DANA C. CRAWFORD, PH.D.
Assistant Director for Population and Diversity Research
Dana Crawford, Ph.D., is Associate Professor in the Departments of Population and Quantitative Health Sciences (primary) and Genetics and Genome Sciences (secondary) and Assistant Director for Population and Diversity Research in the Institute for Computational Biology. Dr. Crawford received her Ph.D. at Emory University in genetics and molecular biology in 2000 and then trained as a post-doctoral fellow as an Epidemic Intelligence Service Officer at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (2000–2002) and as a senior fellow at the University of Washington’s Department of Genome Sciences (2002–2006). Prior to her most current position, Dr. Crawford spent eight years as tenure-track faculty in Department of Molecular Physiology and Biophysics and Investigator in the Center for Human Genetics Research at Vanderbilt University. As a genetic epidemiologist at CWRU, Dr. Crawford’s broad research interests include applying genetic variation data to large-scale epidemiologic and clinical cohorts to better understand human genotype-phenotype associations with an emphasis on diverse populations.
Enabling high-throughput genotype-phenotype associations in the Epidemiologic Architecture for Genes Linked to Environment (EAGLE) project as part of the Population Architecture using Genomics and Epidemiology (PAGE) study.
Bush WS, Boston J, Pendergrass SA, Dumitrescu L, Goodloe R, Brown-Gentry K, Wilson S, McClellan B, Torstenson E, Basford MA, Spencer KL, Ritchie MD, Crawford DC,. Genetic association studies have rapidly become a major tool for identifying the genetic basis of common human diseases. The advent of cost-effective genotyping coupled with large collections of samples […]
- Fernández-Rhodes, L, Malinowski, JR, Wang, Y, Tao, R, Pankratz, N, Jeff, JM, Yoneyama, S, Carty, CL, Setiawan, VW, Le Marchand, L et al.. The genetic underpinnings of variation in ages at menarche and natural menopause among women from the multi-ethnic Population Architecture using Genomics and Epidemiology (PAGE) Study: A trans-ethnic meta-analysis. PLoS ONE 2018; 13 (7): e0200486. PubMed PMID:30044860 PubMed Central PMC6059436.
- Smieszek, S, Mitchell, SL, Farber-Eger, EH, Veatch, OJ, Wheeler, NR, Goodloe, RJ, Wells, QS, Murdock, DG, Crawford, DC. Hi-MC: a novel method for high-throughput mitochondrial haplogroup classification. PeerJ 2018; 6 : e5149. PubMed PMID:29967758 PubMed Central PMC6022720.
- Cooke Bailey, JN, Crawford, DC, Goldenberg, A, Slaven, A, Pencak, J, Schachere, M, Bush, WS, Sedor, JR, O'Toole, JF. Willingness to Participate in a National Precision Medicine Cohort: Attitudes of Chronic Kidney Disease Patients at a Cleveland Public Hospital. J Pers Med 2018; 8 (3): . PubMed PMID:29949895 .
- Crawford, DC, Bailey, JNC, Miskimen, K, Miron, P, McCauley, JL, Sedor, JR, ƠToole, JF, Bush, WS. Somatic T-cell Receptor Diversity in a Chronic Kidney Disease PatientPopulation Linked to Electronic Health Records. AMIA Jt Summits Transl Sci Proc 2018; 2017 : 63-71. PubMed PMID:29888042 PubMed Central PMC5961818.
- Jones, CC, Mercaldo, SF, Blume, JD, Wenzlaff, AS, Schwartz, AG, Chen, H, Deppen, SA, Bush, WS, Crawford, DC, Chanock, SJ et al.. Racial Disparities in Lung Cancer Survival: The Contribution of Stage, Treatment, and Ancestry. J Thorac Oncol 2018; : . PubMed PMID:29885480 .
- Kocarnik, JM, Richard, M, Graff, M, Haessler, J, Bien, S, Carlson, C, Carty, CL, Reiner, AP, Avery, CL, Ballantyne, CM et al.. Discovery, fine-mapping, and conditional analyses of genetic variants associated with C-reactive protein in multiethnic populations using the Metabochip in the Population Architecture using Genomics and Epidemiology (PAGE) study. Hum. Mol. Genet. 2018; 27 (16): 2940-2953. PubMed PMID:29878111 PubMed Central PMC6077792.
- Gong, J, Nishimura, KK, Fernandez-Rhodes, L, Haessler, J, Bien, S, Graff, M, Lim, U, Lu, Y, Gross, M, Fornage, M et al.. Trans-ethnic analysis of metabochip data identifies two new loci associated with BMI. Int J Obes (Lond) 2018; 42 (3): 384-390. PubMed PMID:29381148 PubMed Central PMC5876082.
- Bush, WS, Crawford, DC, Briggs, F, Freedman, D, Sloan, C. INTEGRATING COMMUNITY-LEVEL DATA RESOURCES FOR PRECISION MEDICINE RESEARCH. Pac Symp Biocomput 2018; 23 : 618-622. PubMed PMID:29218920 .
- Fish, AE, Crawford, DC, Capra, JA, Bush, WS. Local ancestry transitions modify snp-trait associations. Pac Symp Biocomput 2018; 23 : 424-435. PubMed PMID:29218902 PubMed Central PMC5728664.
- Conti, DV, Wang, K, Sheng, X, Bensen, JT, Hazelett, DJ, Cook, MB, Ingles, SA, Kittles, RA, Strom, SS, Rybicki, BA et al.. Two Novel Susceptibility Loci for Prostate Cancer in Men of African Ancestry. J. Natl. Cancer Inst. 2017; 109 (8): . PubMed PMID:29117387 PubMed Central PMC5448553.