WILLIAM S. BUSH, PH.D.
Associate Director for Bioinformatics Research
William S. Bush, Ph.D. is an Associate Professor in the Department of Population and Quantitative Health Sciences and the Institute for Computational Biology at Case Western Reserve University. Dr. Bush received his Ph.D. at Vanderbilt University in Human Genetics in 2008 and then continued as a post-doctoral fellow in the Neurogenomics Training Program at Vanderbilt. Dr. Bush was recently named a Mt. Sinai Health Care Foundation Scholar. As a human geneticist and bioinformatician, Dr. Bush’s research interests include understanding the functional impact of genetic variation, developing statistical and bioinformatics approaches for integrating functional genomics knowledge into genetic analysis, and the use of electronic medical records for translational research.
Davis MF, Sriram S, Bush WS, Denny JC, Haines JL,. The clinical course of multiple sclerosis (MS) is highly variable, and research data collection is costly and time consuming. We evaluated natural language processing techniques applied to electronic medical records (EMR) to identify MS patients and the key clinical traits of their disease course.We used […]
Bruehl S, Denton JS, Lonergan D, Koran ME, Chont M, Sobey C, Fernando S, Bush WS, Mishra P, Thornton-Wells TA,. G-protein coupled inwardly rectifying potassium (GIRK) channels are effectors determining degree of analgesia experienced upon opioid receptor activation by endogenous and exogenous opioids. The impact of GIRK-related genetic variation on human pain responses has received […]
Rapid storage and retrieval of genomic intervals from a relational database system using nested containment lists.
Wiley LK, Sivley RM, Bush WS,. Efficient storage and retrieval of genomic annotations based on range intervals is necessary, given the amount of data produced by next-generation sequencing studies. The indexing strategies of relational database systems (such as MySQL) greatly inhibit their use in genomic annotation tasks. This has led to the development of stand-alone […]
Predazzi IM, Rokas A, Deinard A, Schnetz-Boutaud N, Williams ND, Bush WS, Tacconelli A, Friedrich K, Fazio S, Novelli G, Haines JL, Sirugo G, Williams SM,. Natural selection shapes many human genes, including some related to complex diseases. Understanding how selection affects genes, especially pleiotropic ones, may be important in evaluating disease associations and the […]
Wiley LK, Shah A, Xu H, Bush WS,. To evaluate the validity of, characterize the usage of, and propose potential research applications for International Classification of Diseases, Ninth Revision (ICD-9) tobacco codes in clinical populations.Using data on cancer cases and cancer-free controls from Vanderbilt’s biorepository, BioVU, we evaluated the utility of ICD-9 tobacco use codes […]
- Kallianpur, AR, Gittleman, H, Letendre, S, Ellis, R, Barnholtz-Sloan, JS, Bush, WS, Heaton, R, Samuels, DC, Franklin, DR Jr, Rosario-Cookson, D et al.. Cerebrospinal Fluid Ceruloplasmin, Haptoglobin, and Vascular Endothelial Growth Factor Are Associated with Neurocognitive Impairment in Adults with HIV Infection. Mol. Neurobiol. 2018; : . PubMed PMID:30209774 .
- Bis, JC, Jian, X, Kunkle, BW, Chen, Y, Hamilton-Nelson, KL, Bush, WS, Salerno, WJ, Lancour, D, Ma, Y, Renton, AE et al.. Whole exome sequencing study identifies novel rare and common Alzheimer's-Associated variants involved in immune response and transcriptional regulation. Mol. Psychiatry 2018; : . PubMed PMID:30108311 .
- Ji, X, Bossé, Y, Landi, MT, Gui, J, Xiao, X, Qian, D, Joubert, P, Lamontagne, M, Li, Y, Gorlov, I et al.. Identification of susceptibility pathways for the role of chromosome 15q25.1 in modifying lung cancer risk. Nat Commun 2018; 9 (1): 3221. PubMed PMID:30104567 PubMed Central PMC6089967.
- Igo, RP Jr, Hall, NB, Malone, LL, Hall, JB, Truitt, B, Qiu, F, Tao, L, Mupere, E, Schnell, A, Hawn, TR et al.. Fine-mapping analysis of a chromosome 2 region linked to resistance to Mycobacterium tuberculosis infection in Uganda reveals potential regulatory variants. Genes Immun. 2018; : . PubMed PMID:30100616 .
- Smieszek, S, Jia, P, Samuels, DC, Zhao, Z, Barnholtz-Sloan, J, Kaur, H, Letendre, S, Ellis, R, Franklin, DR, Hulgan, T et al.. Nuclear-Mitochondrial interactions influence susceptibility to HIV-associated neurocognitive impairment. Mitochondrion 2018; : . PubMed PMID:30026132 .
- Deming, Y, Dumitrescu, L, Barnes, LL, Thambisetty, M, Kunkle, B, Gifford, KA, Bush, WS, Chibnik, LB, Mukherjee, S, De Jager, PL et al.. Sex-specific genetic predictors of Alzheimer's disease biomarkers. Acta Neuropathol. 2018; : . PubMed PMID:29967939 .
- Cooke Bailey, JN, Crawford, DC, Goldenberg, A, Slaven, A, Pencak, J, Schachere, M, Bush, WS, Sedor, JR, O'Toole, JF. Willingness to Participate in a National Precision Medicine Cohort: Attitudes of Chronic Kidney Disease Patients at a Cleveland Public Hospital. J Pers Med 2018; 8 (3): . PubMed PMID:29949895 PubMed Central PMC6164471.
- Crawford, DC, Bailey, JNC, Miskimen, K, Miron, P, McCauley, JL, Sedor, JR, ƠToole, JF, Bush, WS. Somatic T-cell Receptor Diversity in a Chronic Kidney Disease PatientPopulation Linked to Electronic Health Records. AMIA Jt Summits Transl Sci Proc 2018; 2017 : 63-71. PubMed PMID:29888042 PubMed Central PMC5961818.
- Jones, CC, Mercaldo, SF, Blume, JD, Wenzlaff, AS, Schwartz, AG, Chen, H, Deppen, SA, Bush, WS, Crawford, DC, Chanock, SJ et al.. Racial Disparities in Lung Cancer Survival: The Contribution of Stage, Treatment, and Ancestry. J Thorac Oncol 2018; 13 (10): 1464-1473. PubMed PMID:29885480 PubMed Central PMC6153049.
- Naj, AC, Lin, H, Vardarajan, BN, White, S, Lancour, D, Ma, Y, Schmidt, M, Sun, F, Butkiewicz, M, Bush, WS et al.. Quality control and integration of genotypes from two calling pipelines for whole genome sequence data in the Alzheimer's disease sequencing project. Genomics 2018; : . PubMed PMID:29857119 .