA, Villanueva, AG, Bardill, J, Bollinger, JM, Boerwinkle, E, Bubela, T, Deverka, PA, Evans, BJ, Garrison, NA et al.. Importance of Participant-Centricity and Trust for a Sustainable Medical Information Commons. J Law Med Ethics 2019; 47 (1): 12-20. PubMed PMID:30994067 .
- Bombard, Y, Brothers, KB, Fitzgerald-Butt, S, Garrison, NA, Jamal, L, James, CA, Jarvik, GP, McCormick, JB, Nelson, TN, Ormond, KE et al.. The Responsibility to Recontact Research Participants after Reinterpretation of Genetic and Genomic Research Results. Am. J. Hum. Genet. 2019; 104 (4): 578-595. PubMed PMID:30951675 PubMed Central PMC6451731.
- Garrison, NA, Hudson, M, Ballantyne, LL, Garba, I, Martinez, A, Taualii, M, Arbour, L, Caron, NR, Carroll Rainie, S. Genomic Research Through an Indigenous Lens: Understanding the Expectations. Annu Rev Genomics Hum Genet 2019; : . PubMed PMID:30892943 .
- Garrison, NA, Brothers, KB, Goldenberg, AJ, Lynch, JA. Genomic Contextualism: Shifting the Rhetoric of Genetic Exceptionalism. Am J Bioeth 2019; 19 (1): 51-63. PubMed PMID:30676903 PubMed Central PMC6397766.
- Antommaria, AHM, Brothers, KB, Myers, JA, Feygin, YB, Aufox, SA, Brilliant, MH, Conway, P, Fullerton, SM, Garrison, NA, Horowitz, CR et al.. Parents' attitudes toward consent and data sharing in biobanks: A multisite experimental survey. AJOB Empir Bioeth ; 9 (3): 128-142. PubMed PMID:30240342 PubMed Central PMC6354766.
- Hester, DM, Lang, KR, Garrison, NA, Diekema, DS. Agreed: The Harm Principle Cannot Replace the Best Interest Standard … but the Best Interest Standard Cannot Replace The Harm Principle Either. Am J Bioeth 2018; 18 (8): 38-40. PubMed PMID:30133400 .
- Claw, KG, Anderson, MZ, Begay, RL, Tsosie, KS, Fox, K, Garrison, NA, Summer internship for INdigenous peoples in Genomics (SING) Consortium. A framework for enhancing ethical genomic research with Indigenous communities. Nat Commun 2018; 9 (1): 2957. PubMed PMID:30054469 PubMed Central PMC6063854.
- Kelly-Blake, K, Garrison, NA, Fletcher, FE, Ajegba, B, Smith, N, Brafford, M, Bogdan-Lovis, E. Rationales for expanding minority physician representation in the workforce: a scoping review. Med Educ 2018; : . PubMed PMID:29932213 .
- Claw, KG, Lippert, D, Bardill, J, Cordova, A, Fox, K, Yracheta, JM, Bader, AC, Bolnick, DA, Malhi, RS, TallBear, K et al.. Chaco Canyon Dig Unearths Ethical Concerns. Hum. Biol. 2017; 89 (3): 177-180. PubMed PMID:29745246 PubMed Central PMC5951383.
- Bardill, J, Bader, AC, Garrison, NA, Bolnick, DA, Raff, JA, Walker, A, Malhi, RS, Summer internship for INdigenous peoples in Genomics (SING) Consortium. Advancing the ethics of paleogenomics. Science 2018; 360 (6387): 384-385. PubMed PMID:29700256 PubMed Central PMC6150602.
Dr. Garrison on Twitter
Concerns about the All of Us precision medicine program in their efforts to recruit American Indian / Alaska Native / Native Hawaiian people include lack of proper consultation and engagement with tribal communities. twitter.com/KimTallBear/st…
A great first start for using genomic analyses to repatriate Indigenous ancestors in Australia. Elders from the community were involved in the research study. Interested in seeing next steps in the repatriation process. twitter.com/carlzimmer/sta…
Thanks @edyong209 for raising these issues and showcasing some of the work that Indigenous scholars and allies are doing to ensure ethical research. @SINGConsortium @SilentGenomes twitter.com/kstsosie/statu…
I have to commend @edyong209 for his excellent attention to importance of engaging Indigenous communities in #genomics. Yong continually supports the @SINGConsortium & us at @GeneticsSociety. Read latest: https://t.co/oFzdbZ0x8J w/ @KeoluFox @kstsosie Dr. Bolnick #silentgenomes— Krystal Tsosie (@kstsosie) November 8, 2018
'Genomic Research and Health Care Matters for Indigenous Canadians'. Minister Carolyn Bennett hears about Silent Genomes and other Genetic Research at the Community Genetics Research Program. #NorthernandRural #SilentGenomes pic.twitter.com/28U98PmD6l— Silent Genomes (@silentgenomes) November 2, 2018