WILLIAM S. BUSH, PH.D.
Assistant Director for Computational Methods
William S. Bush, Ph.D. is an Assistant Professor in the Department of Epidemiology and Biostatistics and the Institute for Computational Biology at Case Western Reserve University. Dr. Bush received his Ph.D. at Vanderbilt University in Human Genetics in 2008 and then continued as a post-doctoral fellow in the Neurogenomics Training Program at Vanderbilt. Dr. Bush was recently named a Mt. Sinai Health Care Foundation Scholar. As a human geneticist and bioinformatician, Dr. Bush’s research interests include understanding the functional impact of genetic variation, developing statistical and bioinformatics approaches for integrating functional genomics knowledge into genetic analysis, and the use of electronic medical records for translational research.
Bush WS, Crosslin DR, Owusu-Obeng A, Wallace J, Almoguera B, Basford MA, Bielinski SJ, Carrell DS, Connolly JJ, Crawford D, Doheny KF, Gallego CJ, Gordon AS, Keating B, Kirby J, Kitchner T, Manzi S, Mejia AR, Pan V, Perry CL, Peterson JF, Prows CA, Ralston J, Scott SA, Scrol A, Smith M, Stallings SC, Veldhuizen […]
Is Isolated Low High-Density Lipoprotein Cholesterol a Cardiovascular Disease Risk Factor? New Insights From the Framingham Offspring Study.
Bartlett J, Predazzi IM, Williams SM, Bush WS, Kim Y, Havas S, Toth PP, Fazio S, Miller M,. Although the inverse association between high-density lipoprotein cholesterol (HDL-C) and risk of cardiovascular disease (CVD) has been long established, it remains unclear whether low HDL-C remains a CVD risk factor when levels of low-density lipoprotein cholesterol (LDL-C) […]
Simonti CN, Vernot B, Bastarache L, Bottinger E, Carrell DS, Chisholm RL, Crosslin DR, Hebbring SJ, Jarvik GP, Kullo IJ, Li R, Pathak J, Ritchie MD, Roden DM, Verma SS, Tromp G, Prato JD, Bush WS, Akey JM, Denny JC, Capra JA,. Many modern human genomes retain DNA inherited from interbreeding with archaic hominins, such […]
Discovery of gene-gene interactions across multiple independent data sets of late onset Alzheimer disease from the Alzheimer Disease Genetics Consortium.
Hohman TJ, Bush WS, Jiang L, Brown-Gentry KD, Torstenson ES, Dudek SM, Mukherjee S, Naj A, Kunkle BW, Ritchie MD, Martin ER, Schellenberg GD, Mayeux R, Farrer LA, Pericak-Vance MA, Haines JL, Thornton-Wells TA, ,. Late-onset Alzheimer disease (AD) has a complex genetic etiology, involving locus heterogeneity, polygenic inheritance, and gene-gene interactions; however, the investigation […]
Association of Arrhythmia-Related Genetic Variants With Phenotypes Documented in Electronic Medical Records.
Van Driest SL, Wells QS, Stallings S, Bush WS, Gordon A, Nickerson DA, Kim JH, Crosslin DR, Jarvik GP, Carrell DS, Ralston JD, Larson EB, Bielinski SJ, Olson JE, Ye Z, Kullo IJ, Abul-Husn NS, Scott SA, Bottinger E, Almoguera B, Connolly J, Chiavacci R, Hakonarson H, Rasmussen-Torvik LJ, Pan V, Persell SD, Smith M, […]
- Jia, P, Zhao, Z, Hulgan, T, Bush, WS, Samuels, DC, Bloss, CS, Heaton, RK, Ellis, RJ, Schork, N, Marra, CM et al.. Genome-wide association study of HIV-associated neurocognitive disorder (HAND): A CHARTER group study. Am. J. Med. Genet. B Neuropsychiatr. Genet. 2017; : . PubMed PMID:28447399 .
- Patton, SM, Wang, Q, Hulgan, T, Connor, JR, Jia, P, Zhao, Z, Letendre, SL, Ellis, RJ, Bush, WS, Samuels, DC et al.. Cerebrospinal fluid (CSF) biomarkers of iron status are associated with CSF viral load, antiretroviral therapy, and demographic factors in HIV-infected adults. Fluids Barriers CNS 2017; 14 (1): 11. PubMed PMID:28427421 PubMed Central PMC5399327.
- Zubair, N, Graff, M, Luis Ambite, J, Bush, WS, Kichaev, G, Lu, Y, Manichaikul, A, Sheu, WH, Absher, D, Assimes, TL et al.. Fine-mapping of lipid regions in global populations discovers ethnic-specific signals and refines previously identified lipid loci. Hum. Mol. Genet. 2016; 25 (24): 5500-5512. PubMed PMID:28426890 .
- Fernández-Rhodes, L, Gong, J, Haessler, J, Franceschini, N, Graff, M, Nishimura, KK, Wang, Y, Highland, HM, Yoneyama, S, Bush, WS et al.. Trans-ethnic fine-mapping of genetic loci for body mass index in the diverse ancestral populations of the Population Architecture using Genomics and Epidemiology (PAGE) Study reveals evidence for multiple signals at established loci. Hum. Genet. 2017; : . PubMed PMID:28391526 .
- Samuels, DC, Kallianpur, AR, Ellis, RJ, Bush, WS, Letendre, S, Franklin, D, Grant, I, Hulgan, T. European Mitochondrial DNA Haplogroups are Associated with Cerebrospinal Fluid Biomarkers of Inflammation in HIV Infection. Pathog Immun ; 1 (2): 330-351. PubMed PMID:28317034 PubMed Central PMC5351881.
- Butkiewicz, M, Haines, JL, Bush, WS. Introducing COCOS: codon consequence scanner for annotating reading frame changes induced by stop-lost and frame shift variants. Bioinformatics 2017; : . PubMed PMID:28122779 .
- Bush, WS, Crawford, DC. Predicting Incident Coronary Heart Disease Many Markers at a Time. Circ Cardiovasc Genet 2016; 9 (6): 472-473. PubMed PMID:27998944 .
- Hall, JB, Bush, WS. Analysis of Heritability Using Genome-Wide Data. Curr Protoc Hum Genet 2016; 91 : 1.30.1-1.30.10. PubMed PMID:27727439 PubMed Central PMC5127448.
- Fish, AE, Capra, JA, Bush, WS. Are Interactions between cis-Regulatory Variants Evidence for Biological Epistasis or Statistical Artifacts? Am. J. Hum. Genet. 2016; 99 (4): 817-830. PubMed PMID:27640306 PubMed Central PMC5065654.
- Verma, A, Verma, SS, Pendergrass, SA, Crawford, DC, Crosslin, DR, Kuivaniemi, H, Bush, WS, Bradford, Y, Kullo, I, Bielinski, SJ et al.. eMERGE Phenome-Wide Association Study (PheWAS) identifies clinical associations and pleiotropy for stop-gain variants. BMC Med Genomics 2016; 9 Suppl 1 : 32. PubMed PMID:27535653 PubMed Central PMC4989894.