DANA C. CRAWFORD, PH.D.
Assistant Director for Population and Diversity Research
Dana Crawford, Ph.D., is Associate Professor in the Departments of Population and Quantitative Health Sciences (primary) and Genetics and Genome Sciences (secondary) and Assistant Director for Population and Diversity Research in the Cleveland Institute for Computational Biology. Dr. Crawford received her Ph.D. at Emory University in genetics and molecular biology in 2000 and then trained as a post-doctoral fellow as an Epidemic Intelligence Service Officer at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (2000–2002) and as a senior fellow at the University of Washington’s Department of Genome Sciences (2002–2006). Prior to her most current position, Dr. Crawford spent eight years as tenure-track faculty in Department of Molecular Physiology and Biophysics and Investigator in the Center for Human Genetics Research at Vanderbilt University. As a genetic epidemiologist at CWRU, Dr. Crawford’s broad research interests include applying genetic variation data to large-scale epidemiologic and clinical cohorts to better understand human genotype-phenotype associations with an emphasis on diverse populations.
Trans-ethnic fine-mapping of genetic loci for body mass index in the diverse ancestral populations of the Population Architecture using Genomics and Epidemiology (PAGE) Study reveals evidence for multiple signals at established loci.
Fernández-Rhodes L, Gong J, Haessler J, Franceschini N, Graff M, Nishimura KK, Wang Y, Highland HM, Yoneyama S, Bush WS, Goodloe R, Ritchie MD, Crawford D, Gross M, Fornage M, Buzkova P, Tao R, Isasi C, Avilés-Santa L, Daviglus M, Mackey RH, Houston D, Gu CC, Ehret G, Nguyen KH, Lewis CE, Leppert M, Irvin […]
eMERGE Phenome-Wide Association Study (PheWAS) identifies clinical associations and pleiotropy for stop-gain variants.
Verma A, Verma SS, Pendergrass SA, Crawford DC, Crosslin DR, Kuivaniemi H, Bush WS, Bradford Y, Kullo I, Bielinski SJ, Li R, Denny JC, Peissig P, Hebbring S, De Andrade M, Ritchie MD, Tromp G,. We explored premature stop-gain variants to test the hypothesis that variants, which are likely to have a consequence on protein […]
Bush WS, Crosslin DR, Owusu-Obeng A, Wallace J, Almoguera B, Basford MA, Bielinski SJ, Carrell DS, Connolly JJ, Crawford D, Doheny KF, Gallego CJ, Gordon AS, Keating B, Kirby J, Kitchner T, Manzi S, Mejia AR, Pan V, Perry CL, Peterson JF, Prows CA, Ralston J, Scott SA, Scrol A, Smith M, Stallings SC, Veldhuizen […]
Dumitrescu L, Restrepo NA, Goodloe R, Boston J, Farber-Eger E, Pendergrass SA, Bush WS, Crawford DC,. Racial/ethnic differences for commonly measured clinical variables are well documented, and it has been postulated that population-specific genetic factors may play a role. The genetic heterogeneity of admixed populations, such as African Americans, provides a unique opportunity to identify […]
- Bush, WS, Cooke Bailey, JN, Beno, MF, Crawford, DC. Bridging the Gaps in Personalized Medicine Value Assessment: A Review of the Need for Outcome Metrics across Stakeholders and Scientific Disciplines. Public Health Genomics 2019; 22 (1-2): 16-24. PubMed PMID:31454805 PubMed Central PMC6752968.
- Halladay, CW, Hadi, T, Anger, MD, Greenberg, PB, Sullivan, JM, Konicki, PE, Peachey, NS, Igo, RP Jr, Iyengar, SK, Wu, WC et al.. Genetically-guided algorithm development and sample size optimization for age-related macular degeneration cases and controls in electronic health records from the VA Million Veteran Program. AMIA Jt Summits Transl Sci Proc 2019; 2019 : 153-162. PubMed PMID:31258967 PubMed Central PMC6568141.
- Crawford, DC, Cooke Bailey, JN, Briggs, FBS. Mind the gap: resources required to receive, process and interpret research-returned whole genome data. Hum. Genet. 2019; 138 (7): 691-701. PubMed PMID:31161416 .
- Hollister, BM, Farber-Eger, E, Aldrich, MC, Crawford, DC. A Social Determinant of Health May Modify Genetic Associations for Blood Pressure: Evidence From a SNP by Education Interaction in an African American Population. Front Genet 2019; 10 : 428. PubMed PMID:31134134 PubMed Central PMC6523518.
- Pendergrass, SA, Crawford, DC. Using Electronic Health Records To Generate Phenotypes For Research. Curr Protoc Hum Genet 2019; 100 (1): e80. PubMed PMID:30516347 PubMed Central PMC6318047.
- Restrepo, NA, Laper, SM, Farber-Eger, E, Crawford, DC. Local genetic ancestry in CDKN2B-AS1 is associated with primary open-angle glaucoma in an African American cohort extracted from de-identified electronic health records. BMC Med Genomics 2018; 11 (Suppl 3): 70. PubMed PMID:30255811 PubMed Central PMC6157155.
- Crawford, DC, Restrepo, NA, Diggins, KE, Farber-Eger, E, Wells, QS. Frequency and phenotype consequence of APOC3 rare variants in patients with very low triglyceride levels. BMC Med Genomics 2018; 11 (Suppl 3): 66. PubMed PMID:30255797 PubMed Central PMC6156840.
- Fernández-Rhodes, L, Malinowski, JR, Wang, Y, Tao, R, Pankratz, N, Jeff, JM, Yoneyama, S, Carty, CL, Setiawan, VW, Le Marchand, L et al.. The genetic underpinnings of variation in ages at menarche and natural menopause among women from the multi-ethnic Population Architecture using Genomics and Epidemiology (PAGE) Study: A trans-ethnic meta-analysis. PLoS ONE 2018; 13 (7): e0200486. PubMed PMID:30044860 PubMed Central PMC6059436.
- Smieszek, S, Mitchell, SL, Farber-Eger, EH, Veatch, OJ, Wheeler, NR, Goodloe, RJ, Wells, QS, Murdock, DG, Crawford, DC. Hi-MC: a novel method for high-throughput mitochondrial haplogroup classification. PeerJ 2018; 6 : e5149. PubMed PMID:29967758 PubMed Central PMC6022720.
- Cooke Bailey, JN, Crawford, DC, Goldenberg, A, Slaven, A, Pencak, J, Schachere, M, Bush, WS, Sedor, JR, O'Toole, JF. Willingness to Participate in a National Precision Medicine Cohort: Attitudes of Chronic Kidney Disease Patients at a Cleveland Public Hospital. J Pers Med 2018; 8 (3): . PubMed PMID:29949895 PubMed Central PMC6164471.