WILLIAM S. BUSH, PH.D.
Associate Director for Bioinformatics Research
William S. Bush, Ph.D. is an Associate Professor in the Department of Population and Quantitative Health Sciences and the Institute for Computational Biology at Case Western Reserve University. Dr. Bush received his Ph.D. at Vanderbilt University in Human Genetics in 2008 and then continued as a post-doctoral fellow in the Neurogenomics Training Program at Vanderbilt. Dr. Bush was recently named a Mt. Sinai Health Care Foundation Scholar. As a human geneticist and bioinformatician, Dr. Bush’s research interests include understanding the functional impact of genetic variation, developing statistical and bioinformatics approaches for integrating functional genomics knowledge into genetic analysis, and the use of electronic medical records for translational research.
Setiawan VW, Schumacher F, Prescott J, Haessler J, Malinowski J, Wentzensen N, Yang H, Chanock S, Brinton L, Hartge P, Lissowska J, Park SL, Cheng I, Bush WS, Crawford DC, Ursin G, Horn-Ross P, Bernstein L, Lu L, Risch H, Yu H, Sakoda LC, Doherty J, Chen C, Jackson R, Yasmeen S, Cote M, Kocarnik […]
Anderson LL, Thompson CH, Hawkins NA, Nath RD, Petersohn AA, Rajamani S, Bush WS, Frankel WN, Vanoye CG, Kearney JA, George AL,. Evidence from basic neurophysiology and molecular genetics has implicated persistent sodium current conducted by voltage-gated sodium (NaV ) channels as a contributor to the pathogenesis of epilepsy. Many antiepileptic drugs target NaV channels […]
Crawford DC, Crosslin DR, Tromp G, Kullo IJ, Kuivaniemi H, Hayes MG, Denny JC, Bush WS, Haines JL, Roden DM, McCarty CA, Jarvik GP, Ritchie MD,. The electronic MEdical Records & GEnomics (eMERGE) network was established in 2007 by the National Human Genome Research Institute (NHGRI) of the National Institutes of Health (NIH) in part […]
Golson ML, Bush WS, Brissova M,. β-Cell mass is a parameter commonly measured in studies of islet biology and diabetes. However, the rigorous quantification of pancreatic β-cell mass using conventional histological methods is a time-consuming process. Rapidly evolving virtual slide technology with high-resolution slide scanners and newly developed image analysis tools has the potential to […]
Replication of associations between GWAS SNPs and melanoma risk in the Population Architecture Using Genomics and Epidemiology (PAGE) Study.
Kocarnik JM, Park SL, Han J, Dumitrescu L, Cheng I, Wilkens LR, Schumacher FR, Kolonel L, Carlson CS, Crawford DC, Goodloe RJ, Dilks H, Baker P, Richardson D, Ambite JL, Song F, Quresh AA, Zhang M, Duggan D, Hutter C, Hindorff LA, Bush WS, Kooperberg C, Le Marchand L, Peters U,.
- Beecham, GW, Vardarajan, B, Blue, E, Bush, W, Jaworski, J, Barral, S, DeStefano, A, Hamilton-Nelson, K, Kunkle, B, Martin, ER et al.. Rare genetic variation implicated in non-Hispanic white families with Alzheimer disease. Neurol Genet 2018; 4 (6): e286. PubMed PMID:30569016 PubMed Central PMC6278241.
- Arabnejad, M, Dawkins, BA, Bush, WS, White, BC, Harkness, AR, McKinney, BA. Transition-transversion encoding and genetic relationship metric in ReliefF feature selection improves pathway enrichment in GWAS. BioData Min 2018; 11 : 23. PubMed PMID:30410580 PubMed Central PMC6215626.
- Kallianpur, AR, Gittleman, H, Letendre, S, Ellis, R, Barnholtz-Sloan, JS, Bush, WS, Heaton, R, Samuels, DC, Franklin, DR Jr, Rosario-Cookson, D et al.. Cerebrospinal Fluid Ceruloplasmin, Haptoglobin, and Vascular Endothelial Growth Factor Are Associated with Neurocognitive Impairment in Adults with HIV Infection. Mol. Neurobiol. 2018; : . PubMed PMID:30209774 .
- Bis, JC, Jian, X, Kunkle, BW, Chen, Y, Hamilton-Nelson, KL, Bush, WS, Salerno, WJ, Lancour, D, Ma, Y, Renton, AE et al.. Whole exome sequencing study identifies novel rare and common Alzheimer's-Associated variants involved in immune response and transcriptional regulation. Mol. Psychiatry 2018; : . PubMed PMID:30108311 PubMed Central PMC6375806.
- Ji, X, Bossé, Y, Landi, MT, Gui, J, Xiao, X, Qian, D, Joubert, P, Lamontagne, M, Li, Y, Gorlov, I et al.. Identification of susceptibility pathways for the role of chromosome 15q25.1 in modifying lung cancer risk. Nat Commun 2018; 9 (1): 3221. PubMed PMID:30104567 PubMed Central PMC6089967.
- Igo, RP Jr, Hall, NB, Malone, LL, Hall, JB, Truitt, B, Qiu, F, Tao, L, Mupere, E, Schnell, A, Hawn, TR et al.. Fine-mapping analysis of a chromosome 2 region linked to resistance to Mycobacterium tuberculosis infection in Uganda reveals potential regulatory variants. Genes Immun. 2018; : . PubMed PMID:30100616 PubMed Central PMC6374218.
- Smieszek, S, Jia, P, Samuels, DC, Zhao, Z, Barnholtz-Sloan, J, Kaur, H, Letendre, S, Ellis, R, Franklin, DR, Hulgan, T et al.. Nuclear-Mitochondrial interactions influence susceptibility to HIV-associated neurocognitive impairment. Mitochondrion 2018; : . PubMed PMID:30026132 PubMed Central PMC6336535.
- Deming, Y, Dumitrescu, L, Barnes, LL, Thambisetty, M, Kunkle, B, Gifford, KA, Bush, WS, Chibnik, LB, Mukherjee, S, De Jager, PL et al.. Sex-specific genetic predictors of Alzheimer's disease biomarkers. Acta Neuropathol. 2018; 136 (6): 857-872. PubMed PMID:29967939 PubMed Central PMC6280657.
- Cooke Bailey, JN, Crawford, DC, Goldenberg, A, Slaven, A, Pencak, J, Schachere, M, Bush, WS, Sedor, JR, O'Toole, JF. Willingness to Participate in a National Precision Medicine Cohort: Attitudes of Chronic Kidney Disease Patients at a Cleveland Public Hospital. J Pers Med 2018; 8 (3): . PubMed PMID:29949895 PubMed Central PMC6164471.
- Crawford, DC, Bailey, JNC, Miskimen, K, Miron, P, McCauley, JL, Sedor, JR, ƠToole, JF, Bush, WS. Somatic T-cell Receptor Diversity in a Chronic Kidney Disease PatientPopulation Linked to Electronic Health Records. AMIA Jt Summits Transl Sci Proc 2018; 2017 : 63-71. PubMed PMID:29888042 PubMed Central PMC5961818.