WILLIAM S. BUSH, PH.D.
Associate Director for Bioinformatics Research
William S. Bush, Ph.D. is an Associate Professor in the Department of Population and Quantitative Health Sciences and the Institute for Computational Biology at Case Western Reserve University. Dr. Bush received his Ph.D. at Vanderbilt University in Human Genetics in 2008 and then continued as a post-doctoral fellow in the Neurogenomics Training Program at Vanderbilt. Dr. Bush was recently named a Mt. Sinai Health Care Foundation Scholar. As a human geneticist and bioinformatician, Dr. Bush’s research interests include understanding the functional impact of genetic variation, developing statistical and bioinformatics approaches for integrating functional genomics knowledge into genetic analysis, and the use of electronic medical records for translational research.
Kolek MJ, Muehlschlegel JD, Bush WS, Parvez B, Murray KT, Stein CM, Shoemaker MB, Blair MA, Kor KC, Roden DM, Donahue BS, Fox AA, Shernan SK, Collard CD, Body SC, Darbar D,. Postoperative atrial fibrillation (PoAF) is common after coronary artery bypass grafting. We previously showed that atrial fibrillation susceptibility single nucleotide polymorphisms (SNPs) at […]
Sivley RM, Fish AE, Bush WS,. Rarely occurring genetic variants are hypothesized to influence human diseases, but statistically associating these rare variants to disease is challenging due to a lack of statistical power in most feasibly sized datasets. Several statistical tests have been developed to either collapse multiple rare variants from a genomic region into […]
Xie W, Kantarcioglu M, Bush WS, Crawford D, Denny JC, Heatherly R, Malin BA,. Sharing genomic data is crucial to support scientific investigation such as genome-wide association studies. However, recent investigations suggest the privacy of the individual participants in these studies can be compromised, leading to serious concerns and consequences, such as overly restricted access […]
Association of cancer susceptibility variants with risk of multiple primary cancers: The population architecture using genomics and epidemiology study.
Park SL, Caberto CP, Lin Y, Goodloe RJ, Dumitrescu L, Love SA, Matise TC, Hindorff LA, Fowke JH, Schumacher FR, Beebe-Dimmer J, Chen C, Hou L, Thomas F, Deelman E, Han Y, Peters U, North KE, Heiss G, Crawford DC, Haiman CA, Wilkens LR, Bush WS, Kooperberg C, Cheng I, Le Marchand L,. Multiple primary […]
Setiawan VW, Schumacher F, Prescott J, Haessler J, Malinowski J, Wentzensen N, Yang H, Chanock S, Brinton L, Hartge P, Lissowska J, Park SL, Cheng I, Bush WS, Crawford DC, Ursin G, Horn-Ross P, Bernstein L, Lu L, Risch H, Yu H, Sakoda LC, Doherty J, Chen C, Jackson R, Yasmeen S, Cote M, Kocarnik […]
- Kallianpur, AR, Gittleman, H, Letendre, S, Ellis, R, Barnholtz-Sloan, JS, Bush, WS, Heaton, R, Samuels, DC, Franklin, DR Jr, Rosario-Cookson, D et al.. Cerebrospinal Fluid Ceruloplasmin, Haptoglobin, and Vascular Endothelial Growth Factor Are Associated with Neurocognitive Impairment in Adults with HIV Infection. Mol. Neurobiol. 2018; : . PubMed PMID:30209774 .
- Bis, JC, Jian, X, Kunkle, BW, Chen, Y, Hamilton-Nelson, KL, Bush, WS, Salerno, WJ, Lancour, D, Ma, Y, Renton, AE et al.. Whole exome sequencing study identifies novel rare and common Alzheimer's-Associated variants involved in immune response and transcriptional regulation. Mol. Psychiatry 2018; : . PubMed PMID:30108311 .
- Ji, X, Bossé, Y, Landi, MT, Gui, J, Xiao, X, Qian, D, Joubert, P, Lamontagne, M, Li, Y, Gorlov, I et al.. Identification of susceptibility pathways for the role of chromosome 15q25.1 in modifying lung cancer risk. Nat Commun 2018; 9 (1): 3221. PubMed PMID:30104567 PubMed Central PMC6089967.
- Igo, RP Jr, Hall, NB, Malone, LL, Hall, JB, Truitt, B, Qiu, F, Tao, L, Mupere, E, Schnell, A, Hawn, TR et al.. Fine-mapping analysis of a chromosome 2 region linked to resistance to Mycobacterium tuberculosis infection in Uganda reveals potential regulatory variants. Genes Immun. 2018; : . PubMed PMID:30100616 .
- Smieszek, S, Jia, P, Samuels, DC, Zhao, Z, Barnholtz-Sloan, J, Kaur, H, Letendre, S, Ellis, R, Franklin, DR, Hulgan, T et al.. Nuclear-Mitochondrial interactions influence susceptibility to HIV-associated neurocognitive impairment. Mitochondrion 2018; : . PubMed PMID:30026132 .
- Deming, Y, Dumitrescu, L, Barnes, LL, Thambisetty, M, Kunkle, B, Gifford, KA, Bush, WS, Chibnik, LB, Mukherjee, S, De Jager, PL et al.. Sex-specific genetic predictors of Alzheimer's disease biomarkers. Acta Neuropathol. 2018; : . PubMed PMID:29967939 .
- Cooke Bailey, JN, Crawford, DC, Goldenberg, A, Slaven, A, Pencak, J, Schachere, M, Bush, WS, Sedor, JR, O'Toole, JF. Willingness to Participate in a National Precision Medicine Cohort: Attitudes of Chronic Kidney Disease Patients at a Cleveland Public Hospital. J Pers Med 2018; 8 (3): . PubMed PMID:29949895 PubMed Central PMC6164471.
- Crawford, DC, Bailey, JNC, Miskimen, K, Miron, P, McCauley, JL, Sedor, JR, ƠToole, JF, Bush, WS. Somatic T-cell Receptor Diversity in a Chronic Kidney Disease PatientPopulation Linked to Electronic Health Records. AMIA Jt Summits Transl Sci Proc 2018; 2017 : 63-71. PubMed PMID:29888042 PubMed Central PMC5961818.
- Jones, CC, Mercaldo, SF, Blume, JD, Wenzlaff, AS, Schwartz, AG, Chen, H, Deppen, SA, Bush, WS, Crawford, DC, Chanock, SJ et al.. Racial Disparities in Lung Cancer Survival: The Contribution of Stage, Treatment, and Ancestry. J Thorac Oncol 2018; 13 (10): 1464-1473. PubMed PMID:29885480 PubMed Central PMC6153049.
- Naj, AC, Lin, H, Vardarajan, BN, White, S, Lancour, D, Ma, Y, Schmidt, M, Sun, F, Butkiewicz, M, Bush, WS et al.. Quality control and integration of genotypes from two calling pipelines for whole genome sequence data in the Alzheimer's disease sequencing project. Genomics 2018; : . PubMed PMID:29857119 .