WILLIAM S. BUSH, PH.D.
Associate Director for Bioinformatics Research
William S. Bush, Ph.D. is an Associate Professor in the Department of Population and Quantitative Health Sciences and the Cleveland Institute for Computational Biology at Case Western Reserve University. Dr. Bush received his Ph.D. at Vanderbilt University in Human Genetics in 2008 and then continued as a post-doctoral fellow in the Neurogenomics Training Program at Vanderbilt. Dr. Bush was recently named a Mt. Sinai Health Care Foundation Scholar. As a human geneticist and bioinformatician, Dr. Bush’s research interests include understanding the functional impact of genetic variation, developing statistical and bioinformatics approaches for integrating functional genomics knowledge into genetic analysis, and the use of electronic medical records for translational research.
Kayton NS, Poffenberger G, Henske J, Dai C, Thompson C, Aramandla R, Shostak A, Nicholson W, Brissova M, Bush WS, Powers AC,. Human islet research is providing new insights into human islet biology and diabetes, using islets isolated at multiple US centers from donors with varying characteristics. This creates challenges for understanding, interpreting, and integrating […]
Kolek MJ, Muehlschlegel JD, Bush WS, Parvez B, Murray KT, Stein CM, Shoemaker MB, Blair MA, Kor KC, Roden DM, Donahue BS, Fox AA, Shernan SK, Collard CD, Body SC, Darbar D,. Postoperative atrial fibrillation (PoAF) is common after coronary artery bypass grafting. We previously showed that atrial fibrillation susceptibility single nucleotide polymorphisms (SNPs) at […]
Sivley RM, Fish AE, Bush WS,. Rarely occurring genetic variants are hypothesized to influence human diseases, but statistically associating these rare variants to disease is challenging due to a lack of statistical power in most feasibly sized datasets. Several statistical tests have been developed to either collapse multiple rare variants from a genomic region into […]
Xie W, Kantarcioglu M, Bush WS, Crawford D, Denny JC, Heatherly R, Malin BA,. Sharing genomic data is crucial to support scientific investigation such as genome-wide association studies. However, recent investigations suggest the privacy of the individual participants in these studies can be compromised, leading to serious concerns and consequences, such as overly restricted access […]
Association of cancer susceptibility variants with risk of multiple primary cancers: The population architecture using genomics and epidemiology study.
Park SL, Caberto CP, Lin Y, Goodloe RJ, Dumitrescu L, Love SA, Matise TC, Hindorff LA, Fowke JH, Schumacher FR, Beebe-Dimmer J, Chen C, Hou L, Thomas F, Deelman E, Han Y, Peters U, North KE, Heiss G, Crawford DC, Haiman CA, Wilkens LR, Bush WS, Kooperberg C, Cheng I, Le Marchand L,. Multiple primary […]
- Bis, JC, Jian, X, Kunkle, BW, Chen, Y, Hamilton-Nelson, KL, Bush, WS, Salerno, WJ, Lancour, D, Ma, Y, Renton, AE et al.. Correction: Whole exome sequencing study identifies novel rare and common Alzheimer's-Associated variants involved in immune response and transcriptional regulation. Mol. Psychiatry 2019; : . PubMed PMID:31636380 .
- Dumitrescu, L, Barnes, LL, Thambisetty, M, Beecham, G, Kunkle, B, Bush, WS, Gifford, KA, Chibnik, LB, Mukherjee, S, De Jager, PL et al.. Sex differences in the genetic predictors of Alzheimer's pathology. Brain 2019; 142 (9): 2581-2589. PubMed PMID:31497858 PubMed Central PMC6736148.
- Bush, WS, Cooke Bailey, JN, Beno, MF, Crawford, DC. Bridging the Gaps in Personalized Medicine Value Assessment: A Review of the Need for Outcome Metrics across Stakeholders and Scientific Disciplines. Public Health Genomics 2019; 22 (1-2): 16-24. PubMed PMID:31454805 PubMed Central PMC6752968.
- Kunkle, BW, Grenier-Boley, B, Sims, R, Bis, JC, Damotte, V, Naj, AC, Boland, A, Vronskaya, M, van der Lee, SJ, Amlie-Wolf, A et al.. Author Correction: Genetic meta-analysis of diagnosed Alzheimer's disease identifies new risk loci and implicates Aβ, tau, immunity and lipid processing. Nat. Genet. 2019; 51 (9): 1423-1424. PubMed PMID:31417202 .
- Gardner, OK, Wang, L, Van Booven, D, Whitehead, PL, Hamilton-Nelson, KL, Adams, LD, Starks, TD, Hofmann, NK, Vance, JM, Cuccaro, ML et al.. RNA editing alterations in a multi-ethnic Alzheimer disease cohort converge on immune and endocytic molecular pathways. Hum. Mol. Genet. 2019; 28 (18): 3053-3061. PubMed PMID:31162550 PubMed Central PMC6737295.
- Li, Y, Xiao, X, Bossé, Y, Gorlova, O, Gorlov, I, Han, Y, Byun, J, Leighl, N, Johansen, JS, Barnett, M et al.. Genetic interaction analysis among oncogenesis-related genes revealed novel genes and networks in lung cancer development. Oncotarget 2019; 10 (19): 1760-1774. PubMed PMID:30956756 PubMed Central PMC6442994.
- Kunkle, BW, Grenier-Boley, B, Sims, R, Bis, JC, Damotte, V, Naj, AC, Boland, A, Vronskaya, M, van der Lee, SJ, Amlie-Wolf, A et al.. Genetic meta-analysis of diagnosed Alzheimer's disease identifies new risk loci and implicates Aβ, tau, immunity and lipid processing. Nat. Genet. 2019; 51 (3): 414-430. PubMed PMID:30820047 PubMed Central PMC6463297.
- Beecham, GW, Vardarajan, B, Blue, E, Bush, W, Jaworski, J, Barral, S, DeStefano, A, Hamilton-Nelson, K, Kunkle, B, Martin, ER et al.. Rare genetic variation implicated in non-Hispanic white families with Alzheimer disease. Neurol Genet 2018; 4 (6): e286. PubMed PMID:30569016 PubMed Central PMC6278241.
- Arabnejad, M, Dawkins, BA, Bush, WS, White, BC, Harkness, AR, McKinney, BA. Transition-transversion encoding and genetic relationship metric in ReliefF feature selection improves pathway enrichment in GWAS. BioData Min 2018; 11 : 23. PubMed PMID:30410580 PubMed Central PMC6215626.
- Kallianpur, AR, Gittleman, H, Letendre, S, Ellis, R, Barnholtz-Sloan, JS, Bush, WS, Heaton, R, Samuels, DC, Franklin, DR Jr, Rosario-Cookson, D et al.. Cerebrospinal Fluid Ceruloplasmin, Haptoglobin, and Vascular Endothelial Growth Factor Are Associated with Neurocognitive Impairment in Adults with HIV Infection. Mol. Neurobiol. 2019; 56 (5): 3808-3818. PubMed PMID:30209774 .