DANA C. CRAWFORD, PH.D.
Assistant Director for Research Applications
Dana Crawford, Ph.D., is Associate Professor of Epidemiology and Biostatistics within the Institute for Computational Biology. Dr. Crawford received her Ph.D. at Emory University in genetics and molecular biology in 2000 and then trained as a post-doctoral fellow as an Epidemic Intelligence Service Officer at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (2000–2002) and as a senior fellow at the University of Washington’s Department of Genome Sciences (2002–2006). Prior to her most current position, Dr. Crawford spent eight years as tenure-track faculty in Department of Molecular Physiology and Biophysics and Investigator in the Center for Human Genetics Research at Vanderbilt University. As a genetic epidemiologist at CWRU, Dr. Crawford’s broad research interests include applying genetic variation data to large-scale epidemiologic and clinical cohorts to better understand human genotype-phenotype associations with an emphasis on diverse populations.
Oetjens MT, Brown-Gentry K, Goodloe R, Dilks HH, Crawford DC,. Population stratification or confounding by genetic ancestry is a potential cause of false associations in genetic association studies. Estimation of and adjustment for genetic ancestry has become common practice thanks in part to the availability of ancestry informative markers on genome-wide association study (GWAS) arrays. […]
Dumitrescu L, Restrepo NA, Goodloe R, Boston J, Farber-Eger E, Pendergrass SA, Bush WS, Crawford DC,. Racial/ethnic differences for commonly measured clinical variables are well documented, and it has been postulated that population-specific genetic factors may play a role. The genetic heterogeneity of admixed populations, such as African Americans, provides a unique opportunity to identify […]
Association of cancer susceptibility variants with risk of multiple primary cancers: The population architecture using genomics and epidemiology study.
Park SL, Caberto CP, Lin Y, Goodloe RJ, Dumitrescu L, Love SA, Matise TC, Hindorff LA, Fowke JH, Schumacher FR, Beebe-Dimmer J, Chen C, Hou L, Thomas F, Deelman E, Han Y, Peters U, North KE, Heiss G, Crawford DC, Haiman CA, Wilkens LR, Bush WS, Kooperberg C, Cheng I, Le Marchand L,. Multiple primary […]
Setiawan VW, Schumacher F, Prescott J, Haessler J, Malinowski J, Wentzensen N, Yang H, Chanock S, Brinton L, Hartge P, Lissowska J, Park SL, Cheng I, Bush WS, Crawford DC, Ursin G, Horn-Ross P, Bernstein L, Lu L, Risch H, Yu H, Sakoda LC, Doherty J, Chen C, Jackson R, Yasmeen S, Cote M, Kocarnik […]
Crawford DC, Crosslin DR, Tromp G, Kullo IJ, Kuivaniemi H, Hayes MG, Denny JC, Bush WS, Haines JL, Roden DM, McCarty CA, Jarvik GP, Ritchie MD,. The electronic MEdical Records & GEnomics (eMERGE) network was established in 2007 by the National Human Genome Research Institute (NHGRI) of the National Institutes of Health (NIH) in part […]
- Dumitrescu, L, Ritchie, MD, Denny, JC, El Rouby, NM, McDonough, CW, Bradford, Y, Ramirez, AH, Bielinski, SJ, Basford, MA, Chai, HS et al.. Genome-wide study of resistant hypertension identified from electronic health records. PLoS ONE 2017; 12 (2): e0171745. PubMed PMID:28222112 PubMed Central PMC5319785.
- Bush, WS, Crawford, DC. Predicting Incident Coronary Heart Disease Many Markers at a Time. Circ Cardiovasc Genet 2016; 9 (6): 472-473. PubMed PMID:27998944 .
- Jones, GT, Tromp, G, Kuivaniemi, H, Gretarsdottir, S, Baas, AF, Giusti, B, Strauss, E, Van’t Hof, FN, Webb, TR, Erdman, R et al.. Meta-Analysis of Genome-Wide Association Studies for Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm Identifies Four New Disease-Specific Risk Loci. Circ. Res. 2017; 120 (2): 341-353. PubMed PMID:27899403 PubMed Central PMC5253231.
- Hollister, BM, Restrepo, NA, Farber-Eger, E, Crawford, DC, Aldrich, MC, Non, A. DEVELOPMENT AND PERFORMANCE OF TEXT-MINING ALGORITHMS TO EXTRACT SOCIOECONOMIC STATUS FROM DE-IDENTIFIED ELECTRONIC HEALTH RECORDS. Pac Symp Biocomput 2016; 22 : 230-241. PubMed PMID:27896978 PubMed Central PMC5147499.
- Restrepo, NA, Butkiewicz, M, McGrath, JA, Crawford, DC. Shared Genetic Etiology of Autoimmune Diseases in Patients from a Biorepository Linked to De-identified Electronic Health Records. Front Genet 2016; 7 : 185. PubMed PMID:27812365 PubMed Central PMC5071319.
- Restrepo, NA, Farber-Eger, E, Crawford, DC. Searching in the Dark: Phenotyping Diabetic Retinopathy in a De-Identified Electronic Medical Record Sample of African Americans. AMIA Jt Summits Transl Sci Proc 2016; 2016 : 221-30. PubMed PMID:27570675 PubMed Central PMC5001772.
- Verma, A, Verma, SS, Pendergrass, SA, Crawford, DC, Crosslin, DR, Kuivaniemi, H, Bush, WS, Bradford, Y, Kullo, I, Bielinski, SJ et al.. eMERGE Phenome-Wide Association Study (PheWAS) identifies clinical associations and pleiotropy for stop-gain variants. BMC Med Genomics 2016; 9 Suppl 1 : 32. PubMed PMID:27535653 PubMed Central PMC4989894.
- van ‘t Hof, FN, Ruigrok, YM, Lee, CH, Ripke, S, Anderson, G, de Andrade, M, Baas, AF, Blankensteijn, JD, Böttinger, EP, Bown, MJ et al.. Shared Genetic Risk Factors of Intracranial, Abdominal, and Thoracic Aneurysms. J Am Heart Assoc 2016; 5 (7): . PubMed PMID:27418160 PubMed Central PMC5015357.
- Liu, CT, Raghavan, S, Maruthur, N, Kabagambe, EK, Hong, J, Ng, MC, Hivert, MF, Lu, Y, An, P, Bentley, AR et al.. Trans-ethnic Meta-analysis and Functional Annotation Illuminates the Genetic Architecture of Fasting Glucose and Insulin. Am. J. Hum. Genet. 2016; 99 (1): 56-75. PubMed PMID:27321945 PubMed Central PMC5005440.
- Oetjens, MT, Bush, WS, Denny, JC, Birdwell, K, Kodaman, N, Verma, A, Dilks, HH, Pendergrass, SA, Ritchie, MD, Crawford, DC et al.. Evidence for extensive pleiotropy among pharmacogenes. Pharmacogenomics 2016; 17 (8): 853-66. PubMed PMID:27249515 .