DANA C. CRAWFORD, PH.D.
Assistant Director for Population and Diversity Research
Dana Crawford, Ph.D., is Associate Professor in the Departments of Population and Quantitative Health Sciences (primary) and Genetics and Genome Sciences (secondary) and Assistant Director for Population and Diversity Research in the Institute for Computational Biology. Dr. Crawford received her Ph.D. at Emory University in genetics and molecular biology in 2000 and then trained as a post-doctoral fellow as an Epidemic Intelligence Service Officer at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (2000–2002) and as a senior fellow at the University of Washington’s Department of Genome Sciences (2002–2006). Prior to her most current position, Dr. Crawford spent eight years as tenure-track faculty in Department of Molecular Physiology and Biophysics and Investigator in the Center for Human Genetics Research at Vanderbilt University. As a genetic epidemiologist at CWRU, Dr. Crawford’s broad research interests include applying genetic variation data to large-scale epidemiologic and clinical cohorts to better understand human genotype-phenotype associations with an emphasis on diverse populations.
Characterization of the Metabochip in diverse populations from the International HapMap Project in the Epidemiologic Architecture for Genes Linked to Environment (EAGLE) project.
Crawford DC, Goodloe R, Brown-Gentry K, Wilson S, Roberson J, Gillani NB, Ritchie MD, Dilks HH, Bush WS,. Genome-wide association studies (GWAS) have identified hundreds of genomic regions associated with common human disease and quantitative traits. A major research avenue for mature genotype-phenotype associations is the identification of the true risk or functional variant for […]
- Gong, J, Nishimura, KK, Fernandez-Rhodes, L, Haessler, J, Bien, S, Graff, M, Lim, U, Lu, Y, Gross, M, Fornage, M et al.. Trans-ethnic analysis of metabochip data identifies two new loci associated with BMI. Int J Obes (Lond) 2018; 42 (3): 384-390. PubMed PMID:29381148 PubMed Central PMC5876082.
- Bush, WS, Crawford, DC, Briggs, F, Freedman, D, Sloan, C. INTEGRATING COMMUNITY-LEVEL DATA RESOURCES FOR PRECISION MEDICINE RESEARCH. Pac Symp Biocomput 2018; 23 : 618-622. PubMed PMID:29218920 .
- Fish, AE, Crawford, DC, Capra, JA, Bush, WS. Local ancestry transitions modify snp-trait associations. Pac Symp Biocomput 2018; 23 : 424-435. PubMed PMID:29218902 PubMed Central PMC5728664.
- Conti, DV, Wang, K, Sheng, X, Bensen, JT, Hazelett, DJ, Cook, MB, Ingles, SA, Kittles, RA, Strom, SS, Rybicki, BA et al.. Two Novel Susceptibility Loci for Prostate Cancer in Men of African Ancestry. J. Natl. Cancer Inst. 2017; 109 (8): . PubMed PMID:29117387 PubMed Central PMC5448553.
- Goodloe, R, Farber-Eger, E, Boston, J, Crawford, DC, Bush, WS. Reducing Clinical Noise for Body Mass Index Measures Due to Unit and Transcription Errors in the Electronic Health Record. AMIA Jt Summits Transl Sci Proc 2017; 2017 : 102-111. PubMed PMID:28815116 PubMed Central PMC5543370.
- Farber-Eger, E, Goodloe, R, Boston, J, Bush, WS, Crawford, DC. Extracting Country-of-Origin from Electronic Health Records for Gene- Environment Studies as Part of the Epidemiologic Architecture for Genes Linked to Environment (EAGLE) Study. AMIA Jt Summits Transl Sci Proc 2017; 2017 : 50-57. PubMed PMID:28815105 PubMed Central PMC5543359.
- Jones, CC, Bush, WS, Crawford, DC, Wenzlaff, AS, Schwartz, AG, Wiencke, JK, Wrensch, MR, Blot, WJ, Chanock, SJ, Grogan, EL et al.. Germline Genetic Variants and Lung Cancer Survival in African Americans. Cancer Epidemiol. Biomarkers Prev. 2017; 26 (8): 1288-1295. PubMed PMID:28619829 PubMed Central PMC5540773.
- Zubair, N, Graff, M, Luis Ambite, J, Bush, WS, Kichaev, G, Lu, Y, Manichaikul, A, Sheu, WH, Absher, D, Assimes, TL et al.. Fine-mapping of lipid regions in global populations discovers ethnic-specific signals and refines previously identified lipid loci. Hum. Mol. Genet. 2016; 25 (24): 5500-5512. PubMed PMID:28426890 PubMed Central PMC5721937.
- Fernández-Rhodes, L, Gong, J, Haessler, J, Franceschini, N, Graff, M, Nishimura, KK, Wang, Y, Highland, HM, Yoneyama, S, Bush, WS et al.. Trans-ethnic fine-mapping of genetic loci for body mass index in the diverse ancestral populations of the Population Architecture using Genomics and Epidemiology (PAGE) Study reveals evidence for multiple signals at established loci. Hum. Genet. 2017; 136 (6): 771-800. PubMed PMID:28391526 PubMed Central PMC5485655.
- Dumitrescu, L, Ritchie, MD, Denny, JC, El Rouby, NM, McDonough, CW, Bradford, Y, Ramirez, AH, Bielinski, SJ, Basford, MA, Chai, HS et al.. Genome-wide study of resistant hypertension identified from electronic health records. PLoS ONE 2017; 12 (2): e0171745. PubMed PMID:28222112 PubMed Central PMC5319785.