Dr. Jonathan Haines is Mary W. Sheldon, MD, Professor of Genome Sciences; Chair of the Department of Epidemiology and Biostatistics; and Director of the Institute for Computational Biology at Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine. Dr. Haines is a genetic epidemiologist with a focus on adapting and applying statistical computational approaches to identify genetic variants and their modifiers that impact common human diseases with a focus on ocular and neurological diseases including age-related macular degeneration, primary open angle glaucoma, multiple sclerosis, autism, Parkinson’s disease, Alzheimer’s disease, to name a few. Dr. Haines is also active in Big Data science and electronic health records research and was the previous principal investigator of the National Human Genome Research Institute (NHGRI)-funded electronic MEdical Records & GEnomics (eMERGE) Coordinating Center. More recently, Dr. Haines founded the CWRU Institute for Computational Biology (ICB) as part of a multi-institutional funded effort involving Case Western Reserve University (CWRU), University of Hospital, Cleveland Clinic Foundation, and MetroHealth. Physically located at CWRU, the ICB aims to bring together electronic health records data in a de-identified environment to be accessed by investigators for research purposes. The ICB also aims to provide educational opportunities and resources such as databasing capabilities and the development of statistical methods for big data analysis. Dr. Haines has several accolades in recognition of his discoveries including the Zenith Award for Excellence in Alzheimer’s Disease Research (1993) and the Vanderbilt University School of Medicine Sidney P. Colowick Award for Research in Diverse Areas (2005). Dr. Haines was named a fellow in the American Association for the Advancement of Science in 2010.
- Mitchell, SL, Ma, C, Scott, WK, Agarwal, A, Pericak-Vance, MA, Haines, JL, Jones, DP, Uppal, K, Brantley, MA Jr. Plasma Metabolomics of Intermediate and Neovascular Age-Related Macular Degeneration Patients. Cells 2021; 10 (11): . PubMed PMID:34831363 .
- Zhang, X, Farrell, JJ, Tong, T, Hu, J, Zhu, C, Alzheimer's Disease Sequencing Project, Wang, LS, Mayeux, R, Haines, JL, Pericak-Vance, MA et al.. Association of mitochondrial variants and haplogroups identified by whole exome sequencing with Alzheimer's disease. Alzheimers Dement 2021; : . PubMed PMID:34152079 .
- de Rojas, I, Moreno-Grau, S, Tesi, N, Grenier-Boley, B, Andrade, V, Jansen, IE, Pedersen, NL, Stringa, N, Zettergren, A, Hernández, I et al.. Common variants in Alzheimer's disease and risk stratification by polygenic risk scores. Nat Commun 2021; 12 (1): 3417. PubMed PMID:34099642 PubMed Central PMC8184987.
- Sariya, S, Felsky, D, Reyes-Dumeyer, D, Lali, R, Lantigua, RA, Vardarajan, B, Jiménez-Velázquez, IZ, Haines, JL, Shellenberg, GD, Pericak-Vance, MA et al.. Polygenic Risk Score for Alzheimer's Disease in Caribbean Hispanics. Ann Neurol 2021; 90 (3): 366-376. PubMed PMID:34038570 PubMed Central PMC8435026.
- Rajabli, F, Feliciano-Astacio, BE, Cukier, HN, Wang, L, Griswold, AJ, Hamilton-Nelson, KL, Adams, LD, Rodriguez, VC, Mena, PR, Tejada, S et al.. Linkage of Alzheimer disease families with Puerto Rican ancestry identifies a chromosome 9 locus. Neurobiol Aging 2021; 104 : 115.e1-115.e7. PubMed PMID:33902942 .
- Rakocz, N, Chiang, JN, Nittala, MG, Corradetti, G, Tiosano, L, Velaga, S, Thompson, M, Hill, BL, Sankararaman, S, Haines, JL et al.. Automated identification of clinical features from sparsely annotated 3-dimensional medical imaging. NPJ Digit Med 2021; 4 (1): 44. PubMed PMID:33686212 PubMed Central PMC7940637.
- Corvi, F, Corradetti, G, Nittala, MG, Velaga, SB, Haines, JL, Pericak-Vance, MA, Stambolian, D, Sadda, SR. COMPARISON OF SPECTRALIS AND CIRRUS OPTICAL COHERENCE TOMOGRAPHY FOR THE DETECTION OF INCOMPLETE AND COMPLETE RETINAL PIGMENT EPITHELIUM AND OUTER RETINAL ATROPHY. Retina 2021; 41 (9): 1851-1857. PubMed PMID:33655896 .
- Gharahkhani, P, Jorgenson, E, Hysi, P, Khawaja, AP, Pendergrass, S, Han, X, Ong, JS, Hewitt, AW, Segrè, AV, Rouhana, JM et al.. Genome-wide meta-analysis identifies 127 open-angle glaucoma loci with consistent effect across ancestries. Nat Commun 2021; 12 (1): 1258. PubMed PMID:33627673 PubMed Central PMC7904932.
- Genetics of Exfoliation Syndrome Partnership, Li, Z, Wang, Z, Lee, MC, Zenkel, M, Peh, E, Ozaki, M, Topouzis, F, Nakano, S, Chan, A et al.. Association of Rare CYP39A1 Variants With Exfoliation Syndrome Involving the Anterior Chamber of the Eye. JAMA 2021; 325 (8): 753-764. PubMed PMID:33620406 PubMed Central PMC7903258.
- Waksmunski, AR, Song, YE, Kinzy, TG, Laux, RA, Sewell, J, Fuzzell, D, Fuzzell, S, Miller, S, Wiggs, JL, Pasquale, LR et al.. The GGLEAM Study: Understanding Glaucoma in the Ohio Amish. Int J Environ Res Public Health 2021; 18 (4): . PubMed PMID:33561996 PubMed Central PMC7915874.