Janina M. Jeff, PhD, MS
Dr. Janina Jeff is a post-doctoral fellow at the Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai. As a genetic epidemiologist, Dr. Jeff has an interest in identifying genetic variants that explain disease disparities observed across populations. Dr. Jeff has applied her interests to several common human diseases and traits including quantitative cardiovascular traits, anthropometric traits, hematological traits, reproductive outcomes, chronic kidney disease, type 2 diabetes, and pharmacogenomics in highly structured admixed populations such as African Americans and Hispanics. More recently, Dr. Jeff has developed approaches to extract data from a series of clinical data warehouses to define novel clinical phenotypes, for example extracting real-time physiologic response to short acting catacholamines administered during surgery for pharmacogenomic studies. Dr. Jeff is a previous National Human Genome Research Institute Genome Scholar (2006) and a recipient of the Women of Excellence and Leadership award (2006) and Levi Watkins Award for Commitment to Diversity (2011).
- Wenric, S, Jeff, JM, Joseph, T, Yee, MC, Belbin, GM, Owusu Obeng, A, Ellis, SB, Bottinger, EP, Gottesman, O, Levin, MA et al.. Rapid response to the alpha-1 adrenergic agent phenylephrine in the perioperative period is impacted by genomics and ancestry. Pharmacogenomics J 2021; 21 (2): 174-189. PubMed PMID:33168928 PubMed Central PMC7997806.
- Pendergrass, SA, Buyske, S, Jeff, JM, Frase, A, Dudek, S, Bradford, Y, Ambite, JL, Avery, CL, Buzkova, P, Deelman, E et al.. A phenome-wide association study (PheWAS) in the Population Architecture using Genomics and Epidemiology (PAGE) study reveals potential pleiotropy in African Americans. PLoS One 2019; 14 (12): e0226771. PubMed PMID:31891604 PubMed Central PMC6938343.
- Edwards, TL, Giri, A, Hellwege, JN, Hartmann, KE, Stewart, EA, Jeff, JM, Bray, MJ, Pendergrass, SA, Torstenson, ES, Keaton, JM et al.. A Trans-Ethnic Genome-Wide Association Study of Uterine Fibroids. Front Genet 2019; 10 : 511. PubMed PMID:31249589 PubMed Central PMC6582231.
- Wojcik, GL, Graff, M, Nishimura, KK, Tao, R, Haessler, J, Gignoux, CR, Highland, HM, Patel, YM, Sorokin, EP, Avery, CL et al.. Genetic analyses of diverse populations improves discovery for complex traits. Nature 2019; 570 (7762): 514-518. PubMed PMID:31217584 PubMed Central PMC6785182.
- Fernández-Rhodes, L, Malinowski, JR, Wang, Y, Tao, R, Pankratz, N, Jeff, JM, Yoneyama, S, Carty, CL, Setiawan, VW, Le Marchand, L et al.. The genetic underpinnings of variation in ages at menarche and natural menopause among women from the multi-ethnic Population Architecture using Genomics and Epidemiology (PAGE) Study: A trans-ethnic meta-analysis. PLoS One 2018; 13 (7): e0200486. PubMed PMID:30044860 PubMed Central PMC6059436.
- Hellwege, JN, Jeff, JM, Wise, LA, Gallagher, CS, Wellons, M, Hartmann, KE, Jones, SF, Torstenson, ES, Dickinson, S, Ruiz-Narváez, EA et al.. Erratum to: A multi-stage genome-wide association study of uterine fibroids in African Americans. Hum Genet 2017; 136 (11-12): 1497-1498. PubMed PMID:28975356 PubMed Central PMC5909202.
- Belbin, GM, Odgis, J, Sorokin, EP, Yee, MC, Kohli, S, Glicksberg, BS, Gignoux, CR, Wojcik, GL, Van Vleck, T, Jeff, JM et al.. Genetic identification of a common collagen disease in puerto ricans via identity-by-descent mapping in a health system. Elife 2017; 6 : . PubMed PMID:28895531 PubMed Central PMC5595434.
- Hellwege, JN, Jeff, JM, Wise, LA, Gallagher, CS, Wellons, M, Hartmann, KE, Jones, SF, Torstenson, ES, Dickinson, S, Ruiz-Narváez, EA et al.. A multi-stage genome-wide association study of uterine fibroids in African Americans. Hum Genet 2017; 136 (10): 1363-1373. PubMed PMID:28836065 PubMed Central PMC5628188.
- Levin, MA, Joseph, TT, Jeff, JM, Nadukuru, R, Ellis, SB, Bottinger, EP, Kenny, EE. iGAS: A framework for using electronic intraoperative medical records for genomic discovery. J Biomed Inform 2017; 67 : 80-89. PubMed PMID:28193464 .
- Avery, CL, Wassel, CL, Richard, MA, Highland, HM, Bien, S, Zubair, N, Soliman, EZ, Fornage, M, Bielinski, SJ, Tao, R et al.. Fine mapping of QT interval regions in global populations refines previously identified QT interval loci and identifies signals unique to African and Hispanic descent populations. Heart Rhythm 2017; 14 (4): 572-580. PubMed PMID:27988371 PubMed Central PMC5448160.
Dr. Jeff on Twitter
On today, Intersex Awareness day please enjoy this heart warming video. Bodies with sex trait variations are BEAUTIFUL, like all bodies, for a variety of reasons! Intersex people: "what do you love about your body?" youtu.be/pMAk8mBrVK4 via @YouTube #IntersexAwarenessDay Retweeted by Dr. Jay Electronica
Check out our latest @eMERGENetwork_ paper: genome-wide polygenic risk score for CKD optimized for trans-ethnic prediction & validated in 15 cohorts (4 continental ancestries). Top 2% tail cut-off with risk similar to +family history of kidney disease... medrxiv.org/content/10.110… Retweeted by Dr. Jay Electronica
It is #IntersexAwarenessDay! 💜💛 Genetic counselors- time to speak up. Intersex traits continue to be heavily pathologized in genetics clinics. We need to celebrate the spectrum of sexes and dismantle the medical systems that continue to oppress intersex communities #GCchat 1/🧵 Retweeted by Dr. Jay Electronica