WILLIAM S. BUSH, PHD, MS
Associate Director for Bioinformatics Research
William S. Bush, PhD, MS, is Associate Professor in the Department of Population and Quantitative Health Sciences and the Cleveland Institute for Computational Biology at Case Western Reserve University. Dr. Bush received his PhD at Vanderbilt University in Human Genetics in 2008 and then continued as a post-doctoral fellow in the Neurogenomics Training Program at Vanderbilt. Dr. Bush was recently named a Mt. Sinai Health Care Foundation Scholar. As a human geneticist and bioinformatician, Dr. Bush’s research interests include understanding the functional impact of genetic variation, developing statistical and bioinformatics approaches for integrating functional genomics knowledge into genetic analysis, and the use of electronic medical records for translational research.
Association of Arrhythmia-Related Genetic Variants With Phenotypes Documented in Electronic Medical Records.
Van Driest SL, Wells QS, Stallings S, Bush WS, Gordon A, Nickerson DA, Kim JH, Crosslin DR, Jarvik GP, Carrell DS, Ralston JD, Larson EB, Bielinski SJ, Olson JE, Ye Z, Kullo IJ, Abul-Husn NS, Scott SA, Bottinger E, Almoguera B, Connolly J, Chiavacci R, Hakonarson H, Rasmussen-Torvik LJ, Pan V, Persell SD, Smith M, […]
Dumitrescu L, Restrepo NA, Goodloe R, Boston J, Farber-Eger E, Pendergrass SA, Bush WS, Crawford DC,. Racial/ethnic differences for commonly measured clinical variables are well documented, and it has been postulated that population-specific genetic factors may play a role. The genetic heterogeneity of admixed populations, such as African Americans, provides a unique opportunity to identify […]
Estimating cumulative pathway effects on risk for age-related macular degeneration using mixed linear models.
Hall JB, Cooke Bailey JN, Hoffman JD, Pericak-Vance MA, Scott WK, Kovach JL, Schwartz SG, Agarwal A, Brantley MA, Haines JL, Bush WS,. Age-related macular degeneration (AMD) is the leading cause of irreversible visual loss in the elderly in developed countries and typically affects more than 10% of individuals over age 80. AMD has a […]
Chapman KA, Bush WS, Zhang Z,. Propionic acidemia (PA) is an inborn of metabolism which usually presents with metabolic acidosis and accumulation of 3-hydroxypropionate among other toxins. Examining the gene expression in lymphoblastoid cell lines (LCLs) from PA patients, their carrier parents and age/sex-matched controls at normal glucose and low glucose growth conditions demonstrated differences […]
Predazzi IM, Sobota RS, Sanna S, Bush WS, Bartlett J, Lilley JS, Linton MF, Schlessinger D, Cucca F, Fazio S, Williams SM,. Plasma lipid levels are highly heritable traits, but known genetic loci can only explain a small portion of their heritability.In this study, we analyzed the role of parental levels of total cholesterol (TC), […]
- Darst, BF, Wan, P, Sheng, X, Bensen, JT, Ingles, SA, Rybicki, BA, Nemesure, B, John, EM, Fowke, JH, Stevens, VL et al.. A Germline Variant at 8q24 Contributes to Familial Clustering of Prostate Cancer in Men of African Ancestry. Eur. Urol. 2020; : . PubMed PMID:32409115 .
- Ji, X, Mukherjee, S, Landi, MT, Bosse, Y, Joubert, P, Zhu, D, Gorlov, I, Xiao, X, Han, Y, Gorlova, O et al.. Protein-altering germline mutations implicate novel genes related to lung cancer development. Nat Commun 2020; 11 (1): 2220. PubMed PMID:32393777 PubMed Central PMC7214407.
- Bush, WS, Wheeler, N, Beaulieu-Jones, B, Darabos, C. Packaging Biocomputing Software to Maximize Distribution and Reuse. Pac Symp Biocomput 2020; 25 : 739-742. PubMed PMID:31797644 .
- Crawford, DC, Lin, J, Cooke Bailey, JN, Kinzy, T, Sedor, JR, O'Toole, JF, Bush, WS. Frequency of ClinVar Pathogenic Variants in Chronic Kidney Disease Patients Surveyed for Return of Research Results at a Cleveland Public Hospital. Pac Symp Biocomput 2020; 25 : 575-586. PubMed PMID:31797629 PubMed Central PMC6931908.
- Wheeler, NR, Benchek, P, Kunkle, BW, Hamilton-Nelson, KL, Warfe, M, Fondran, JR, Haines, JL, Bush, WS. Hadoop and PySpark for reproducibility and scalability of genomic sequencing studies. Pac Symp Biocomput 2020; 25 : 523-534. PubMed PMID:31797624 PubMed Central PMC6956992.
- Bis, JC, Jian, X, Kunkle, BW, Chen, Y, Hamilton-Nelson, KL, Bush, WS, Salerno, WJ, Lancour, D, Ma, Y, Renton, AE et al.. Correction: Whole exome sequencing study identifies novel rare and common Alzheimer's-Associated variants involved in immune response and transcriptional regulation. Mol. Psychiatry 2019; : . PubMed PMID:31636380 .
- Dumitrescu, L, Barnes, LL, Thambisetty, M, Beecham, G, Kunkle, B, Bush, WS, Gifford, KA, Chibnik, LB, Mukherjee, S, De Jager, PL et al.. Sex differences in the genetic predictors of Alzheimer's pathology. Brain 2019; 142 (9): 2581-2589. PubMed PMID:31497858 PubMed Central PMC6736148.
- Bush, WS, Cooke Bailey, JN, Beno, MF, Crawford, DC. Bridging the Gaps in Personalized Medicine Value Assessment: A Review of the Need for Outcome Metrics across Stakeholders and Scientific Disciplines. Public Health Genomics 2019; 22 (1-2): 16-24. PubMed PMID:31454805 PubMed Central PMC6752968.
- Kunkle, BW, Grenier-Boley, B, Sims, R, Bis, JC, Damotte, V, Naj, AC, Boland, A, Vronskaya, M, van der Lee, SJ, Amlie-Wolf, A et al.. Author Correction: Genetic meta-analysis of diagnosed Alzheimer's disease identifies new risk loci and implicates Aβ, tau, immunity and lipid processing. Nat. Genet. 2019; 51 (9): 1423-1424. PubMed PMID:31417202 PubMed Central PMC7265117.
- Gardner, OK, Wang, L, Van Booven, D, Whitehead, PL, Hamilton-Nelson, KL, Adams, LD, Starks, TD, Hofmann, NK, Vance, JM, Cuccaro, ML et al.. RNA editing alterations in a multi-ethnic Alzheimer disease cohort converge on immune and endocytic molecular pathways. Hum. Mol. Genet. 2019; 28 (18): 3053-3061. PubMed PMID:31162550 PubMed Central PMC6737295.