WILLIAM S. BUSH, PHD, MS
Associate Director for Bioinformatics Research
William S. Bush, PhD, MS, is Associate Professor in the Department of Population and Quantitative Health Sciences and the Cleveland Institute for Computational Biology at Case Western Reserve University. Dr. Bush received his PhD at Vanderbilt University in Human Genetics in 2008 and then continued as a post-doctoral fellow in the Neurogenomics Training Program at Vanderbilt. Dr. Bush was recently named a Mt. Sinai Health Care Foundation Scholar. As a human geneticist and bioinformatician, Dr. Bush’s research interests include understanding the functional impact of genetic variation, developing statistical and bioinformatics approaches for integrating functional genomics knowledge into genetic analysis, and the use of electronic medical records for translational research.
Setiawan VW, Schumacher F, Prescott J, Haessler J, Malinowski J, Wentzensen N, Yang H, Chanock S, Brinton L, Hartge P, Lissowska J, Park SL, Cheng I, Bush WS, Crawford DC, Ursin G, Horn-Ross P, Bernstein L, Lu L, Risch H, Yu H, Sakoda LC, Doherty J, Chen C, Jackson R, Yasmeen S, Cote M, Kocarnik […]
Anderson LL, Thompson CH, Hawkins NA, Nath RD, Petersohn AA, Rajamani S, Bush WS, Frankel WN, Vanoye CG, Kearney JA, George AL,. Evidence from basic neurophysiology and molecular genetics has implicated persistent sodium current conducted by voltage-gated sodium (NaV ) channels as a contributor to the pathogenesis of epilepsy. Many antiepileptic drugs target NaV channels […]
Crawford DC, Crosslin DR, Tromp G, Kullo IJ, Kuivaniemi H, Hayes MG, Denny JC, Bush WS, Haines JL, Roden DM, McCarty CA, Jarvik GP, Ritchie MD,. The electronic MEdical Records & GEnomics (eMERGE) network was established in 2007 by the National Human Genome Research Institute (NHGRI) of the National Institutes of Health (NIH) in part […]
Golson ML, Bush WS, Brissova M,. β-Cell mass is a parameter commonly measured in studies of islet biology and diabetes. However, the rigorous quantification of pancreatic β-cell mass using conventional histological methods is a time-consuming process. Rapidly evolving virtual slide technology with high-resolution slide scanners and newly developed image analysis tools has the potential to […]
Replication of associations between GWAS SNPs and melanoma risk in the Population Architecture Using Genomics and Epidemiology (PAGE) Study.
Kocarnik JM, Park SL, Han J, Dumitrescu L, Cheng I, Wilkens LR, Schumacher FR, Kolonel L, Carlson CS, Crawford DC, Goodloe RJ, Dilks H, Baker P, Richardson D, Ambite JL, Song F, Quresh AA, Zhang M, Duggan D, Hutter C, Hindorff LA, Bush WS, Kooperberg C, Le Marchand L, Peters U,.
- Bush, WS, Wheeler, N, Beaulieu-Jones, B, Darabos, C. Packaging Biocomputing Software to Maximize Distribution and Reuse. Pac Symp Biocomput 2020; 25 : 739-742. PubMed PMID:31797644 .
- Crawford, DC, Lin, J, Cooke Bailey, JN, Kinzy, T, Sedor, JR, O'Toole, JF, Bush, WS. Frequency of ClinVar Pathogenic Variants in Chronic Kidney Disease Patients Surveyed for Return of Research Results at a Cleveland Public Hospital. Pac Symp Biocomput 2020; 25 : 575-586. PubMed PMID:31797629 PubMed Central PMC6931908.
- Wheeler, NR, Benchek, P, Kunkle, BW, Hamilton-Nelson, KL, Warfe, M, Fondran, JR, Haines, JL, Bush, WS. Hadoop and PySpark for reproducibility and scalability of genomic sequencing studies. Pac Symp Biocomput 2020; 25 : 523-534. PubMed PMID:31797624 PubMed Central PMC6956992.
- Bis, JC, Jian, X, Kunkle, BW, Chen, Y, Hamilton-Nelson, KL, Bush, WS, Salerno, WJ, Lancour, D, Ma, Y, Renton, AE et al.. Correction: Whole exome sequencing study identifies novel rare and common Alzheimer's-Associated variants involved in immune response and transcriptional regulation. Mol. Psychiatry 2019; : . PubMed PMID:31636380 .
- Dumitrescu, L, Barnes, LL, Thambisetty, M, Beecham, G, Kunkle, B, Bush, WS, Gifford, KA, Chibnik, LB, Mukherjee, S, De Jager, PL et al.. Sex differences in the genetic predictors of Alzheimer's pathology. Brain 2019; 142 (9): 2581-2589. PubMed PMID:31497858 PubMed Central PMC6736148.
- Bush, WS, Cooke Bailey, JN, Beno, MF, Crawford, DC. Bridging the Gaps in Personalized Medicine Value Assessment: A Review of the Need for Outcome Metrics across Stakeholders and Scientific Disciplines. Public Health Genomics 2019; 22 (1-2): 16-24. PubMed PMID:31454805 PubMed Central PMC6752968.
- Kunkle, BW, Grenier-Boley, B, Sims, R, Bis, JC, Damotte, V, Naj, AC, Boland, A, Vronskaya, M, van der Lee, SJ, Amlie-Wolf, A et al.. Author Correction: Genetic meta-analysis of diagnosed Alzheimer's disease identifies new risk loci and implicates Aβ, tau, immunity and lipid processing. Nat. Genet. 2019; 51 (9): 1423-1424. PubMed PMID:31417202 .
- Gardner, OK, Wang, L, Van Booven, D, Whitehead, PL, Hamilton-Nelson, KL, Adams, LD, Starks, TD, Hofmann, NK, Vance, JM, Cuccaro, ML et al.. RNA editing alterations in a multi-ethnic Alzheimer disease cohort converge on immune and endocytic molecular pathways. Hum. Mol. Genet. 2019; 28 (18): 3053-3061. PubMed PMID:31162550 PubMed Central PMC6737295.
- Li, Y, Xiao, X, Bossé, Y, Gorlova, O, Gorlov, I, Han, Y, Byun, J, Leighl, N, Johansen, JS, Barnett, M et al.. Genetic interaction analysis among oncogenesis-related genes revealed novel genes and networks in lung cancer development. Oncotarget 2019; 10 (19): 1760-1774. PubMed PMID:30956756 PubMed Central PMC6442994.
- Kunkle, BW, Grenier-Boley, B, Sims, R, Bis, JC, Damotte, V, Naj, AC, Boland, A, Vronskaya, M, van der Lee, SJ, Amlie-Wolf, A et al.. Genetic meta-analysis of diagnosed Alzheimer's disease identifies new risk loci and implicates Aβ, tau, immunity and lipid processing. Nat. Genet. 2019; 51 (3): 414-430. PubMed PMID:30820047 PubMed Central PMC6463297.