DANA C. CRAWFORD, PHD
Associate Director for Population and Diversity Research
Dana Crawford, PhD, is Professor in the Department of Population and Quantitative Health Sciences and Associate Director for Population and Diversity Research in the Cleveland Institute for Computational Biology. She also has a secondary appointment in the Department of Genetics and Genome Sciences. Dr. Crawford received her Ph.D. at Emory University in genetics and molecular biology in 2000 and then trained as a post-doctoral fellow as an Epidemic Intelligence Service Officer at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (2000–2002) and as a senior fellow at the University of Washington’s Department of Genome Sciences (2002–2006). Prior to her most current position, Dr. Crawford spent eight years as tenure-track faculty in the Department of Molecular Physiology and Biophysics and Investigator in the Center for Human Genetics Research at Vanderbilt University. As a genetic epidemiologist at CWRU, Dr. Crawford’s broad research interests include applying genetic variation data to large-scale epidemiologic and clinical cohorts to better understand human genotype-phenotype associations with an emphasis on diverse populations.
- Crawford, DC, Williams, SM. Global variation in sequencing impedes SARS-CoV-2 surveillance. PLoS Genet 2021; 17 (7): e1009620. PubMed PMID:34264957 PubMed Central PMC8282079.
- Crawford, DC, Sedor, JR. Biobanks Linked to Electronic Health Records Accelerate Genomic Discovery. J Am Soc Nephrol 2021; 32 (8): 1828-1829. PubMed PMID:34244324 .
- Karunamuni, RA, Huynh-Le, MP, Fan, CC, Thompson, W, Lui, A, Martinez, ME, Rose, BS, Mahal, B, Eeles, RA, Kote-Jarai, Z et al.. Performance of African-ancestry-specific polygenic hazard score varies according to local ancestry in 8q24. Prostate Cancer Prostatic Dis 2021; : . PubMed PMID:34127801 .
- Schmidt, IM, Colona, MR, Kestenbaum, BR, Alexopoulos, LG, Palsson, R, Srivastava, A, Liu, J, Stillman, IE, Rennke, HG, Vaidya, VS et al.. Cadherin-11, Sparc-related modular calcium binding protein-2, and Pigment epithelium-derived factor are promising non-invasive biomarkers of kidney fibrosis. Kidney Int 2021; 100 (3): 672-683. PubMed PMID:34051265 PubMed Central PMC8384690.
- Conti, DV, Darst, BF, Moss, LC, Saunders, EJ, Sheng, X, Chou, A, Schumacher, FR, Olama, AAA, Benlloch, S, Dadaev, T et al.. Publisher Correction: Trans-ancestry genome-wide association meta-analysis of prostate cancer identifies new susceptibility loci and informs genetic risk prediction. Nat Genet 2021; 53 (3): 413. PubMed PMID:33473200 .
- Conti, DV, Darst, BF, Moss, LC, Saunders, EJ, Sheng, X, Chou, A, Schumacher, FR, Olama, AAA, Benlloch, S, Dadaev, T et al.. Trans-ancestry genome-wide association meta-analysis of prostate cancer identifies new susceptibility loci and informs genetic risk prediction. Nat Genet 2021; 53 (1): 65-75. PubMed PMID:33398198 PubMed Central PMC8148035.
- Cooke Bailey, JN, Bush, WS, Crawford, DC. Editorial: The Importance of Diversity in Precision Medicine Research. Front Genet 2020; 11 : 875. PubMed PMID:33005167 PubMed Central PMC7479241.
- Ong, E, Wang, LL, Schaub, J, O'Toole, JF, Steck, B, Rosenberg, AZ, Dowd, F, Hansen, J, Barisoni, L, Jain, S et al.. Modelling kidney disease using ontology: insights from the Kidney Precision Medicine Project. Nat Rev Nephrol 2020; 16 (11): 686-696. PubMed PMID:32939051 PubMed Central PMC8012202.
- Karunamuni, RA, Huynh-Le, MP, Fan, CC, Thompson, W, Eeles, RA, Kote-Jarai, Z, Muir, K, UKGPCS Collaborators, Lophatananon, A, Tangen, CM et al.. African-specific improvement of a polygenic hazard score for age at diagnosis of prostate cancer. Int J Cancer 2021; 148 (1): 99-105. PubMed PMID:32930425 PubMed Central PMC8135907.
- McDonough, CW, Babcock, K, Chucri, K, Crawford, DC, Bian, J, Modave, F, Cooper-DeHoff, RM, Hogan, WR. Optimizing identification of resistant hypertension: Computable phenotype development and validation. Pharmacoepidemiol Drug Saf 2020; 29 (11): 1393-1401. PubMed PMID:32844549 PubMed Central PMC7754782.
Trans-ethnic fine-mapping of genetic loci for body mass index in the diverse ancestral populations of the Population Architecture using Genomics and Epidemiology (PAGE) Study reveals evidence for multiple signals at established loci.
Fernández-Rhodes L, Gong J, Haessler J, Franceschini N, Graff M, Nishimura KK, Wang Y, Highland HM, Yoneyama S, Bush WS, Goodloe R, Ritchie MD, Crawford D, Gross M, Fornage M, Buzkova P, Tao R, Isasi C, Avilés-Santa L, Daviglus M, Mackey RH, Houston D, Gu CC, Ehret G, Nguyen KH, Lewis CE, Leppert M, Irvin […]
eMERGE Phenome-Wide Association Study (PheWAS) identifies clinical associations and pleiotropy for stop-gain variants.
Verma A, Verma SS, Pendergrass SA, Crawford DC, Crosslin DR, Kuivaniemi H, Bush WS, Bradford Y, Kullo I, Bielinski SJ, Li R, Denny JC, Peissig P, Hebbring S, De Andrade M, Ritchie MD, Tromp G,. We explored premature stop-gain variants to test the hypothesis that variants, which are likely to have a consequence on protein […]
Bush WS, Crosslin DR, Owusu-Obeng A, Wallace J, Almoguera B, Basford MA, Bielinski SJ, Carrell DS, Connolly JJ, Crawford D, Doheny KF, Gallego CJ, Gordon AS, Keating B, Kirby J, Kitchner T, Manzi S, Mejia AR, Pan V, Perry CL, Peterson JF, Prows CA, Ralston J, Scott SA, Scrol A, Smith M, Stallings SC, Veldhuizen […]
Dumitrescu L, Restrepo NA, Goodloe R, Boston J, Farber-Eger E, Pendergrass SA, Bush WS, Crawford DC,. Racial/ethnic differences for commonly measured clinical variables are well documented, and it has been postulated that population-specific genetic factors may play a role. The genetic heterogeneity of admixed populations, such as African Americans, provides a unique opportunity to identify […]
Dana on Twitter
I was shocked to hear of his passing earlier this month. He was on my dissertation committee and was a key mentor and collaborator in my graduate work on Fragile X. What a loss to the field, family, and friends. twitter.com/EmoryGenetics/…
With our great sadness, we would like to share with you that Dr. Stephen Warren, the founding Chair of the Department of Human Genetics at Emory, passed away today, June 6th. Our sincere condolences to Steve’s family, his many friends and colleagues. He will be sorely missed. pic.twitter.com/KFl9hUTQRD— Emory Genetics (@EmoryGenetics) June 7, 2021
We have successfully concluded ASHG's first ever virtual #HillDay. Thank you to everyone who made their voices heard through social media and in congressional meetings. We also thank the Hill staff offices for taking the time to speak with us throughout the day. #FundNIH Retweeted by Dr. Dana Crawford